Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
To begin, lovely example! Beautiful. Sure, a few nits to pick. Before I pick my nit, I see that there are no side markers. I also see those funky front lamps on the front bumper. Is this all original? 69 only? RHD markets only? Never saw this in the US. Ok, my big nit is that the lines in the rear seat upholstery between the seat bottom and the seat back, are WAY OFF.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All First series 1750's in our market have the indicators on the front bumper. we call this a series one and a half as it has the said indicators, early style rear indicators and no plate light in a cutout in the bumper. also flying buttress seats. but the air cleaner is the later cylindrical type not the crossover style.

Reactions: andylarry

·
Registered
686 Posts
Being a 1969 model, it's a Series1.5, so the barrel air filter is correct ( along with the overflow bottle ahead of it & high mounted coil) , but the rear lights are probably incorrect as they are more Series1 1968. Although with a lot of things, I'm sure there was some variation from car to car. I've not seen that seat color combination before, but my previous comment stands, as dealer people actually collecting these new cars from the docks reported often various unknown variables contained on cars not even ordered.
Vince.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well, the seats on 1750's and 1600 GTV are not centered and the tail shaft tunnel can result in what you see to those not familiar with the GT/GTVs cars(last owner had it for 5 years), so when the owner is new to the GT/GTV it is difficult to explain what you want when the car is not at the trimmers.

I'm not sure if the 69 cars had the early metal frame ones and the plastic frame ones. I was thinking the RHD 1969 cars had the full plastic lens and the frame cast as one unit.
Steve

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The factory would not have been that sloppy with miss aligned trim. The parts catalogue does not list this colour combination so an aftermarket addition after say seats wore out. You can probably say this was the case as the new trimmer just replicated the previous mistake made by the third party trimmer, so make sense now. The seats will need to be repaired/corrected by the next owner so as least they line up. The non standard colour combination, personal choice if you keep it, only a loss of a few points at the concourse events.
Steve

·
Registered
686 Posts
Agree Steve, I suspect those seats are a personal choice, not factory. Makes a more interesting look to the usual plain black.
As for the tail lights, certainly the trend of evidence seems to indicate that the 'large' 1750 version were on '67/'68 produced cars, and the 'small, white plastic base' type from '69 on. However, again there does seem to be some variations to that.
With the 'large' 1750 tail lights, there are the 2 brands Carello & Altissimo, one has a chrome-plastic base & the other a chrome-metal base. I think the Carello being metal (from memory).
Vince.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I do think the Australian dealers at the time were treading a fine line with the factory and probably had to work hard to secure any cars prior 1970. (Alfa Romeo Australia took over the importation of cars around ~1970).
The most expensive version of the cars with the Bertone Deluxe leather option did come into Australia. May be it was buy a quite a few of the expensive ones to get the bulk of the standard ones and then some mixed up ones arrived as well to make up the numbers I don't know? Or some body shells to bypass import quotas.
Steve

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Steve,
From talking to the people actually doing the ordering & taking delivery of the subsequently shipped cars (in Victoria),
the factory was very happy to have Australia on board, as our RHD quantity bolstered the production enough to make it viable. That said though, the opinion is that perhaps a certain amount of what was supplied to us down-under was
made up of perhaps a bit of oversupply/unpopular/ unsold stock just put together for the Australian (long way away?) RHD quantities. Apparently Australian orders were largely made up off the end of UK/Japan etc RHD production runs. And the reality was that the dealers managed to sell all the cars they could get anyway, regardless of whether it was a car/color/model combination that was never ordered, or in some cases not even appear to be a combination on the books.
Yes, quite a few of the Bertone deluxe trimmed cars are still around too.
One consensus held firmly, is that they did not import any bare 105 body shells and assemble them here.
I'm sure the import 'quota' scheme was later than 105s, maybe mid 80s?
Regards,
Vince

·
Administrator
14,463 Posts
I like the seats, but, and I guess I might be the only person, I hate those S1 front indicators sitting on the bumper. Much prefer the neater S2 indicators and park lights in the shell

Pete

Reactions: andylarry

·
Registered
788 Posts
Very nice car, interested to see whether the extensive provenance and few owners in its entire history will justify the ultra premium price tag.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
car is showing as under offer so will see what happens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts