Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - and belated Merry Christmas. I hope everyone had a nice day.

I am going to be pulling a '74 Spider axle (for transplant into a GT) and wanted to see if anyone had any tips to pass along on someone doing this for the first time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I took one off a 1990 parts Spider. Assuming they are the same, with it disconnected from the trailing arms, when you have undone the propshaft to differential bolts (x4) you can move the axle sideways enough to free it from the trunion to diff. bolt so you don't need to drop the trunion.
The castellated nut on the trunion to diff. will likely be rusted so the pin that goes through the bolt may be difficult to shift. Soak everything with a lot of plus gas or similar.
Other than that it is quite straightforward. The rear springs aren't under too much tension so you can use a trolley jack under the trailing arm, take the bolt out and lower the arm with the jack to release the spring on each side, after releasing the anti roll bar (if you have one?) and the lower nuts of the shock absorber.

·
Premium Member
5,533 Posts
I prefer to remove the truniun with the diff. If this is a parts car i would cut the straps, unbolt the front arms of the truniun, the shocks, anti sway bar and remove the forward trailing arm bolts. Disconnect the brake hose, E brake and driveshaft. Raise the back of the shell slowly to releave the tension on the springs and pull the diff out as a unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts