Alfa Romeo Forums banner

261 - 269 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
A shout for the UK Lancia fraternity. Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday the UK Classic Car Show was held at the NEC in Birmingham. Over 1000 cars and 40,000 + visitors. Lancia were one (if not the) best represented marque. Four of the five UK lancia clubs were there (LMC, CLS, Beta Boyz and Montecarlo Consortium) with I think 28 cars in total.

The LMC had a new Delta on the stand (from FIAT) - the first time it has been seen in the UK - which was a big coup, along with a one off integrale (made for a member of the Agnelli family), Don Williamsons' gorgeous 8th Series Lambda Limouisine, Appia Coupe, Fulvia 2C, Kappa Coupe and restored Delta 1300. Various members manned the stand over the weekend ( I was there all Saturday). Being a Fulvia man myself my favourite was this original 1300 Zagato Competitzione (chassis 001909). The drilled shell was something to behold - even the keys are drilled !

More photos can be found here:

2008 Nec ClassicCar Show - a set on Flickr

None of these photos are mine, I forgot my camara so thanks to the respective snappers (Brian Hilton and Tony Harrison) for putting them out to the public.
Neil, thanks for posting this.

The UK Lancia fraternity certainly did the marque proud: great selection and display of cars, period garb (and hair!), and even booth girls. Well done!

And thanks for the key weight reduction tip. I'm going to try that this weekend!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Neil, thanks for the photos. I visited the show for a couple of hours on Friday, after having made appropriate adjustments to the timing of my twice-yearly UK 'family duties' visit. As well as the cars on the Lancia stand, I was interested to see examples of every car my Dad owned when I was growing up: Austin Ruby, Standard 8, Ford Prefect, Morris Oxford, and Fiat 500.

Huge event ... and a different view of 'old car addiction' for someone who now lives in California!

Peter

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hmmmm...

I loved seeing those great photos! Thank you for posting.

Besides all the gorgeous Lancias, especially that beautiful Fulvia Sport Zagato, it sounds like most other British marques were well-represented.

I would have really enjoyed seeing a late-model Standard 'Vanguard'. Not only did my Dad own one of those, but that is where I was conceived!:eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Stratos is a Hawk replica - very well done with I think an Alfa V6 in the back. The mid-engined Beta is a one-off special, again very well done (the owner / builder and also owns a twin engined Alfasud that he drag races !). Whilst there were many cars to look at, along with the Competitzione my favourites were the pair of TZ's and the FIAT racing transporter.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The Stratos is a Hawk replica - very well done with I think an Alfa V6 in the back. ...
Thanks, I was wondering about that. The rear flares are odd, and some of the mold seams looked strange. But then I thought 'the LMC wouldn't put a replica on the NEC stand, would they'? And I've seen shots of that mid-engine Beta Coupe before; it's always struck me as the answer to a question that no one asked...

Again, though, thanks for sharing the photos.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering about that. The rear flares are odd, and some of the mold seams looked strange. But then I thought 'the LMC wouldn't put a replica on the NEC stand, would they'? And I've seen shots of that mid-engine Beta Coupe before; it's always struck me as the answer to a question that no one asked...

Again, though, thanks for sharing the photos.
The Hawk replica Stratos is one of the few kit cars I would consider building. The kits is very true to the original and uses many Lancia Beta parts like the original did. You can even use the Ferrari V6 for power if you like, though I think a 3.0L Alfa V6 would be the best choice of powerplant.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Nice article about both cars (Sud and Beta) in latest AutoItalia magazine. Maybe not everyones cup of tea but still nice looking, well built cars ( I always wanted an original version of each). I wish I had the time for such projects on a whim.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The Hawk replica Stratos is one of the few kit cars I would consider building. The kits is very true to the original and uses many Lancia Beta parts like the original did. You can even use the Ferrari V6 for power if you like, though I think a 3.0L Alfa V6 would be the best choice of powerplant.
Not much Beta on the real Stratos; probably more X1/9 bits (door handles, hatch releases, steering wheel, &c.).

261 - 269 of 269 Posts