Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long and short of it is this: the welded nut is missing on the inside of the channel for the lower bolt that afixes the front sway bar to the chasis - 74 Spider. In sum, I have no more threads in a blind hole and nothing for purchase on a rethread. There is no way that I can see to get into the boxed channel so that I can put on a nut, short of cutting a hole in the lower portion of the front of the wheel well.

Any ideas on how to molly my way back to some threads.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
If the welded nut is stripped then a threaded insert (aka HeliCoil) will repair it to full strength.

If the welded nut is really missing then I don't think a HeliCoil will work. In that case you'd need to either get inside the box section to replace the nut -or- perhaps a 'nut insert' or 'rivet nut' would work. You can find examples of those at Mcmaster-Carr. Some of those items do require a special installation tool. Others can be installed with hand tools.

·
Registered
532 Posts
On my '74 Spider a PO experienced the same issue. Windows, just large enough to fit a nut and the end of a box wrench through, were cut through the outside wall of the vertical supports (not pretty - looks like a chisel was used). I just had this stuff apart a month or so ago, as I had to get the sump guard off to access the lower sump and oil pump, and the modification seems to have worked well enough. Thinking about it now, I'm going to say the inside welded nuts were stripped, so a Heli-Coil might have been a more appropriate solution. The nuts could have been missing, but I didn't really spend any time investigating and just wanted to get the sump guard back in place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. The first thing I thought of was helicoil as I have used them successfully in the past. However, on closer inspection I discovered that the inside nut was gone, hence there is nothing for the helicoil to grab onto. I will look into the nut insert or rivet nut option. Once I find something that works I will post and let you know.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,502 Posts
Thanks for the responses. The first thing I thought of was helicoil as I have used them successfully in the past. However, on closer inspection I discovered that the inside nut was gone, hence there is nothing for the helicoil to grab onto. I will look into the nut insert or rivet nut option. Once I find something that works I will post and let you know.
If the orginal welded nut is missing, you will need to replace it. Nutserts, nut inserts or rivet nuts will pull out.

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Yes, the original arrangment is a captive nut welded to the backside of the sheetmetal. It's common for them to rust or tear out. I wouldn't think a helicoil would work, because there is not solid backing material to drill into to get the insert to bite. I think it needs sheetmetal repair, with a new captive nut welded in. I had Norman Racing do this for me on a TI some years ago.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts