Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just purchased a NOAH car cover for my '71 spider and realized it will not fit because of the long radio antenna sticking up next to the trunk. I tried to see of the antenna was removeable but it does not look like it is. Are there any removeable antennas out there that I can install? Or even a small antenna that I can fit the car cover over?
Thank you for any feedback!

Jonathan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or a collapsible antenna! I am not sure whats out there.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Usually, I just poke a small hole in the cover and let the ant. stick out. Cloth overs used to come with an iron on piece to go around the ant. hole.
A side benefit is it helps to keep the cover from blowing off...;^)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
you mean your ariel stays up all the time? - never seen that before on a spider. Why not just replace it with a normal telescopic ariel, or better still an electric one??

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
We like "abnormal" antennas ..;^)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
my brothers 60 vette antenna stays up a foot or a foot and a half (as originally from the factory)! Must be an american thing;)
so how do you go through a carwash?....hood down, antenna up:D

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Not normal...
my '65 Vette has a power ant. that goes down flush. In the '60s, '70s most inexpensive cars had fixed (up) antennas.
No automatic car washes for us. Our girlfriends hand wash our cars, usually in a bikini !!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
progress then with the '65! The 60 vette stays up, but I would not exactly call it an inexpensive car- (and yes we made a small slit in the cover especially for this)

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just bought a new Noah cover from California Covers and they offered a free antenna sleeve and grommet kit. I didn't bother, since I have a fully retractable one.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I would say thar it is not a big job to get a retractable one from your local Pep boys or similar and install it. Easy to do in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Not normal...
my '65 Vette has a power ant. that goes down flush. In the '60s, '70s most inexpensive cars had fixed (up) antennas.
No automatic car washes for us. Our girlfriends hand wash our cars, usually in a bikini !!
Pics or it didn't happen.....;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. there was a little grommet that came with the cover that i used to seal a hole I made in the cover for the antenna

·
Registered
70 Posts
I want to REMOVE the unsightly fixed antenna and plug the hole in the rear fender. Any suggestions on the best cosmetic solution, short of welding in new metal and refinishing the spot?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
something like this hirschmann chrome blanking plate is what we used to use in the old days and looks smarter than a rubber bung of some sort, and if an RSR Porsche can use it why not an alfa:):
Hirschmann Antenna Delete Cap Cover Plug 911 S R RS RSR | eBay

He also does the smaller ones for the windshield wiper holes. which might do as well??
It depends where your ariel was mounted - best to have a flat as possible surface for this type of blank - on the S4 for instance the ariel is on the straight/flat bit of the rear wing/fender, but there is not much width to use this type (the original ariel base is rectangular, to fit here)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts