Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you set the timing at max advance when you need to open the throttle up to get the revs, hold a timing light where you can see the pulley marks and adjust the distributor when you do not have another set of hands around?
I get a slight knocking if I open up the throttle at low RPMs (under 3K)

The hand throttle is not hooked up.

What creative things have you tried? I tried a stick on the gas pedal, (hard to get it right)

Thanks for any advice.
Jim

·
Richard Jemison
7,081 Posts
Timing adjustments

From your question you probably shouldn`t be doing this.........

The timing is best adjusted by subtle movements of the distributor while the engine is off, then rechecking and readjusting the distributor position.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How do you set the timing at max advance when you need to open the throttle up to get the revs, hold a timing light where you can see the pulley marks and adjust the distributor when you do not have another set of hands around?
I would enlist a helper.

I get a slight knocking if I open up the throttle at low RPMs (under 3K)
I take it you are you trying to determine if the knocking is caused by pre-ignition or detonation?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From your question you probably shouldn`t be doing this.........

The timing is best adjusted by subtle movements of the distributor while the engine is off, then rechecking and readjusting the distributor position.
That's the process I've employed in the past. I thought someone may have a better?quicker way of doing this.
Thanks RJ

I would enlist a helper.

I take it you are you trying to determine if the knocking is caused by pre-ignition or detonation?
Yes, I changed a couple things ( bought a head from a BB member, and changed from points to Pertronix) Now, due to other issues, I may change the head back.
Thanks Ijayr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts