Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
replaced rusted sheet metal under taillight using portion of a series 2 spider twilight bucket [ housing?]. all the silvering was gone inside the taillight assembly and i relined with a high heat chrome mylar tape. that really brightend the lights. also built new burman steering box from best of 3 boxes. car was running warm so i pulled radiator which needs a new core, 2 row. also replacing euro thin blade fan with regular fan. i ditched the original a/c condenser and after a lot of measuring it looks like a 14x15 parallel flow condensor w/tight 90 fittings will just fit using a 12" pusher fan. we shall see when it arrives. i know a 12x14 will fit but i wanted to get the largest condensor i can fit in without moving any sheet metal. lot of loose paint and some surface rust, but it airbrushed off. some more sanding and its ready for por15. thankfully no significant rust anywhere in the front suspension or engine compartment

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
new a/c condenser

received new parallel flow a/c condenser and did a quick test fit. clears and uses just about all the available room but still enough room for the 90 deg hose ends. just under 14" tall and 15" wide plus fittings

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
a/c condensor mounted

condensor is on, used a saddle mount with foam padding on the bottom and 2 straps up top, padded between strap  and body. about 2" from o-ring in fitting to bulkhead. i am going to use tight fit fittings on my new hoses. it fills up the available area well with enough room hoses and fittings. new hoses monday and re-install radiator re-cored with high efficiency 2 row core. i will have to run an electric cooling fan as the motor and all pulleys and belts are from an alfetta and the new 2l paddle fan will not clear the crank pulley or the a/c belt, hence the previous use of the euro thin blade fan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
also was able to upsize the condenser fan from 11" to 12"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dash air ducts

I love your Interior, very good project here, I just noticed that your air ducts on top of your dash look different, did all the air conditioned cars come with those type of ducts? I dont remember seeing them on any Berlina. I'm following this air conditioning bit very carefully coz I'll soon be following suit. Well done.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
thanks. i don't know about the vents, i believe my old 74 w/[dealer installed?] air had them, the dash in this car was NOS found in new zealand and the a/c itself was installed by the previous owner with correct berlina bits

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
radiator

the radiator was pretty nasty looking. amazing what the shroud can hide. the nasty looking original a/c condenser is to the left. recored radiator w/ fan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
a/c hoses

finally had new hoses made and did final install of condenser and new hoses. mounted radiator w/ new cooling fan and adjustable temp sensor. after i pick up new drier tomorrow, will see if this contraption will actually cool. anythings possible

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
a/c works!

charged a/c after pulling a good vacuum and checking for leaks. i used 2 cans of freeze 12, about the recommended amount per the freeze 12 website. it is blowing extremely cold with outside temps of about 70 today. i had to turn the fan to low during my test drive. see if it handles texas heat now

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
doors

tired of looking at rusty doors and body panels. cleaning up NOS rr door and waiting for 2 other used doors. also debating replacing full outer rockers, which i have NOS, or replacing a couple of largish sections w/ curved sheet metal. also replaced turbines with 82 spider campagnola stars with new 185-70-14 tires. looks much better than the old turbines. not quite the correct look i want but will work for a while

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Wow, is that the last new Berlina door ever? Might be...

Do you have a picture of the whole Berlina? I like where the front wheel is sitting. Do you know what springs / shims you are running?

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i was lucky-my right rear door is the worst. the others are salvageable but i should be getting a couple of california doors for the driver's side soon. i believe the springs are original and will take some more pics when the back end is on the ground again-doing some rust repairs around the rear door frame with new metal.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
rust repair begins!

started cutting rusty sheetmetal from lower rear quarterpanel and a large section of the driver side rocker panel, expecting a major can of worms [ or rust ]. to my surprise the inner rocker and inner[?] lower quarter looked pristine. one patch for over the wheel well opening and and slowly forming the sheetmetal for the lower rear. the rocker will be formed by a 48" sheetmetal panel formed over a round form. i have nos rockers for both sides but where my rust is can be handled by a patch panel and will save the nos stuff for the future. would still like to find someone to use them as a pattern for new ones. new wheels and tires on car. will still change out later for something more correct but these will work for now. now have to refill my gas bottle and start welding

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
rust repair

was quite a bit of filler in quarter, had a repair a one time, tempted to grind away the entire panel, but scared of what i will find. more rust pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
finally back to the berlina

after a busy year and a half moving to new house and outfitting big 1200sf garage i can finally start working on the berlina again. also had to hurriedly patch over previously cut out panels so car could be used in film 'mixed emulsions'. i have factory replacement berlin a rocker panels but as just curved sheetmetal was rusted, i didn't want to cut up a nice rocker panel set. i used 20ga sheetmetal that i formed over 4" pvc pipe tp match the curve and put a small flange on the bottom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
started welding rockers after back priming with weld through primer. i am still a crappy welder but hopefully it will get better with practice

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great write-ups and a nice adventure!

21 - 40 of 107 Posts