Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reciently purchased a white '77 with maroon interior in decent condition. This is my first post. Pictures tomorrow... as it is on blocks tonight.

This bulletin board is an incredible resource, and I appreciate it. Thanks for all who have dedicated their time to help those of us who have dreamed of owning an ALFA, an Italian, an exotic.

I'm a tomato farmer. Top down season is tomato season, so... soon enough, I won't be "fixing" and/or writing for 6 months or so. I'll be in the field with the green Deeres.

I've read Pat Braden's Bible, and have performed the following: engine mount replacement, transmission mount replacement, oil and fuel filter replacement, balanced the tires - and such. Basic stuff. It is on the blocks so I can change the transission fluid and make sure Spirax is in there. I would like it to shift smoother...

It runs fine, I guess. Currently has a hole in the exhaust system (front section) and therefor smells Italian. And I believe it really likes being out on the town and passing BMWs so they can smell the Italian too.

Anyone have a switch that bypasses the ignition mounted in a precarious place so thieves have a harder time stealing the car..? If so, please provide a bit of detail. I'm serious about keeping this fun car.

Don

·
Administrator
17,997 Posts
Welcome to the BB. Sounds like a nice car - we'll wait for the photos (but not too long).

Not sure where to place an anti theft switch. I suppose maybe one shouldn't post that info on an internet forum...! One possibility is to tap into the fuel pump power. No fuel = no driving. Your car may already have an intertia fuel pump shut off switch. The intent was to cut power in the event of an accident. Look for either a black plastic box about the size of a a cigarette pack on the firewall -or- a can shaped cylinder. It'll have two wires and a reset button on top.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Eric. Inertia fuel pump shut off switch. Good idea. (Although that thing looks like it should not be touched.)

I didn't think about the fuel pump, which may allow the switch to be located in the lockable trunk. Hmm... However, would that do any harm if say my brother or wife wanted to drive it and wasn't aware of the switch and kept turning it over? (Aside from a dead battery.) Which gives me the idea of the battery itself...

My understanding is that old-timers came of the distributor. I'm in search of how/where to wire the switch into the electrical sysytem, as it is esay to conjure an actual spot to mount the switch. I understand if any of you view discussing this as a risk to your property. We live out on these winding country roads, are generally trusting people, and buy face plate type CD players.

Thieves are generally lazy, and popping the hood or unlocking the trunk are deterants. Cheap insurance. Especially when you are unable to lock the passanger side door. I figure a switch is cheaper than new locks...

Don

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solved

Got it taken care of. And it seems like no one really wants to talk about it, which is understandable. Pics on seperate thread.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Hmm. Anti~theft stuff:

1) toggle switch in fuel pump power, ground or inertia switch wiring
2) toggle switch in the coil wiring
3) toggle switch in the ignition to starter solinoid wire
4) toggle switch in the ignition switch wiring proper
5) big toggle switch in the battery wiring + or -
6) floor mounted high beam/low beam headlight switch that's actually used as a stomp it on/stomp it off switch (may cause issues if someone decides they want to change beams and aren't aware that that ain't the thing to do it with, but conversely can make a decent 'emergency shutdown' switch. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other....)

So many places, so many ways.
Just gotta pick something that's most desireable to you AFA the switch and it's location, beyond that there's prolly 15~20 things you could tap into that would prevent the car from starting.

Just a question of it you want it to crank at all, crank with no spark, or crank with no fuel. :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts