Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing the Ansa exhaust currently on my 84 GTV-6 with the stock exhaust. The rest of the drivetrain is stock. Does anyone know if this will result in reduced power or torque? If so, about how much?

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
If it is just the dual tip resonator at the tail, I really doubt you'll find any difference at all except the car will be quieter. I really like the sound of the Ansa when the rpm's open up - it feels faster but in truth I believe it is just from the sound. :)

GV

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yep just quiter. My car was switched back a few years ago before I bought it and I'm probably going to go back to Ansa. If you want to swap let me know.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ansa advice

I am the original owner of an "82 GTV6, and have put 160,000 miles on the car. During that time I have had original as well as Ansa exhaust systems. I never thought the Ansa changed performance noticeably, so you shouldn't notice a difference with original. PS.....the best sound was with the Ansa center section intact, and the rear section removed, replaced with a piece of auto store flex pipe while waiting for new rear. Also consider the Ansa center section straight pipes from IAP.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep just quiter. My car was switched back a few years ago before I bought it and I'm probably going to go back to Ansa. If you want to swap let me know.
Thanks all. The last GTV-6 I had was equipped with the stock exhaust. As much as I like the sound of the Ansa, I'd rather hear a little more engine and a little less exhaust sound. This car feels a bit quicker than my former GTV-6 but it's engine is also in a little better condition. I wasn't sure how much of the performance difference was due to that versus the exhaust difference.

Tango1, my Ansa doesn't look like it has a lot of life left in it so it's not worth trading.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a closer inspection of the exhaust system beyond the rear muffler. It looks like I also have the Ansa center section which seems to be in pretty good shape. Now I'm not sure whether just replacing the rear Ansa muffler with the stock version will quiet the car down much. Thoughts?

·
Registered
546 Posts
My '85 GTV6 came to me two years ago with an ANSA exhaust, but when that got too rusted out to repair my favorite shop replaced it with a stock system from the cat back. As far as I can tell there was no difference in performance, and I actually prefer the sound of the stock system -- it's quieter, but the tone quality is terrific (I'm a semi-professional woodwind player so I sorta know good sound when I hear it). Like TCL said, it allows you to hear more engine, which is fine music indeed!

Dave Spiegelthal
Centreville, People's Republic of Northern Virginia

'87 Alfa Milano
'85 Alfa GTV6
'77 Fiat X1/9
'77 Lancia Beta HPE (recent acquisition/work in progress)
'71 Fiat 850 Spider

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My '85 GTV6 came to me two years ago with an ANSA exhaust, but when that got too rusted out to repair my favorite shop replaced it with a stock system from the cat back. As far as I can tell there was no difference in performance, and I actually prefer the sound of the stock system -- it's quieter, but the tone quality is terrific (I'm a semi-professional woodwind player so I sorta know good sound when I hear it). Like TCL said, it allows you to hear more engine, which is fine music indeed!

Dave Spiegelthal
Centreville, People's Republic of Northern Virginia

'87 Alfa Milano
'85 Alfa GTV6
'77 Fiat X1/9
'77 Lancia Beta HPE (recent acquisition/work in progress)
'71 Fiat 850 Spider

Dave, I see that you are in Centreville. I'm just up the road in Chantilly. Thanks for the input. I'm strongly leaning towards putting the stock rear muffler back. The Ansa center section still looks to be in good condition so I may leave that piece intact to see what that combination sounds like.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Based on the recommendation of my mechanic and inputs from this and another board, I kept the Ansa center pipes and had a stock rear muffler put on. The volume is somewhere in between the full stock and full Ansa systems. I like the tone better than either of those set ups. Not quite as aggressive as the full Ansa system but still very Italian. No perceptible change in power.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have ANSA center only pipe and ANSA tailpipe. The sound is amazing and I believe you will gain 1-2 HP, it has much better free flow than the stock cat and back.

TCL,
I have a good used GTV6 stock tailpipe I can sell, it has less than 7k.

Giorgio

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ANSA center only pipe and ANSA tailpipe. The sound is amazing and I believe you will gain 1-2 HP, it has much better free flow than the stock cat and back.

TCL,
I have a good used GTV6 stock tailpipe I can sell, it has less than 7k.

Giorgio

Don't need it since that's what I have now - the Ansa center pipes and the stock tailpipe/muffler.

The sound of the full Ansa system was exciting at full throttle but sometimes annoying to me on long drives. To my ear, the hybrid combination I have now is better from an overall perspective and I feel like the car has just as much punch as with the full Ansa set up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's the same setup I run TCL (stock manifolds, ANSA centre and OEM rear) but I had to replace my rear muffler with one made by BORSAI I think, still sounds great, much better than those japanese buzz boxes. Didn't notice any drop in power or torque, just a nice note at idle and a really nice classic 'italian' sound above 4000.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts