Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so international auto has the AR1237 shown here to fit on a 1978 Alfa.
Here is the link there:

Alfa Romeo and Fiat ANSA Performance Mufflers

And other sites like ebay and a few others have listed the AR1237 as made for a 86-93 Alfa Spider and the AR1007 as made for 78-85.

Here are the links to these sites:

http://www.italiancarparts.com/exhaust/AlfaRomeo.html

1978-1985 Alfa Romeo Spider ANSA Exhaust System Muffler | eBay

My question is -

Is International Auto right in saying that the AR1237 will fit on my 1978 Alfa Spider or is this some sort of fluke and only the AR1007 will work. I would like the sportier exhaust, but I am hoping it is bent the same way, will line up to flanges, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I found a pic which might help although I am still hesitant. it shows the exhaust with ANSA part numbers. AR1245 is the center section and it shows AR1007 and AR1217 (AR1237 is the sport version of AR1217) both joining up to it. It clearly shows that AR1007 is made for my year and AR1217/AR1237 is made for 86-94. However, the pipes look the same? I don't know. Anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd be surprised if the AR1237 doesn't fit your car. Not sure where the schematic came from, but I agree...except for the different shaped tailpipe, the two look the same. And if they both fit with the center section, then the only likely difference would be the hanger locations. I don't think those changed because other exhaust tail sections you could buy indicate they fit 1971-94 models. You can always give IAP a quick call to double check. If you're looking for a sporty tail section, may I suggest a simple "stinger" model, either the stainless version at IAP or the non-stainless version such as this one from Centerline:

Centerline Products: OE591 Tailpipe without Muffler - Spider 1971-94 - Square Tail

This is what I installed and really like it and it is not loud at all. When I bought my car it had an Ansa rear exhaust on it and the Ansa was completely rusted out, a not so uncommon result I hear from others on this BB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply and link. I just bought the recommended piece! :D It looks sweet and I can't wait to hear it. I was wondering if there is a sporty/high flow center section out there or is the centerline center section pretty much it?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exhaust on 1986 Spider ?

I would like to place a new exhaust on my spider. Any advice on a free flow exhaust that fits well and sounds good, and maybe better fuel mileage?
Thanks for any advice.
Stephen

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
MagnaFlow makes a good cat-back system in stainless.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
There is one on ebay that I noticed....
Also there is a thread here about them and where to buy. I think one of our members is connected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The center section from IAP and Centerline both look like the stock unit. The only "performance" option I've seen is the Magnaflow unit mentioned earlier. I too want to replace from the cat back with something other than stock units. The Magnaflow system sure looks nice...love to know about the fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will look into the fit. With the age of the car ....Does anyone have experience with the removal of the cat -converter? does this simplfy the new exhaust system ? change mileage? performance?
Stephen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts