Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be relocating to New Zealand soon for the relief, I'm a professional Construction Manager/ Engineer, and probably permanent. I could use any info as I've started research for this endeavor including vehicle import (yup, GTV6 has got to go with me), pet, etc. Some local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Please pm me here or [email protected].

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
I am a New Zealander but now live in Sydney, Australia.

First thing I can tell you is that the Alfa Romeo Owners Club in New Zealand is fantastic, or it was when I was a member many years ago. Unfortunately I've let my membership go because it didn't make financial sense to keep it. It is the second biggest car club in New Zealand and you can get discounts for parts, etc. from Alfa dealers if you are a member.

Importing a car should not be a drama, but watch out for tax. If you intend to leave after a few years you will get the tax you have had to pay back ... but somebody else might be able to provide the details better than I. All I know it is cheaper to import a car in pieces because of this.

Good luck and thanks.
Pete

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm from New Zealand, come on down we can always do with some more Alfa fans.
I see that you are from the USA, don't forget that we drive on the right hand side and the import restrictions are alive and well for left hand drive cars. We are however a haven for 50's and 60's classic American cars and the V8 scene is huge, so go figure. For some reason and I don't really know why GTV6 Alfa's are dirt cheap. Absolutely mint silver GTV6 with ground up restore, shankel everything, gearbox engine reguild went for *$8300 about a year ago. That's NZ dollars!!. Here is a good site to check out everything that is forsale in NZ ...literally! And yes that includes ALfas. It is NZ's biggest website where everyone goes to buy and sell everything, cars, property, you name it. Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me.

You can also visit Guide to importing a vehicle | NZ Transport Agency
Importing a vehicle is explained here.

Cheers

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've starting the research on the vehicle import/transportation issues.

****, PSk, I already took this GTV6 apart and put it back together for the rebuild/restore work. I'd hate to ship it in pieces but this and the fully rebuilt/restored M635CSi are definitely going if I can help it. Fotos as evidence of why. I haven't got the gist of the import tax issue yet but the MoF (?) shouldn't be a problem as they're over 20 years old now.

Humpster, There's a Kiwi BMW guy on mye28.com who's been providing me with some initial data which are the 2 sites you refer to and I've been perusing them and registered with the BMW NZ club and will with the AROC NZ soon.

GTV6s are underappreciated everywhere; that's why they're great to own. I'm accustomed to LHD on RHD roads from living in the Carribean Islands.

I may need some local guidance as to what is where, etc. I'm sourcing work for now in Christchurch due to my professional abilities. I used to work for the CM firm that just built the Dubai 'tallest bldg in the world' achievement. I don't care about size anymore.

Seems it's more difficult to get my Chocolate Labrador (Khamsin after a Maserati, go figure) imported than a car.

Later.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi there,
It would be great to have another GTV6 in canterbury.
looks like you should qualify for class b in regards to importing a left hand drive car.
Importing a left-hand drive vehicle (Factsheet 12) | NZ Transport Agency
however they may require you to convert it to rhd. sad.
I would expect that at a minimum you will need to swap your headlights for rhd ones aswell.
for what it is worth it would be well worth it to bring in the gtv6 of your caliber to enjoy our stunning roads.

Let me know if i can help out with anything locally before you arrive.

Karl

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,922 Posts
I`m also from Christchurch (ChCh) You will love the roads here. Any new Alfisti is welcome here. Christchurch is probably the car capital of NZ so no matter what you are into there is a group of collectors here and a lot of interesting cars. I don`t think seeing as you are to be a resident here that you will have a problem compared to merely importing the cars-hopefully you may choose to stay permanently.
The Christchurch earthquake recovery programme is a biggie and most consider it will take a decade to rebuild the city and environs.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Karl,

Thanks for the link for auto importing. I understand that my cars will exempt due to the requirements as stated in the "Factsheet 12" from NZTA - Light Autos (< 3.5 tonnes) manufactured outside NZ that are a minimum 20 years old at the time of importation. Other criteria such as meeting normal and customary DOT/EPA stuff.

No way I'm going through the conversion. I think anybody who does that only has Marquis de Sade as a friend!!

"It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure."
Marquis de Sade

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, I haven't seen any requirements for vehicle insurance. What's the deal on this one? US is mandatory at all times everywhere I know of here with liability being minimum.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Car insurance is not compulsory in NZ, although it is advised.

I believe you will have a lot more hassle ($$$) getting a dog through quarantine than a car. NZ is notoriously strict with this sort of thing, my wifes friend brought a dog with her from Japan and it cost a fortune.

The ChCh guys are right, the classic car culture down there is pretty big, and the roads are fantastic.

I'm up in Auckland where you seem to have to drive for an hour just to find a road without traffic...

Good luck and welcome in advance.

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
I'm up in Auckland where you seem to have to drive for an hour just to find a road without traffic...
If you have not found the Waitakere ranges then do so, great road and if you live West Auckland only minutes away ...

Pete

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

Rik, No kidding on the pet import. The car is easier. I have done some initial research for the pet import and the MAFNZ states the dawg has to have a "rabies blood draw minimum 6 months prior to importation"!!! Then the dawg is quarantined for 30 days in NZ. You're correct also about the cost. I haven't added all the cost up yet because I don't have all the info as yet.

Let's see, if I go prior to the 6 months, there's boarding, transporting to shipping, shipping/transpo expenses, customs and then the 30 day quarantine.

Since she's named after a Maserati maybe I can import her as a car. Less hassle and no Khamsin was manufactured past 1980. Take a look at her foto and tell me if you think I can re-body her, like the Porsche 935s back in the day, temporarily as the car!!

BTW, she's the UK breed which were bred more for hunting than the retriever Labs. Much sleeker and fast. I clocked her 6 times in Freeport, GBI at 35 mph. I couldn't believe it!!

Yes, I'm looking very much forward to Sat or Sun spins on the back roads there as that's what these cars are meant for and/or the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you have not found the Waitakere ranges then do so, great road and if you live West Auckland only minutes away ...

Pete
Pete, I LIVE in the Waitakere Ranges. Great roads, when there's no traffic on them, which is rare these days. Sunday drives are an exercise in patience.

BTW, she's the UK breed which were bred more for hunting than the retriever Labs. Much sleeker and fast. I clocked her 6 times in Freeport, GBI at 35 mph. I couldn't believe it!!
That's a fast dog! Don't fancy your chances on the re-body though.

Another of our friends are going to live in Guam and taking 2 dogs with them. NZ$10k just for the shipping. Ouch!

I moved out here 15 years ago from Scotland and have never looked back. The lifestyle is fantastic, however the locals will harp on about how much better off Australians are... "grass greener on otherside" syndrome :)

And Cantabrians (people from Canterbury region, which includes Christchurch) are generally good old salt of the earth sorts.

Good luck with the move

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
Rik,

How ever bad it is now in NZ, it will not be anywhere near as bad as the roads and traffic are over here in Sydney. Honestly our cars take a serious bashing over here because the roads are rubbish.

Also there honestly are few drivers roads. Last Friday I rode my m/c and decided to try and find the Old Pacific Hwy (one of the few good and interesting roads). After riding for nearly 2 hours out of the city I gave up and turned around ... :mad:. Soon I will sell my m/c because it's just no fun in the traffic all the time and no corners.
Pete
ps: I used to spend a lot of time in the Waitakere ranges, hooning around as a young man, and yes when you caught up to a slower car it was a pain, but if you go out Helensville way you can stretch your legs (or you used to be able to).

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey,

Anybody here had any experience with changing the steering from left hookers to righties? I have a nic purpose built shop so it'd be a lot cheaper and faster to do this prior to shipping.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey,

Anybody here had any experience with changing the steering from left hookers to righties? I have a nic purpose built shop so it'd be a lot cheaper and faster to do this prior to shipping.
I do not think that you will have to. If the car is over 20 years old, it's a Class B vehicle and provided that it meets the WOF & certification requirements it can remain LHD. I had very few problems when I brought in the Giulietta Spider in 2005 when we returned from the UK. I needed to fit seat belts and get a LVV (limited volume vehicle) cert for it because of this.
Try and find a sympathetic certifier and it will make the job a lot easier. Note that you can only import 1 LHD car per year under this system.

Simon

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, um sorry,

I Just re-read factsheet 12.
The only vehicles that can be registered as LHD and driven on New Zealand roads are those that belong to one of the specific categories of LHD that are permitted by law.
And your vehicles are in class b so wouldnt need to be converted! yay!!

Good luck, can't wait to see your cars down our way soon!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi...

I know someone who's been through the whole process of bringing some Italian finery from the US is recently...

I'm in the Europe until Saturday but I'll get in touch early next week when I get back... Hopefully he can steer you clear of some of the pitfalls (or should that be potholes!!)

I'm going to be in transit for a couple of days... can you PM me your email address and I'll reply directly...

Cheers

Mike

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike,

My pm is [email protected].

Yes, I have communicated with the NZ Motor Dept. and all of my vehicles classify as The "Category B"; Light Vehicles under 3.5 tonnes and over 20 years of age. Also, they have to had met the standards required for their MY in the country of origin which all of these do.

Changing over the steering is definitely out thanks to all the response I got on the different auto forums.

I've sourced shipping and my biggest headache is getting my pet dawg there.

Moving Forward,

Brooks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would expect it to be very easy. If you are keen I have access to a GTV being wrecked. I have got the bits off her that I need but I know that a steering rack and dashboard is available also the brake booster and RHD to LHD linkage rod, predals etc pretty much everything. Don't know what kind of condition the dash is in, probably cracked a little but they can be repaired I also have two powersteering racks from a 75 if you need one. Years ago I imported a Fiat Spider and converted it to right hand drive in my garage over a weekend...piece of cake, I would expect it to be similar.
There should be everything available for a conversion. If you are keen I can contact the guy and see if he can put the gear aside. All secondhand parts should cost no more than $300 to $500 on a bad day.
It would be a very easy conversion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts