Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I have taken the paravan off my 86 Spider due to rust. While waiting for the new panel to arrive I have done two other jobs with the panel out of way. First one was to check both drains. I am happy to report they work splendidly!

Next I took the wiper motor and the wiper linkage out. My wipers were not working properly on interval setting. Although I did suspect this to be an electrical problem rather than a mechanical problem. Lots of “wiper overhaul” information on the forum already.

Many thanks to Eric’s thread which I found very informative:

Essentially I followed the above instructions. I will only show a few things that I found were a bit different, or for whatever reason did differently. Mine it the later version motor compared the one shown in Eric’s thread. Which means the cover plate for the gearing is not held in place with plastic clips but with four, proper little bolts. The Alfa/Bosch design team was in generous form when they decided to upgrade!

Opening up, huge amounts of very thick, almost solid grease

A simple inkt eraser makes for a very good little tool to clean the commutator:

Putting the rotor back into the casing was a bit of a fiddle. First I fitted it into the top plate, so it was properly seated in the bearing and the brushes (they were fine by the way). Next I looped a piece of string around the whole assembly. This allowed me to easily lower the whole assembly into the motor casing without it coming apart. There are magnets in there trying to pull the rotor in directions you don’t want it to go. With everything properly seated, cut the piece of string and pull it out again.

Whereas you can still buy a new motor and linkage, I found it impossible to get individual parts for these. So I made up a new gasket from a simple piece of paper.

According to Eric’s post you need to be careful to reposition the gap on the contacts on the gear wheel before removing the gear wheel. I forgot! I put it back looking at the photographs I had made earlier. In all honesty, I don’t think it matters at all. The motor will just rotate the little shaft and it will always stop in the correct position by itself when power is switched off. At least that is my little theory.

I used lithium grease on all the bearings and bushes. Like Eric I could not find a way to pry the little ball joints on the linkage arms apart. But like Eric, managed to work in some grease by carefully peeling away the rubber boot.

All in all, a very noticeable different on how smooth and easily the linkages works now!

The four contacts on the main connector to the motor were pretty corroded. In all honesty, I suspect the problem with the slow running on interval were mostly due to corrosion. The wipers were running fine on normal and fast setting.

First test run, still with the paravan and wipers removed, but it runs very smoothly, also on interval.

Ready for the next 36 years! Even if your wipers are working fine, if you have to remove the paravan for whatever reason, take the wiper motor and linkage out for an overhaul. It's a pretty straightforward job, no special tools required.

Jeroen

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
Your wiper mechanism does seem to turn nicely now, at least with the arms off: the real test is when the arms are back on wiping the screen
(hopefully it parks correctly too)

Is the interval working correct now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your wiper mechanism does seem to turn nicely now, at least with the arms off: the real test is when the arms are back on wiping the screen
(hopefully it parks correctly too)

Is the interval working correct now?
Thanks. It was working fine before I took it apart, except on interval, just a bit slow. At least now with the wipers off, the motor appears to running at the same speed on interval as the normal speed.

The parking should be ok. Because the wiper arms pins move in the exact same arc as before. Nothing has been changed there.

Jeroen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts