Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can't believe it — the car still exists! It was originally painted in silver — a better choice I think!
Only one was ever made as far as I know! IMHO a wonderful car except of the too short wheelbase. Front and rear design is beautiful.
Bernd Holthusen was a German industrial designer from Hamburg. The car was built in 1967 only as a styling exercise, a production was never intended. Obviousely the rear lights changed over the years!
Thanks for the details. I went trolling on the web and couldn't find out any information about it.

I like it in red, and in motion:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I can't believe it — the car still exists! It was originally painted in silver — a better choice I think!
Only one was ever made as far as I know! IMHO a wonderful car except of the too short wheelbase. Front and rear design is beautiful.
Bernd Holthusen was a German industrial designer from Hamburg. The car was built in 1967 only as a styling exercise, a production was never intended. Obviousely the rear lights changed over the years!
Thanks for those shots; IMHO it does look a lot better in silver. The story that the owner told us was that the car was designed a Holthusen's graduate thesis. In any case, as Shaun said, the owner does appreciate what a rare car he has.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I might as well come clean too - I bought a 1978 Beta berlina with 90K miles back in August. It's actually in pretty decent original shape, though needs some work on ignition/fuel and a new timing belt, as well as other little bits & pieces.

Thanks to Shaun for the pic, I don't have any of my own nice pics of the car yet.

In contrast to the other one posted on this thread, I've found it to be rather slow and soft. But I'm hoping that'll improve once I get it in shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I might as well come clean too - I bought a 1978 Beta berlina with 90K miles back in August. It's actually in pretty decent original shape, though needs some work on ignition/fuel and a new timing belt, as well as other little bits & pieces.

Thanks to Shaun for the pic, I don't have any of my own nice pics of the car yet.

In contrast to the other one posted on this thread, I've found it to be rather slow and soft. But I'm hoping that'll improve once I get it in shape.
Hi Chris,

I've never owned a Beta series Lancia, but on the last rally Ed Levin shared his memories with me of terrorizing upstate NY, I mean, commuting in a responsible but time efficient manner, in a Beta Coupe.

And you never see Beta Berlinas on the road anymore. Quite unique car today.

So I hope you'll keep us posted as you get to know the car and get it into shape.

See you on the road!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thanks for those shots; IMHO it does look a lot better in silver. The story that the owner told us was that the car was designed a Holthusen's graduate thesis. In any case, as Shaun said, the owner does appreciate what a rare car he has.

i think i saw another one on auction up in monterey... it was at night so i couldnt make out the color exactly. dark green, black maybe? it did have an stock britsh dash board inside.

i'll see if i can dig up the pics on my PC.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I've never owned a Beta series Lancia, but on the last rally Ed Levin shared his memories with me of terrorizing upstate NY, I mean, commuting in a responsible but time efficient manner, in a Beta Coupe...
That's OK, Shaun; the statute of limitations has run out by now...

In any case, the Coupe is quicker and tauter than the berlina, which has a 7.5-inch longer wheelbase and is carrying an extra 225 pounds of steel and glass. But the berlina wasn't made for carving through canyon roads--it's a sensible family car.

Enjoy your new purchase, Chris, but keep one thing in mind. Your post says that it needs some work, including a new timing belt. Do not mess around with this. If it needs a new timing belt, replace the timing belt now. That Lampredi twin-cam is tough and generally very reliable, but do not roll the dice with timing belt changes.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi Chris,

I've never owned a Beta series Lancia, but on the last rally Ed Levin shared his memories with me of terrorizing upstate NY, I mean, commuting in a responsible but time efficient manner, in a Beta Coupe.

And you never see Beta Berlinas on the road anymore. Quite unique car today.

So I hope you'll keep us posted as you get to know the car and get it into shape.

See you on the road!
here I come next year, i will do full complete long block.

·
Registered
830 Posts
That's OK, Shaun; the statute of limitations has run out by now...

In any case, the Coupe is quicker and tauter than the berlina, which has a 7.5-inch longer wheelbase and is carrying an extra 225 pounds of steel and glass. But the berlina wasn't made for carving through canyon roads--it's a sensible family car.

Enjoy your new purchase, Chris, but keep one thing in mind. Your post says that it needs some work, including a new timing belt. Do not mess around with this. If it needs a new timing belt, replace the timing belt now. That Lampredi twin-cam is tough and generally very reliable, but do not roll the dice with timing belt changes.
Hey Ed here you are next year

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
No, that was Ed this year.

I couldn't tell from the video whether the road had been closed off, or if they were just relying on the engine noise to alert the villagers that a car was coming through.
The opening title says "(a strada chiusa)" (closed road), No question, though, that's not exactly a stock engine he's running.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ed and all,

Thanks for your concern! I'd been convinced by people who are more experienced mechanics than I that the belt looked good when I wanted to replace it before the Berlina Tour in September. So I drove the car, and luckily nothing happened. However, on lancisti.org they convinced me that it will break, and considering what I know about alfa v6 timing belts I decided to do it. But man, with a car with smog stuff, a/c and power steering it's a pain, I spent an afternoon just doing enough disassembly so I can pull the belt next weekend!

Once I've done that belt, I need to redo the shift bushings with the John Montgomery kit, replace the front shocks, and set up the ignition system properly - the car was running pretty hot on uphill sections of the tour. And technically it needs new tires, the current ones are from 1995.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
IIRC, I was one of those on the lancisti forum telling you not to take a chance with a belt of unknown age/mileage; glad to hear you're taking care of it. Before you pull the old belt, don't forget to mark the cogs so that you retain the proper timing.

Regarding the ignition system, I'd recommend that you consider replacing the points with a Pertronix module--it's a Hall sensor unit that fits inside the existing distributor; it'll really help the drivability, and it's not particularly expensive. And 13 year-old tires are an issue, too.

But it's great that you're getting it on the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Happy Halloween

IIRC, I was one of those on the lancisti forum telling you not to take a chance with a belt of unknown age/mileage; glad to hear you're taking care of it. Before you pull the old belt, don't forget to mark the cogs so that you retain the proper timing.

Regarding the ignition system, I'd recommend that you consider replacing the points with a Pertronix module--it's a Hall sensor unit that fits inside the existing distributor; it'll really help the drivability, and it's not particularly expensive. And 13 year-old tires are an issue, too.

But it's great that you're getting it on the road. Good luck.
Happy Halloween to all Lanciastas.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 269 Posts