Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just spent the last 12 hours (+) at it, and surprisingly, It has all fit together extemely well, has very good finishes and excellent fixtures (blum).

I've done my first DIY electrical work, as well as plumbing and by Saturday it will be finished.

I am getting a carpenter to proffesionally cut our solid birch benchtops, and a gas-fitter is coming tomorrow to convert us from electric cooking to gas! At last!!

Does anyone else have any experience with installations, or long term use of an IKEA kitchen?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
yeah. IKEA kitchens are the best. I have one and it's very good quality!! Things like the hinges and the drawers are very, very good, and pricing is phenomenal. Gotta love IKEA. (No affiliation, just a happy customer)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
A man after my own heart. Doing renovations as you get really close to a busier part of life:D
Gotta love the allen key thang! I have quite a bit of IKEA joinery and it does wear extremely well. THe hinges are as good as, if not better than that a kitchen joiner would install.
And yes, I would expect nothing less than gas from you:p

Be careful on that DIY electrical mate

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have one too and install it recently, my only concern is the 4 shelf drawer which seems to get stuck into each other (cold, warm). There is no adjustment on these drawers, so that's the down side.

Well if you are looking for design and practicality IKEA is the way to go, but if you are looking for quality it is not.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I work part time at IKEA, mainly because they give full medical benifits for part timers. Some of their stuff is excellent quality for the price, but other stuff is no bargain...

·
Registered
776 Posts
My wife and I love our IKEA kitchen. I have to say the quality; hardware and wood, is better than most of what I saw in HDepot and Lowes. Pricewise, IKEA has them beat, hands down. And that was after factoring in the price of shipping from Illinois to Georgia.

After 5 years, the kitchen has held up very well. Nothing has broken. All the birch door panels have colored nicely with time.

I guess we must have followed the instructions correctly. Apparently we assembled it properly. :)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
A little help here

I work part time at IKEA, mainly because they give full medical benifits for part timers. Some of their stuff is excellent quality for the price, but other stuff is no bargain...
Stu -
Which is which?

:D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, good to hear a few good reports from the Statesiders.

The only thing I disagree with is, Giorgio68 - that its not a choice for quality. On the contrary in fact, I think everything is of a very high standard. ALL of our drawers and pull-out larder fronts have adjustability which pitches them at a notch up over some of the trade-built kitchens that i've seen.

As of tonight, the only task left is to have the solid top cut tomorrow morning, and then lay the mosaic tiles on the splash-back. Anyone got any tips!?!?

First photo here is the starting point, and then a bit of progress...

Final photo is taken as I write, hopefully 24 hours more and there will be nothing to do... ...but cook!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
kitchen

I installed an IKEA kitchen in my townhouse in DC. I'm an architect and the design is very contemporary. I used the horizontal upper cabinets with glass fronts. the lower base cabinets are gloss white and the countertops are black concrete. The quality is great and you cannot beat the price. The installation is fantastic with the hardware they supply- very easy to adjust (the house is 100 years old and nothing is square). It has been over a year and it still looks and works great.
Marco

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed IKEA Kitchen Practically by Myself

Outside of a plubmer & electrician, I installed my IKEA Kitchen mostly on my own about 2 years ago and it's holding up great. My sister bought a much more expensive kitchen from Home Depot & had professionals install it and the doors go uneven often and there's a lot of unlevel cabinets so the drawers and doors don't stay shut.

I think the difference is the IKEA legs are adjustable which makes it a breeze to level. I also love the way the wall cabinets get hung on a bar making them automatically level. The engineering of the pull out mechanisms and cushion close pieces is amazing. They're all snap-on... no tools required.

Putting the kitchen together was a lot of fun. Yes, it is tedious but also quick. Every cabinet is assembled the same way, so after you do the first one, the rest are very quick. Same goes for the doors, drawers, etc...

I'm attaching the picture of my Nexus Black/Brown kitchen. I still have to do the backsplash & vent hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
I too am looking at doing the Ikea cabinet thing. Our house has a nice kitchen with UGLY cheap white cabinets that are peeling apart. This will be my second kitchen renovation and I'm glad to hear people have had good long-term experiences with these cabinets.

For those of you using heavy countertops (granite, quartz, concrete), did you deck the cabinets with something like 3/4 inch plywood first? That's what I did on my last kitchen which had granite countertops but I've since seen some kitchens installed with no decking.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Plywood is a good idea but I just anchored the cabinets to the studs. I have granite with no issues.
What I meant was putting plywood on top of the cabinets to support the weight of the granite. I agree with you that I need to anchor them to the studs. The big problem with all of this is you start getting into the "might as wells". Since I'm putting in new cabinets I might as well put in a new tile floor, and a new refrigerator, and a new faucet!

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
My wifes favorite store is IKEA. In fact, we spent 7 hours in one today buying more bits for our kitchen and kitchen cabinets for use in the tavernna (gathering place, man cave wannabe). I'm afraid her next major project will be me painting the exterior of thehouse blue and yellow. Quality great, price - can't be beat some glitches that were particular to living here in Italy but overall a very satisfying thing. Pics to come. Ciao

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I've done three ikea kitchens now in three different houses. Quality is excellent. Particle board is usually thicker than the local suppliers and the hinges etc are top quality. I found the ikea doors (gloss white two pac) to be more expensive than local kitchen places, so bought these elsewhere, all other doors were cheaper at ikea... Never figured that out.

We did our own bench tops too, although I found routing and laminating the edges to be a bastard and wouldn't do that again. Stone for me next time. And yes there's going to be a next time soon and a bathroom shortly (120yr old house)

My obsession with Ikea runs a close second (joke) to Alfa Romeo in our family.
I have every Australian catalogue going back to 1987 :)
I fully expect yellow/green knitted roll tops for the wife (partner/significant other) to be back in fashion any day now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts