Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread earlier about tightening the side mirror by lifting a little rubber flap. That worked great for me, thanks, because the whole thing was loose. However, now I notice that just the glass part is loose as well. Does anyone know how to access whatever is behind the glass to tighten it up? This is a 1985 Veloce. Thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem on my 85 SV, driver side mirror, so I would be interested in this also.
Gabriel

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same deal on my 85. I found 2 causes:

1. Mirror glass clips into plastic cup and ball assembly, some play from wear in the cup and ball, not much can be done here.

2. The plastic cup and ball assembly attaches to a metal frame which itself sits in the rubber/plastic outer frame of the mirror. There was some play here, so I shimmed the 4 tabs with some insulation tape for a more snug fit.

Number 2 got rid of about 80% of the vibrations and it is tolerable now although not perfect.

Here are some pics to help visualize...

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting to see what's inside. How did you get the outside front panel cap off? From the picture it looks like prying up from the bottom with a flat head should do it, is there anything else to it? Thanks. (By the way, my 85 is the same colorway as yours.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
yes, it was a while ago but I think you can remove the rubber o-ring with a pick then just pinch the outer cover on the top and bottom to get it out of the black outer frame.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks now I get it

Thanks for the pictures caliscouser. I was imagining trying to pry the mirror off from the front , but now I see the back comes off. Great help

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, got it fixed up tight last night, thanks for the info. Getting the cover off was pretty easy - pick off the O ring then squeeze the cover from the top and bottom just enough to free it from the grooves. To fix the looseness I ended up using putty around the four points where the motor bracket sits in the outer black frame. There were gaps there causing the shake. I was careful to not get any putty in the grooves that the cover snaps into where the green circle is. Seems good. If it doesn't hold I'll have to take the motor out and try tape like caliscouser. Cheers!

MirrorReduced.JPG

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll be in the shop tomorrow with a printout of this thread in my hand. The mirrors are the loudest rattle on my car.

Thanks Caliscouser and Pwnage for the photos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts