Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Spider and GTV6 that can be turned into an IT car; anyone here done this? If there is any Production guys here, I would like to here from you too.

Tom

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Tom, unfortunately, there aren't many Alfas left in SCCA. Probably more in IT than anywhere else. I can't think of a single situation where an Alfa is classed to where a serious effort would lead to a Runoffs podium. The 2L cars are classed in E-Production as full-prep, and F-Production with significant restrictions as limited-prep. The last serious effort with a 2L EP car was Mike Cudahy's Alfetta. As currently classed, he could get to good FP times, but not run near the front in EP. I have considered petitioning SCCA to add 300 pounds to the current EP spec and move the car to FP. If they did, I could run my GTV in F-Production. It would still take a complete rebuild/start over to be competitive. But I would probably attempt it!

If you are just looking to go have some fun, IT is probably your best bet, in either the Spider or the GTV-6. If you are looking to win at a National level, you might want to set aside your love of Alfas!

Erik

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew SCCA lost there handle on Production and GT cars when they started mixing. It is just for fun realy, and if I had something old I would vintage race.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Tom, then get something old and join us in vintage! For that matter, I think a lot of vintage groups have a place for a square tail spider. So you might be able to build your current car for vintage. Either way, if you aren't a member of the YahooGroups "Alfa Race" group, you can get a lot of information there. Russ Neely runs an ITB Spider out of Oklahoma and is a frequent contributor.

Erik

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found the SVRA site and they let any square tail run as if it was pre 73 and they let the gtv6 run too as long as the engine is not all out! I love the old race cars and vintage racing. Years ago the SVRA came to the local track a couple of times with some great cars, two GTA's and two SZ's one round and one Kamm. It was a pretty good showing the first year with Porsche 917,908 and RS60 and a good chunk of other stuff; the second year, rain drownd out and they never came back.
OK my brain is thinking.

·
Registered
712 Posts
SCCA has it's problems for sure, but there are in my opinion, places to run an Alfa competively and have fun.

ITB, full prep Fprod1600, GTL w/1300 or 1750SIR, and of course GT3 although it will not have runoffs race in 08.

Unfortuneately all except ITB require a very, very highly modified car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I have been looking at the NASA rules and wondered if anyone ran there with an Alfa. I have a '79 Alfetta, and I was thinking of starting in HPDE (or Time Trials) and moving up in steps (both for car preparation and driver experience :rolleyes:). I know there are Datsun 510's prepped to the max running in the road racing series. Comments from anyone in the Midwest would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts