Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the replacement dash and/or console from IAP? The console is not padded. I wonder how it looks. I have a Euro console in my spider but it has holes for the emegency flasher switch and brake warning light. The picture in the IAP catalog shows a console without these holes. The replacement dash looks rather like a dash cap that covers the front, as well as the top of the dash. I have seen some crappy looking dash caps. Is this a significant improvement?

Thanks,
Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Milano Verde

·
Registered
612 Posts
first I would try to make what I need from fiberglass...
just an idea....

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Hi Ed,

Once I get my Duetto back on the road I'll be parting out a '79 spider. The dash has three sizable cracks around the top vents but might make a good candidate for the Akitaman $30 dash fix. That way it wouldn't interrupt your summer driving having to pull your dash first. Also has a decent console. Let me know if you're interested and I can give more details.

Bill Sinclair

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bill:
Thanks for the offer. I have decided to blow some of the revenue from selling the GTV to make my spider look more presentable. I will buy new stuff if it is good.
Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
just recieved a IAP dash cap, CRAP! I knew it was to good to be true but couldn't resist taking the chance. looks great on the top but no attempt was made to blen the face of the dash cap (the part you look at when you drive the thing:) I guess I will send it back and try the dash panel. If I remember, they say you can put the new dash on over the old (sounds fishy)

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I don't think it's a problem with IAP - the best you can hope for with a dash cap is that it is better than looking at cracks or the piece of carpet you fit to cover the dash. I lot of guys use http://www.justdashes.com/Index.htm and like the work they do. Not cheap but with today's materials and techniques I think you'll have a dash that will last a lot long than an original dash...

- Rich D.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just Dashes did the dash in my GTV (that I just sold). It is very nice work. I was hoping to find someting presentable but less than show car quality.

How do Centerline's restored dashes compare?

Ed.

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that lead. Re-Originals sells top quality stuff. I am a bit surprised that they have lower prices than some of the competition.
Ed

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Thanks for that lead. Re-Originals sells top quality stuff. I am a bit surprised that they have lower prices than some of the competition.
Ed
The difference with dashes between Re-Originals and Centerline is that they are having them "recovered" domestically, while we [Centerline] are still sending them back to Italy to have them remanufactured.

What is done in the remanufacturing process is that everything except for the original metal core is ground away, and the dashes are re-molded with new foam and new vinyl. This is basically the same process used to make the dashes when they were new - and the result is basically a brand new dash.

The domestic companies that recover the dashes use a vacuum process to shrink sheet vinyl over the dashes. Depending on the shape of the dash, this can produce good results, too, but it is a very different process.

Joe

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a reproduction console from IAP and it looks fine. I had to open up the hole for the shifter boot. My car is Euro spec, without all the idiot lights. It would have been a lot more work to cut the holes for those.
I then bought a dash cap, also from IAP. I spent the best part of a day trimming it and opening up the holes for the vents, but I am very happy with the result. You have to look closely to see that it is a cap.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am looking at replacing a broken console on my 1975 spider. It just sort of rests there and is broken away from its bottom bolt attachments. I find within the Centerline catalog "large ashtray" consoles and "small ashtray" consoles, neither with dimensions. I don't know which I have as it seems to me to be a relative perspective issue. I am concerned about Ed's listing above regardin an IAP console that require cutting away plastic for the American version "idiot lights" which I have--if they are still functional (still to be determined). All I want is as simple of a console replacement as possible, with no major re-engineering issues.

Any comments are appreciated.
Ohiospider1975

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ohiospider1875,In my opinion only*; the BEST route to go is to find one from a car
(requires much searching and pleading) that at 'worst' you'll have to
have
an upholsterer re-skin. That is what I have done on some interior bits
by a local shop. It seems that the 'sftermarket' stuff NEVER seems to
fit properly or has the wrong 'graining'. Take your time and this part
you WILL find!...............Ed K.
*for whatever its worth

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just installed an IAP dash cap on my 88' Quad. Looks great and the price is right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts