Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me too. I've realized my chances of finding an available replacement dash for my Berlina 2000 (or any Berlina for that matter) is slim at best. I'm also adverse to having an upholstery shop redo the existing dash in leather (or vinyl) if it does not look original. They can look good, but the non-originality is not as appealing to me. If the price differential is too great, it's still an option on the table, but not preferred.

I've contacted Just Dashes for a ballpark estimate to have the dash redone and am awaiting their response. From personal experience with another car, their work is fantastic. Looks like original. Fits like original. And they use better materials than original (long lifespan). The price is the potential show-stopper though. It ain't cheap.

So I'm thinking; is there enough interest out there to potentially negotiate a group buy at a reduced price? I expect that between Berlina 1750's, 2000's and Giulia 105 sedans, we may get enough takers to make an impact, and plead our case with Just Dashes for a discounted rate.

My typical experience with group buys is that someone acts as the hub to negotiate prices, collect funds and deal with the seller of the product. That scenario won't work for a number of reasons, although I don't mind getting the ball rolling with J.D. to negotiate prices, but I can't collect funds and manage the overall process. So, with that in mind, although I am unsure of how to work the process, I'd first just like to find out if there are enough folks out there interested in this alternative. Anyone?

Shannon

PS: I'll post the price of the estimate I receive when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I would be in for my GTV 1750 but I am wondering how much we could really save? Sending them a bunch of dashboards in differing states of disrepair doesn't sound like it really benefits them in any way except perhaps their having a backlog. Just dashes has their margins to be concerned with and with all the interest in classic car restoration these days they are likely pretty busy. So if we got something like 10% that would be a lot I would think and that is still pretty far above what I would be willing to spend for my goals for a nice driver level car. But it never hurts to ask I guess!

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I would think the best approach would be to ask Just Dashes first if they are willing to give a discount. In one sense I can see that if they are setting up for a run of the same item they could cut a deal. On the other hand they don't have any competition and seem to have a perpetual back log - not motivating for discounts...

As Gene said, can't hurt to ask...

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
At one time Centerline had a complete 2000 dash courtesy of an Alfa Digest/BB/Berlina Register member (not me, but I was an/the intermediary) and was going to make dash caps from it. One thing led to another, the shop to do the work had issues or something, I forget. Joel, who was shepherding the project through Centerline, left to do other things, and no one else had enough interest to commit the time and money.

This would have been a cap, not a full dash. If someone wanted to look it into it again? I did my time...
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
I'll send a note to the Berlina Register email list and ask anyone to respond here. It's a captive audience.

You'll need to come up with a good dash to take a mold from.

Andrew

·
Registered
258 Posts
The dash in Bernie the Berlia is pretty good - just one, maybe two cracks if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
I sent a note to my list, asked folks to reply to me, which response I'll relay, or reply here directly.
Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 73 dash has two major cracks and currently I cover it with a custom cut carpet (suede) from dashmats. It looks OK but I'd prefer a non-carpet, i.e. plastic molded piece to make it less obvious. For $75 I'm in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1971 1750 Berlina dash cap

Thanks for the list note Andrew. My 71' 1750 Berlina dash is almost perfect, no cracks but with Kansas heat I would like a cap on my shelf.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
I'll commit to one, since they probably will never happen again! They'll be so rare they'll be more valuable than the actual car!

How's that for a sales pitch? :D

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
That's an interesting idea...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts