Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for what people use when they have done a coolant flush?

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,001 Posts
I think any modern antifreeze would be fine. Almost all cars now have a combination of materials in their cooling systems. As long as the antifreeze you choose is compatible with the materials in the Alfa's system (aluminum, cast iron, brass) and you change it every few years it'll be fine. Be sure to thoroughly flush all the old as I've read that some types of antifreeze don't play well with each other.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a recommendation of a brand?

Quantity wise - how much do I need?

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,001 Posts
I prefer brands readily available. On my last flush & fill I used Walmart's brand (inexpensive and readily available while travelling). I've recently noticed that Walmart has changed their brand to a "5 year" version. And I'm not sure if that is compatible with what I have in the car now...

Owner's manual lists cooling system capacity as 2.5 US gallons. So for a 50/50 mix you'd need 1.25 gallons AF & 1.25 gallons distilled water.

·
Registered
613 Posts
And don't forget to drain the block.
The design guy at Afla placed it behind the #4 cylinder header.

The story that I heard about this goes something like:

The guy was having a bad day. It was Friday and his wife just called to tell him that her mother was coming to stay with them for a while. Being upset and feeling rushed to just get the drain plug in the drawing he forgot to notice that he was looking at the out put side of the block and not the input side. He had intended to put the drain plug just to the left of the distributor. So there would be easy access to the plug. After completing the addition he sent it off and went home. Monday morning he realized his mistake and planed to make the correction. But he was just told that his drawing table was being moved to an other location in the building. At his new office he realized that he no longer had a nice big window to look out at the surrounding country side just four walls. A little Pis#$%$# off he said to himself "sc#[email protected] it, good enough".

And that is how for 50 some odd years the beautiful, double cam, Aluminum Alfa block was destined to be "almost flushed" hopefully every three years

Now you know the rest of the story.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
887 Posts
Nice story! I am considering putting a flip valve in place of the plug before I install this new engine. As far as antifreeze goes I dobt live where it freezes so I just use distilled water, water wetter and some XO Rust for corrosion purposes.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
I use the old, green, IAT type antifreeze in the Alfas. My understanding is that the Organic Acid Technology (OAT), long life coolants may react with lead based solder. Here's an old article from Hemmings: Tech 101 – the colors of antifreeze | Hemmings Daily.
That is my concern with the older Alfas and why I'm using the conventional green stuff. The only brass/lead in the S4 should be in the heater core, but I think it still has some. Not sure how big an actual problem it is but I figure better safe than sorry.

From my understanding the only real downside to green IAT coolant is that you should change it every 2 years.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is my concern with the older Alfas and why I'm using the conventional green stuff. The only brass/lead in the S4 should be in the heater core, but I think it still has some. Not sure how big an actual problem it is but I figure better safe than sorry.

From my understanding the only real downside to green IAT coolant is that you should change it every 2 years.
Which antifreeze can we use that does not require changing every 2 years?

Thanks

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
I don't personally know of one. Nor do I know how big an issue using long-life OAT coolants is in older cars actually is. It's so easy to change the coolant on the S4, though, that it's not much of a hassle for me to do it more frequently.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The consensus is the "green" antifreeze from what I can tell.

Is it better to get pre-mix or do the 50/50 with distilled water?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Antifreeze has been purchased!

They had two brands.

Zerex by Valvoline and Blue Mountain by Peak.

Is Blue Mountain the "lower" version of Peak? Never heard of them before.

Price was almost the same so I went with Zerex by Valvoline.

Thanks everyone for their assistance.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is this something that you would recommend that I use?

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Is this something that you would recommend that I use?
View attachment 1612383
Why do you feel you need to use this? Are you overheating? If not, just throw in the coolant and drive it. ;) This stuff could potentially loosen up stuff and clog more of the system, especially the radiator. Drain the old stuff, if clean, refill and enjoy driving. I don't think this is necessary!

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why do you feel you need to use this? Are you overheating? If not, just throw in the coolant and drive it. ;) This stuff could potentially loosen up stuff and clog more of the system, especially the radiator. Drain the old stuff, if clean, refill and enjoy driving. I don't think this is necessary!
Parts guy recommended it, but I did not buy it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts