Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well not a restoration, but with some upgrades, not that it needed them (brakes). Well presented.
What did they say 'Without question the 105 series is THE talk of the town'.

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
Writing "another top price sale" is a bit like saying "all the children in Lake Wobegon are above average".

Once you've observed a lot of sales at a certain price, perhaps you need to accept that it's just the new normal and not a "top price".

·
Registered
230 Posts
For US buyers, the $100,000 AU$ equals $ USD 70,000. That's in line with what high end dealers are asking for no stories, no excuses cars. Similar condition 101 Veloce coupes are seeing $125+ ask at high end dealers. I said ask not got.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Writing "another top price sale" is a bit like saying "all the children in Lake Wobegon are above average".
Once you've observed a lot of sales at a certain price, perhaps you need to accept that it's just the new normal and not a "top price".
Renaissance about 14th century to the 17th century, promoted the rediscovery of classical philosophy, literature and art.
These cars are having a renaissance of their own possibly as art objects!
We need to keep a record of the top 10 prices of each model and which country it was first delivered and now resides.
For a 1600 GTj I was surprised, but then again it's Australia and I think we have a limited supply of cars for sale in top condition (maybe any condition) as I mentioned before
Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
What's the reason behind such high prices down under?
Can you not import?
In Europe such car would struggle to obtain half of what's mentioned here.
No offense towards the car but the 1600 GT junior is considered one of the lesser attractive models.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What's the reason behind such high prices down under?
Can you not import?
In Europe such car would struggle to obtain half of what's mentioned here.
No offense towards the car but the 1600 GT junior is considered one of the lesser attractive models.
I amNot sure which planet you’re on but step fronts are very rare

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
I amNot sure which planet you’re on but step fronts are very rare
This thread is about a smooth nosed 1600GTj, not a step front.

I would imagine that a relatively original smooth nosed 1600 is a pretty rare car now as most would have been cut up to support the restorations of others and/or turned in to 2 litre race cars and bounced off many walls. If I bought this car, I would remove the unnecessary hoon parts and return it to a very tidy original 1600GTj. The modifications reduced the price IMO, especially because it still has a slow sized engine.
Pete

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think in general, the Aussie classic car market is routinely below other parts of the world regarding prices.
Just my personal observation with various marques and racing cars I’m interested in.

The Alfa above was sold through the Classic Throttle Shop. They always ask top end prices. They have been in business for a number of years, so must be “doing it right.” I have no affiliation with them, but do know a regular customer of theirs.

If you search Carsales at the moment you will see there are a number of 105 coupes to choose from. Some look particularly nice for the money.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This thread is about a smooth nosed 1600GTj, not a step front.
I would imagine that a relatively original smooth nosed 1600 is a pretty rare car now as most would have been cut up to support the restorations of others and/or turned in to 2 litre race cars and bounced off many walls. If I bought this car, I would remove the unnecessary hoon parts and return it to a very tidy original 1600GTj. The modifications reduced the price IMO, especially because it still has a slow sized engine.
Pete
Pete is correct, as mentioned these cars have culturally not been favored as desirable and thus have been cut up, ..
Just tally up how many used spare body parts you purchased over the years, each one of those came from a car that does not exist any more!
So now you want a 105, guess what? there are fewer GT1600 (and 1300 GTj smooth nose cars:I have one of the few listed RHD cars in 105 register) making them extremely rare! May be fewer that the 1750's and 2L and others. There are 15 1600GTJ RHD listed in the 105 register and 4 are in Australia.

If you are paying $120k you want something that works, reliable, looks good, stylish, cool, and wait for it, no one else has one, at least in that colour as there are only a couple left in Australia! (I did point this out previously with reference to my 1300GTj in a public forum, obviously some one was listening and did their home work before buying the 1600GTj!)
Steve

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Interesting point Steve, I also think colour may have been one of the factors for a higher price for this car. It went through a phase of being undesirable while resale red was hitting its straps but now this colour is looked upon favourably.

Same in the Montreal world, metallic brown was poo-pooed for a while but now has a growing list of admirers!

For me the first model of any series should be be close to either the most valuable or sought after as I have a great respect for cars that are as the designer envisaged them. Sometimes the first revision can be slightly better as it is usually just a refinement to that model.
Too many variations down the years generally dilutes that vision as the manufacturer tries to stretch the sales out of each model.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I understand what you prefer, but the reality is that is not how the world works.
take the example of the first Australian penny minted 1911 value $26 in VF condition as opposed to the 1930 penny VF condition can be worth A$45,000 or more.
Steve

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you search Carsales at the moment you will see there are a number of 105 coupes to choose from. Some look particularly nice for the money.
Looks like the ocha colour of the 1600GTj is popular today, but in the past it was not. The cultural/personal preferences trap of changing the colour of the car, well as the current stepnose owner of the light blue (was originally ocha) car on carsales may face? it's all a gamble when you start changing colours and then on sell only after 500km for what ever reason.
[Ocha coloured cars tend to be painted with a light blue undercoat, so still can sand down/ scrape most of the the light blue off and repaint it ocha as it was originally, if you want to!]
Steve

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I understand what you prefer, but the reality is that is not how the world works.
take the example of the first Australian penny minted 1911 value $26 in VF condition as opposed to the 1930 penny VF condition can be worth A$45,000 or more.
Steve
Interesting comparison... that only takes into account rarity and to me is where the collector market is warped, such as the early number plates in Australia. Why?!!

My value is based on the first edition principle as well as original design factor. Kombi, E-type, etc. So I believe there are others that agree with me... :wink2:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Interesting comparison... that only takes into account rarity and to me is where the collector market is warped, such as the early number plates in Australia. Why?!!

My value is based on the first edition principle as well as original design factor. Kombi, E-type, etc. So I believe there are others that agree with me... :wink2:
I understand what you are saying and of course I respect your value method and those who agree with you.
But you have to give collectors a bit more credit for the items they buy and why they buy them. Some collectors don't adhere to social and cultural trends of today or those of the past, some of which you mentioned, like first edition 'stamp collecting principles' applied to items like cars, etc..
Do you think the 1600GTj will sell for $250k in 3 years? No way you would say!
What would the collector think? If it does they have doubled the value of their investment, but that may be a side benefit, as it may not be the reason the collector purchased the car in the first place.
Steve

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yes, for sure. I can’t assume on the motivations of any collectors. I’m a design professional hence where I put value to my collecting (which is broader than cars). So many approaches to collecting. I think most on this board do not approach from an ‘investment’ slant so rising values have been a silver lining, but like others, it’s a bit saddening as I doubt I’ll ever afford a rhd duetto to add to my herd now. I miss cheap 105’s!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts