Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I'm doing this right......I read here on the boards that one must use a 19mm wrench on the nut on the hardline going to the slave cylinder, and a 16mm to hold the nut that's on the flex hose. On my car, the chassis bracket where the hardline and flex hose meets has little tabs on the sides that keep the 16mm nut on the hose from turning. Great, I thought, I'll just put a 19mm on the hardline nut and the bracket will keep the 16mm nut in place. Well I've completely loosened the 19mm nut on the hardline, but the two hoses are still locked together. Does the hose thread into the hardline, or are my hardline and hose just stuck together with crud? I don't want to keep pulling on the clutch hose (don't worry, I'm replacing the hose, so it doesn't matter if I destroy this one) if there's something else I'm supposed to do first.

OK one other quickie......on the clutch fork, is there supposed to be a spring that forces it forwards (clutch-in position)? On mine the fork seems to be sprung a little aft actually. Now when the old sorta-functioning slave cylinder was in place, the fork piece seemed to stay with the cylinder's pushrod nicely, though I was able to easily pull it away if I held the pushrod compressed a bit. Perhaps the only thing making the fork piece stick with the pushrod was all the built-up crud? :p Or does that ball end on the pushrod snap into the fork piece a little bit (I didn't notice when I removed the slave, I just recall it was pretty easy to get the pushrod out)?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Does the hose thread into the hardline, or are my hardline and hose just stuck together with crud?
It just butts up against it and gets locked-n-sealed when nut is tightened, just like a softline on the brakes.

There is however another nut that holds the softline to the little bracket doodad on the crossmember, so, you've got the nut that holds the hardline to the softline and the nut that holds the softline to the crossmember.

Lamoid scan from book attached onnaconna I couldn't find a decent pic already on the board.

is there supposed to be a spring that forces it forwards (clutch-in position)? On mine the fork seems to be sprung a little aft actually.
If all the pieces parts are in there, then there's a hairpin looking spring that holds the fork onto the ball pivot and another loop shaped one that holds the ends of the fork to the throwout bearing.

There's no spring to actually push the fork in one direction or the other.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whew, glad to know about the fork spring.....I noticed the spring that holds the fork to the pivot, wasn't sure if it was supposed to push the fork one way or the other. This, however, means I don't quite understand how the system works now....will have to look at it some more. :p

That nut that holds the softline to the bracket is what I can't get at....my bracket has two tabs on either side of the nut. However, the whole thing seems to be loose in the bracket, if I could just separate the two lines from each other. Guess I just need to pull harder on it.

Thanks for the help!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Oooh, a photo simular to what you need to do as borrowed from another thread (thanks for the clear photo nochicken :) )

Yes, what you see is a brake softline to hardline, but the clutch hard to soft is set up the same way.

You remove 'A' to uncouple the hardline from the softline, you remove 'B' to get the softline unlocked from the bracket, and 'C' on yours is what would be held by the little fingers/tabs on the bracket.

If the fingers on the bracket aren't strong enough to prevent the line twisting while you try to get 'B' off, you can grab the fingers/tabs with vice grips so that they clamp down on 'C'.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woohoo, that did it! Had to soak the fitting in some liquid wrench, but now the old hose is out, new hose is in....ready to install the slave and put in some fresh fluid, but not tonight......it's past midnight and I'm tired. :p

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
you are old skool Tifosi, now a days would be PB PWNS ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts