Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m going over the heater box in my ´63 Sprint, but don´t understand how it´s flap door is supposed to work, it doesn´t close properly and don´t stay up either. I haven´t found any retaining mechanism on the back side of the flap door knob to secure the closing function with, just one small nut, and there is a waved metal piece that looks like being there for possibly holding the flap door up, but seems both too short for that as well as being malplaced in a wrong angle (can´t move it either). Can anyone help with this issue?

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys,

From the silence to judge, are you seriously implying that no one on this board ever had a heater box apart? In 50 years of 750-101 wrenching? Increadible!!!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
I have, but remember the hinge opening with a rusty "creak" noise. The Ferrari heater that APPEARS (only) similar, has two semi-circular bars on either side of the door that move in a pair of holes and offer friction to door movement. These also move with a similar rusty "creak" noise.
Lots of members own these cars, you might ask Lionel Valez (wiring looms) as he restores his own.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
God bless you Gordon, I almost thought ALFABB passed away, and thanks for the tips, I´ll try to contact Lionel....

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
I'm sure someone has had one apart more recently than I. These cars are getting the restoration attention they deserve, and as more are saved, more information is available.
I save photos of Giulia / Giulietta spider components that I am unfamiliar with so I can share with other BB members. These cars are going only one way in value, and it is important that restoration follows the original design.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I save photos as I´m going along with my restoration and the ones I gather from others for the same reason as well, as I know this can both help and save a lot of time and frustration for many other members that either start new restorations being inexperienced, or are just overhauling their vehicles.

Dennis

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Sorry Dennis, I know not this appliance. My Sprint and Spider have the other kind. My guess is the hinge is pinched on the pin so there is friction to hold it in place and maybe a bent tab over lock when the door shuts

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
Uncle may be correct and this is what causes the rusty "squeak" or "creak" sound on both Alfa and Ferrari units.

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
NICE crinkle Karen!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Karen,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you took time to post the pics. Now I know for sure the spring tab in the middle should face right south and that it is inserted, not welded in place I suspected for a while, but just rusted in in the position as on my box (it wouldn´t budge when trying to adjust it). I also didn´t dare to remove the rubber elbow to check out, as it has hardened to stone and is very brittle, thus will guaranteed fall apart and I have no idea where to get another one (I think i.e. Alfastop only carries the upper ones, or are the upper and lower identical?), but I recon, I will have to do it sooner or later anyway.
I´m also surprised over that the box comes in crinkle paint, did it originally? Mine was in generic black paint and very badly painted too....but my guess is some of the PO:s was on it as it is partially battered as the rest of the car was....

P.S. After a short phone conversation with Tony at Alfastop, I just found out that there never was any additional set of 3 rubber elbows in connection to the metal funels right under the windscreen that I found when taking the heater system apart, except the set of 3 that is sitting on the heater box housing, it must again have been an "invention" from one of the damned PO:s that confused me again. Increadible, I took it so much for granted that I never even checked with the parts book, sorry for the previos confusion.
Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There´s another mystery I discovered with my 1600 Sprint heating system, I found a double set of rubber elbows where it allegately should only be just one, one set sitting on the heater box and another in connection to the air funnels under the windscreen, althoug a bit smaller in size. The parts book doesn´t show the upper set of rubber elbows, but instead the hose ends seem to be directly connected to the air funnels, so I´m really confused now over which set up is actually correct, ans especially as the elbows at the funnels don´t appear to be some kind of makeshift, instead fit like a glove (see picture).

Dennis

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts