Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 200 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
SoCal TT500

Last Sunday and Monday, BBers Adan Figueroa, Ed Levin and I took our Fulvias on the SoCal TT500, a low buck, high fun rally for old sports and GT cars held annually down in Southern California.

This year, there were 24 entrants, of which 6 were Italian (besides our Lancias, there were two Alfas and a Maserati Bora).

The route included some of the Southland's best and most scenic sports car roads.

More of my snaps from the event are up at: Fulvia cam

Adan and Ed, thanks for coming out with your great Lancias!

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Last Sunday and Monday, BBers Adan Figueroa, Ed Levin and I took our Fulvias on the SoCal TT500, a low buck, high fun rally for old sports and GT cars held annually down in Southern California.

This year, there were 24 entrants, of which 6 were Italian (besides our Lancias, there were two Alfas and a Maserati Bora).

The route included some of the Southland's best and most scenic sports car roads.

Thanks to you shaund it was a great drive for lancia's all 3 level's 1.2,1.3,1.6 very rare group together to see, and we got to drive each other cars, so different from one to the other, sorry could not finish the last 50 miles developed over heathing do to a weak headgasket, but next year I'm comming with a HF just to keep up with all of you, thanks again for the beautifull pictures. adan

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Shaun,

Wait--you drive your Fulvia down (and back) from the Bay Area to do a 550-mile run, you take about 843 great pictures, and you're thanking us?? Seriously, I can't thank you enough for going to such an extent to join us down here, and for chronicling it so incredibly throroughly. It was a real blast.

·
Registered
177 Posts
...but next year I'm coming with a HF just to keep up with all of you adan
Adan, it was a real hoot running with you and Ed. And thanks for bringing that gloriously original 1.2 out to play. That car is truly a gem.

Let's see: Ed already has a 1.6 liter HF with positively decadent amounts of power, and now you're threatening to bring an HF of your own.

Time for me to start looking seriously for that fuel injection setup for my 1.3, if I'm to see either of you anyplace other than at the rest stops.

Regards -- Shaun

·
Registered
830 Posts
Adan, it was a real hoot running with you and Ed. And thanks for bringing that gloriously original 1.2 out to play. That car is truly a gem.

Let's see: Ed already has a 1.6 liter HF with positively decadent amounts of power, and now you're threatening to bring an HF of your own.

Time for me to start looking seriously for that fuel injection setup for my 1.3, if I'm to see either of you anyplace other than at the rest stops.

Regards -- Shaun
do not worry then I will wait for you, also the 1.2 engine I plan to keep I will complete rebuilt to stock. now your car is very fast, Jaan must had put some hot peppers in it, hope more Lancia joint the battle next year,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ed, thanks.

But I can't think of any place I'd have rather been this last weekend than on the TT, or anything that I'd rather be doing than driving the Fulvia over great roads with good people.

And the fact that I could do the drive down to LA and back with equanimity just demonstrates what a great event car the Fulvia is. It'll cruise all day at 75, the seats are the best of any car I've owned, and it gets gas mileage that shames a lot of modern cars.

My only problem at the moment is, after having driving your HF, I'm having to fight this craving for more power.

Regards

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ed, thanks.

But I can't think of any place I'd have rather been this last weekend than on the TT, or anything that I'd rather be doing than driving the Fulvia over great roads with good people.

And the fact that I could do the drive down to LA and back with equanimity just demonstrates what a great event car the Fulvia is. It'll cruise all day at 75, the seats are the best of any car I've owned, and it gets gas mileage that shames a lot of modern cars.

My only problem at the moment is, after having driving your HF, I'm having to fight this craving for more power.

Regards
I see this could be us next year

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I see this could be us next year
Adan, you want to fly, eh?

Well, there was that section on highway 247 on this year's rally, towards the end of the first day, which had all those "whoop de dos".

I'm pretty sure you could get airborne on some of those; I almost did trying to keep up with the Bora.

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

Shaun
Ok You have inspired me! Fulvia cam is great!
I've talked my Dad into letting me use his garage in Berkeley next year.
So my plan is to bring my Fulvia to Berkeley in the spring, (before it gets too hot for the drive from N.M.), hit as many events as possible then bring her home again after Best of France/Italy.
Could you PM me with any dates/events you are attending so I can plan my schedule to attend?
See you guys next year.
Stephan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Speaking of Lancia's, there was a blue Scorpion racing at Nelson ledges Raceway this
past weekend. He was paddocked away from us but I believe he was running in FP
( F- Production), but don't know how he did since we were busy etc... He sure had
alot of younger people wondering what type of car it was. Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shaun
Ok You have inspired me! Fulvia cam is great!
I've talked my Dad into letting me use his garage in Berkeley next year.
So my plan is to bring my Fulvia to Berkeley in the spring, (before it gets too hot for the drive from N.M.), hit as many events as possible then bring her home again after Best of France/Italy.
Could you PM me with any dates/events you are attending so I can plan my schedule to attend?
See you guys next year.
Stephan
Hi Stephan, it would be very cool to see you and your Fulvia out here in California next year!

Apologies for the belated reply to your request for event/date info. And, rather than a PM, I thought I'd recap the California low-buck high-fun events that I know about here, in case there are other Lancisti or Etceterini pilots who may also be interested in getting out and driving on one or more of these.

In more or less calendar order:

The "Anti Football" Rally on January 1. This is Martin Swig's alternative to sitting at home nursing a hangover on New Year's Day. Half day event for cars 25 years or older, starting in Sausalito (across the Golden Gate from San Francisco), runs on great (twisty, scenic) roads. Always a lot of interesting and sometimes quite exotic cars.

The weather can be quite variable. Can be foggy, clear but cool (-ish; 50s-60s); one year there was a deluge. Roadster pilots should plan accordingly.

Has a very modest entry fee. Info and entry form at: Amici americani: Event Schedule

The Shamrock Rally, usually on the weekend closest to St Patrick's Day. Steve Jackson's answer to green beer. A one day event for pre-1976 starting in Dublin, California (SF Bay area, East bay); covers some great canyon roads in the East Bay hills. Usually incorporates a shallow water crossing and a run up Mount Hamilton.

Late Winter/early Spring, so variable weather. We had sunshine, rain showers and snow flurries on the 2008 run.

Has a modest entry fee which covers swag and an end-of-rally late (sometimes very late) lunch.

No website, but info about this event usually posted to the California Melee Yahoo list. Go to Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities and search for "californiamelee".

The Snowball Rally, in late April. Jeff Guzaitis' successor event to Norm Walters' Alpine 500 rally. Two (+) day event for pre-1974 sports, GT, and sports sedan cars leaving from Sacramento and covering substantial mileage in the Sierra Mountains. Overnights at Lake Tahoe.

Springtime in the Sierra means usually good weather (cool at night), but many participants carry chains, since late season snow storms aren't unknown.

2008 entry fee was $320 for driver & co-driver, and covered swag, tahoe lodging, and the thank-you-for-not-crashing awards dinner at the end of the rally. Event is limited to ~50 vehicles and was heavily oversubscribed in 2008, so get your entry in as soon as the apps come out.

Info at website: THE SNOWBALL RALLY

The Mother Lode Rally. in late June. A great new event started by Josh Prentiss in 2007. Two day event covering 500+ miles on "Gold Country" Sierra mountain roads. Last year's route featured something like 9 high pass ascents of 8000' or more, so this is probably not the ideal event for your stock Appia or Fiat 500 (though a 998cc Mini had great fun and success on it last year).

Summer Sierra weather usually warm to hot (80s-90s) and the hills are steep, so getting the cooling system into good order before the event is recommended.

No website that I know of, but info and applications usually posted to the California Melee Yahoo list.

The California Melee, the weekend after Labor Day in September. The original low buck high fun rally in Northern California, organized by Jeff Guzaitis and Harley Welch for pre-76 sports and touring cars. 800+ miles of Northern California roads, starting in San Francisco on Saturday Morning, over nighting in Red Bluff (North Central California valley) and Fort Bragg (North coast), and ending back in San Francisco on Monday night. The route usually includes sections of unpaved road as well as stretches of pretty rough paved; bringing some ground clearance or common sense is a very good idea.

Weather on day one (the central valley part) is invariably hot (90-100+ degrees F). Day two brings us to the Pacific coast and so can feature generally cooler temps and, frequently, fog.

Entry fee covers motels on nights one and two, swag, and the victory dinner on Monday night. Info at the website: California Melee and on the California Melee Yahoo list.

The SoCal TT500 in October (Columbus Day weekend, at least it was this year). Tad Yenawine's romp through the Southern California mountains and deserts, a two day event starting in L.A.,overnighting out in the Mojave in Yucca Valley and ending up Monday night with a dinner at Masa's on Sunset Boulevard.

Weather this year was of the cool-but-clear variety, ranging from the 60s in the day (colder at elevation) and dropping into the high forties at night. There's one picture on the Fulviacam tt500 album clearly showing an MGB driver trying to restore circulation and feeling to his hands during a stop.

Entry fee this year for the driver was $130 and $65 for the navigator/co-pilot, which covered the swag, the overnight motel, and the dinner on Monday night.

Info on this event at the website: SoCalTT Home, Ted Hedman's excellent blog/photo album site at Shutterfly, and on the SoCal TT500 Yahoo list.

Note that these are just the events that I know about and have run at least once myself and which have more or less fixed dates, so it's by no means an all inclusive list.

For example, I haven't included the very nice one day runs that Andrew Watry does, since the event days aren't usually fixed til 60-90 days before the run. These are under the aegis of the Berlina Registry (but Andrew allows 'interesting' non-Berlinas as well) and are run in the Spring and Fall in the Wine country or the Bay area hills. Watch the ARA section of this BB for posts from Andrew about these events.

And then there are events that I want to attend, but haven't been able to, at least yet, like the Mille Autunno. See:Amici americani: Event Schedule

And I haven't attempted any coverage of non-driving events, like the Alameda All Italian day, or BOFI, the Monterey Historics (and pre-Historics) or the CSRG events at Sears Point.

Look forward to seeing you on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Shaun
Thanks, and what a great Idea to recap.
I will probably shoot for the Snowball as my first Ca. event.
Im planning an engine rebuild this winter so that should give me time to get ready.
Thanks again and hope to see you out there
Stephan

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Shaun,

Great event summary; it's way too early to think abot next year, but I want to find a way to do at least one of the NoCal events.

And that photo is brilliant; that's my favorite road sign ever...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shaun,

Great event summary; it's way too early to think abot next year, but I want to find a way to do at least one of the NoCal events.

And that photo is brilliant; that's my favorite road sign ever...
Ed, true enough. It is early. I haven't even decided what I'm going to be for Halloween this year yet.

But I do hope you'll be able to juggle work and family obligations so that I get a chance to run with you and that lovely HF again.

The road sign is on Highway 36, near Red Bluff. This section of 36 is part of the California Melee route.

Your car was made for this road...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hmmm, let's see. You and Jeff B and Peter, and now Stephan; that's 4. If Adan & I can make it, we could actually have 6 Fulvia Coupes on a single event. An epic possibility. Like I said, that CA 36 sign is my favorite road sign ever...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmmm, let's see. You and Jeff B and Peter, and now Stephan; that's 4. If Adan & I can make it, we could actually have 6 Fulvia Coupes on a single event. An epic possibility. Like I said, that CA 36 sign is my favorite road sign ever...
Ed,

Epic indeed. And a demonstration of 'high fidelity' in the spirit of the original usage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't believe it — the car still exists! It was originally painted in silver — a better choice I think!
Only one was ever made as far as I know! IMHO a wonderful car except of the too short wheelbase. Front and rear design is beautiful.
Bernd Holthusen was a German industrial designer from Hamburg. The car was built in 1967 only as a styling exercise, a production was never intended. Obviousely the rear lights changed over the years!

Attachments

181 - 200 of 269 Posts