Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Euro 1972 GTV has no instrument dimmer switch - not that I can find. It does have what appears to be an emergency flasher button on the dash at the lower right of the steering column. It has a red wire hanging down that is not connected. I can't find on the Papajam wiring diagram where it should connect. Also, I do not see an open connector. Any ideas? --TIA

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The dimmer rheostat should be on the lower part of the dash, to the left of the steering column right next to the heated rear window switch.
The diagrams do not show a hazard switch for this model. Perhaps a market specific or previous owner add-on? Can you post a pic of it? Also, how many wires are on the turn signal flasher. And are there two flashers? (sorry for all the questions)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,
There are four connectors on the flasher and five wires attached. Red, black, white and two wires (black and white) are piggybacked as shown in the photo. I didn't see a second flasher. What I thought was an emergency flasher button may be the dash light rheostat, but it is a push button, not a twist. Push it in, it clicks and stays in. Push it again and it clicks and pops back out. I've included a closeup of the button.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I think that's the heated rear window relay. The wire colors match those on the wiring diagram.
The push button switch would appear to be for the heated rear window but it's location is different than that shown in the user manual. What, if anything, is mounted in the dash on the left side of the column.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left side of the dash

I should have prefaced this whole discussion by indicating that the console wiring was disconnected by the folks who removed and rebuilt the engine. I am redoing the interior and took responsibility for re-installing the console, thinking that a wiring diagram would provide the necessary information. Ha!

The push button on the left side seems to have the heated rear window symbol. The symbol on the right right button seems to be a moveable indicator. The button under the dash is the windscreen washer. Note that there is no foot operated button on the driver left firewall (third photo).

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to dig up this old post, but I have the same switch on my 1600 GT Junior.
Does anyone actually know what the push-button to the right of the steering wheel does, or how it's supposed to work?

Thx a bunch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts