Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Head came back from the machine shop, block is clean, new gasket, ready to go. I've read some guys use a gasket sealer? Rub a light coat of oil on the surfaces? Lightly etch with sandpaper?

OK. Going with just super clean mating surfaces. No oil, grease, gasket remnants, or dirt. Some brake cleaner and Scotchbrite, followed by some lint-free microfiber. Seems to have done the job.

Now the head is stuck about 2/3 of the way down the studs. Any advice? Should I just keep jiggling? Tap with a rubber mallet? Pull and reset?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is where it's hanging. No obvious physical reason. The head isn't warped, confirmed by the machine shop. No problems prior to removal so I seriously doubt the block is either. Could it be a bent stud? Seems it would take some serious force to accomplish that.
A Peugeot guy told be to use a mallet and a 2x4.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
The rod that the exhaust rockers run on has little quarter moon cutouts to clear the studs. If it's not in the right spot, you can't get the head down on the studs.

You need to rotate the rod around until you have clearance.

Took me two days to figure it out when it happened to me. Heads came off fine, but wouldn't go back on.

Gasket is fine. It'll sit down with the head on it.

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide
Australia

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A ha. And it's even in the engine manual. Just 30 pages prior and in a completely different section! I guess I would have known if I'd done the head repair myself... or if I'd read the entire flippin' manual.

Thanks for the lead!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts