Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning folks, glad to join this forum. I am about to be the proud new owner of a black (on black) '91 Spider, 117,000 mls. However, it has some small concerns, should I still buy, or head for the hills?!-

1/ The electric windows do not work well, they get stuck half-way up/down. In my Miata, this was just a matter of cleaning the contact under the buttons on the center consol. Is this the window spools/regulators in the door, is it an easy or cheap fix? What can it be?
2/ The door key(s) are broken/lost, so you have to open/lock the doors from the driver's side triangle window. Will I have to purchase new locks, or can a good locksmith figure something out? Where can I get new locks if necessary and about how much?
3/ For whatever reason, there is no A/C or power steering due to a broken/missing drive belt. (The previous owner inherited it as is 2 months ago) Can this be a simple all -in-one fix by just getting the right size drive belt? If so, where, what size, what configuration?
4/ I need a good mechanic in the South Bay/San Francisco area, any recommendations?

Other than these little (I hope!) probs, the can is a beaut and runs nice and fast, and for $4K, I think it is a steal, right?

Thanks much
Keith,
aka Need4Speed
[email protected]
Mt View, CA

·
Registered
897 Posts
Keith -

Welcome to the board.

On this site you can find the parts you need to replace (no affiliation):

http://www.alfapartscatalog.com/diagrms/spider/acbeltdrive.html

On the left side of the page, hover your cursor of Spider 91-95 diagrams and you'll be able to locate the parts and part numbers you need.

There's a list of suppliers in this forum - I like DiFatta Brothers, as they always have stock and good prices, but you have to have to the part numbers.

As for the windows - you could try cleaning the switches, but I suspect your problem runs deeper than that. Do a search on the forum for windows, and you'll find a ton of info - that'll start answering your questions better than I can here.

As for the door locks - a locksmith might be able to take care of it. But I don't even bother locking my doors - it's a convertible. You can slash the top or rear window, of pop open the cozy windows and unlock the doors -

If the locksmith can't help - you'll need new locks and keys. But it sounds like you have some window issues, so while you have the door panels off, you can easily replace them.

As for purchasing the car - these are all very minor issues, and can all be addressed very easily. If the price is right and the car is in otherwise good mechanical condition, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Keith -

Didn't see the 4K at the bottom of the page...at that price, snatch it up. I assume you've driven it and looked over everything else -

If the 4 problems you mentioned are the only things worth mentioning with the car (I'll assume it's in "good" condition for it's age/mileage - paint a little dull, top a little faded, interior a little worn, 2nd gear crunch, burns/leaks a little oil) - then 4K is a fantastic deal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the windows work at all, there is probably nothing wrong with the switch or the relay, especailly if they do the same thing each time. My guess is that either the cables have slipped through the fittings on the glass, or the glas is binding in the channels. Apply a bit of WD 40 to the channels and clean them with a toothbrush and then apply some graphite or similar lube, or even more WD 40. If that doesn't work, remove the door panel, run the window down as far as you can, prop the glass up so it won't fall, loosen the two screws (one on each fitting) that clamp the cable to the glass, let the glass down so the top is level with the top of the door (IE, the usual down position), tighten the screws, and voila!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts