Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked online endlessly for a wiring harness adapter to put in a newer stereo receiver in my 91' Alfa Spider. I'm looking to change it because the stock stereo is not working properly. Best Buy is telling me they would have to rewire my car to put in a new receiver and it would be about $250. Are there any known alternatives out there that I cannot seem to find? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought one for my 92 in case I ever bought a new stereo (have not done it). This is the correct adapter: Scosche - 1987 and up Toyota Part #TA02B, Check with seller to make sure this is the part number he is selling You. It is $1.99 plus $5.99 shipping.

You can find it here:

Toyota wire harness Car Stereo radio wiring install - eBay (item 400184500431 end time Feb-28-11 07:58:03 PST)

Also, I have the stereo with the upgraded CD changer, but I think the plug is the same for 91 & 92

Good Luck,

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
If you're located in the US or Canada, you might just call the geniuses at the Crutchfield tech support line (1-888-955-6000), and see what they know. Crutchfield had a listing for my Alfa 164 when I was doing a stereo transplant, so they're worth a try. See Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras

$250 for a little wiring is ridiculous!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,931 Posts
That one in the eBay link isn't correct, I think (at least, not for the radio in my '91 Spider). I bought one a while back from the UK: it was listed as an Alfa 164 / 155 harness.

Part is PC2-03-4, try searching on eBay UK for someone who ships to the US. Here's one with a pic:

ALFA ROMEO 155, 164 Wiring Loom Harness PC2-03-4 on eBay (end time 28-Feb-11 15:19:25 GMT)

It goes from the factory harness to ISO connectors. Alternatively you can chop off the ISO connector and crimp the plugs to any stereo.

Incidentally, if you're replacing your original stereo I could use one for parts. If you want to sell it let me know what you want for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
The lead does fit my 92 Spider harness (and it works), I would pull my stereo and look at the plugs and match them up. I am sure one of us has it right.

I bought one for my 92 in case I ever bought a new stereo (have not done it). This is the correct adapter: Scosche - 1987 and up Toyota Part #TA02B, Check with seller to make sure this is the part number he is selling You. It is $1.99 plus $5.99 shipping.

You can find it here:

Toyota wire harness Car Stereo radio wiring install - eBay (item 400184500431 end time Feb-28-11 07:58:03 PST)

Also, I have the stereo with the upgraded CD changer, but I think the plug is the same for 91 & 92
Good Luck,

Kevin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,931 Posts
Well, we might be both right. I know there were two radio types installed in the S4: I thought the plugs were the same but I guess I'm wrong.

The plug I posted is absolutely correct for the Clarion radio. I think the other type was a Fujitsu maybe?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, we might be both right. I know there were two radio types installed in the S4: I thought the plugs were the same but I guess I'm wrong.

The plug I posted is absolutely correct for the Clarion radio. I think the other type was a Fujitsu maybe?
I agree with Tom. My radio is marked Clarion, but the repair shop said it was made by Fujitsu. ???

Kevin

·
Registered
44 Posts
I shall now, once again mount the soapbox, and rail on about retail stores that install stereos. Do NOT let 'em anywhere near your car if they're going to use quick-splice connectors. They can start fires (ask me how I know) - at best they barely do their job, at worst....

These are used for quick-n-dirty installs of new sound systems, or burglar alarms, and have no place on vehicles we care about.

For $249, it should be done right, but won't be, methinks.

Rant over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts