Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Ouch!! I believe that gasket has seen better days!!

Is your 2lt one of the ones that requires permatex ultra grey around the rear of the gasket?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Actually, I was just researching that. Looking in the manual, it talks about how to remove sealant. But I don't see a spec on what sealant to use. There is a gray residue left on the engine block. I was going to get some gasket sealant cleaner to wipe that off. Any recommendation for what sealant to use?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Permatex ultra grey is what is recommended, I used it and it hasn't given me any issues.
There is a protocol for using it though, read the back of the label on the ultra grey for use instructions.

There may be other sealers used but on the BB everyone told me Ultra grey. Its pretty easy to find

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Phew! Thats a heavy head. Need to call in some reinforcements to get it up and over the last 1/2”...or have something more substantial for breakfast.
Go pick up one 454 head. Its equals about 3 of those.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Liner height is good:0.02mm.
I’m concerned after reading another thread from you, and the manual as well that said the cam #1 lobes should be facing away from each other wehn the timing marks line up, and the front pulley marks line up. Mine are facing inwards. It seemed the only way to get the master key accessible. Do i have a problem for reassembly? As long as i dont move the engine and put the cams back in he same orientation., should be ok, right? Please say yes!

·
Administrator
16,555 Posts
The cams have two marks - 180* apart. When the #1 cylinder's lobes are facing away from each other the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. When the lobes are facing toward each other it is at TDC after the exhaust stroke (#4 at TDC on its compression stroke).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Right. So my engine and cams are currently in the latter state: lobes inward, #1 at TDC after exhaust stroke. But will this be an issue for reassembly? As long as i have the cams back in the same orientation?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I once read (here I think) about alfa having a so-called 'hunting tooth system'
So, keep turning the crank a few cycles until the master key is up top, the cam marks align and the lobes point out.

(then make sure pulley mark is aligned and rotor pointing to #1 on dizzy cap)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
In my case, i overlooked the ‘lobes pointing out’ part and removed the head with the lobes inwards. All marks lined up and the master key was up top. So I’ll proceed with re assembly in the same status and see what happens.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Amazing what you find doing a job like this: while cleaning around the engine i saw the lower coolant hose from the thermostat to the water pump was a bit swollen. Looking inside it, it seems to be the valve of an old thermostat! Like a snake having just ate a rat!
That cant be good for circulation!

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Finally getting back to reassembly. Thanks to this BB, I think I’ve saved a lot of time by doing it right (mostly): masterlink on the timing chain in the right direction, sealant only on the the back drain area, manifold snug but not reefed on too tight, head bolts wet torqued in stages, new Mobil 1 oil filter in place, valve clearance confirmed.
Even found the thread from Jim G and spiderseries4 with the link to find the elusive injector adaptor ring from a 2005 Ford Mustang fits the Alfa.
Now to put the rad back in, hook up the plenum and injectors, etc. hoping the goof up with the lobes pointing inward doesn’t cause an issue.

Anyone know if the 22mm drain nut on the engine block is supposed to have a gasket?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
yes the coolant drain plug on side of block will have a gasket ring (copper or aluminium)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Once i got that fuel injector seat seal from DiFatta Bros, i was able to get a wrench on!
And it fired up first crank.
Beautiful day for a ride with the top down as a test drive. Don’t see any leaks.
Thanks to all the Alfisti on this BB for the tips.
She runs at a cool 185F now!

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts