Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find the answers to these questions, but no luck.

In reassembling my Giulia Spider, (engine, trans and diff professionally prepared) where do I need to use anti-seize, thread locker (which color when applicable) and electrical component lube?

I hope some over-achieving, OCD-afflicted soul/s has/have already undertaken these tasks and have produced a detailed-tome from which we all can benefit.

Also, is there a document that covers engine, trans and diff lubrication (brand, type, weight) for 101 63-65 Spiders w/1600 engines?

Again, please pardon my inability to locate existing documentation.

Ray

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Ray it's a multi part question and a multi-part answer.... part general knowledge, part good practice & part intuition

Firstly remember that Alfa did all of this and more without using either thread locker or anti-seize, so the wobbly web spring washers that Alfa used are excellent & should be re-used wherever possible. Locktite should be used sparingly and then only in safety critical areas

Thread locker - I use the Locktite red - Use this on SPARINGLY anything you don't want to rattle loose while driving
Suspension components
Steering assemblies like tie/track rod end nuts - some new replacements come with nylocks
Engine main bearing nuts

For the rest I rely on the original wavy lock washers & tighten things to the torque in the manuals

Anti-seize compound (Copper slip)
Exhaust manifold nuts - Alfa used brass nuts here as an anti-seize measure
Exhaust flange nuts
The mounting bolts for the rear axle fabric straps - the ones that go up into the frame rails....especially true on 105's !!

This list isn't definitive, other will definitely add to it, but remember that things you apply thread locker to will at some point need to be undone again - Murphy's Thread Locker Rule states: "The need to take the assembly apart again is in direct relation to the amount of thread locker used"

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
electrical component lube?
I'm unclear about this term and what the intent of the application may be: The application would be different for preserving electrical contacts (dry contacts that open and close or slide), and/or insulating and sealing components in harsher environments. In the first case, a small amount of something simple like WD-40 would do. In the second case, dielectric grease (which also repels moisture and therefore is often used for spark plug wire contacts on modern cars) would be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts