Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone recognize the oil filter housing pictured below? the paper element is approx 3" high x 2.75" wide, and the hole in the center should be approx .5" in diameter.i'm having a heck of a time finding it, and am wondering if it's enough filter for this engine. the aluminum 90 degree adapter the canister snugs up to reads fispa, torino, italy on the top. i'm not sure why the stock filter housing wasn't retained.

i just acquired a sprint abnormale, 149322970, first sold in holland, 1/26/61, manufactured 4/29/60. it's still red!

i believe this engine to be a 1750 , per the po, jim woods, who owned the car from 1987 until last week. he purchased it from carl schroder of san diego. if anyone has any knowledge of the car, please share.

overall, the car is in good shape, though there's plenty to do . hasn't run in 10 years. it's getting new vredesteins on powdercoated steel 15s, all new brakes, and a new exhaust to get rolling, and then we'll see...

i'll try to get a photo album up on shutterfly, but in the meantime, here are the pics of the oil filter in question. thanks in advance.

jamie

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you saying briggs and stratton may have my filter?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hello Jamie,
Welcome to the AlfaBB.
You call your Sprint an Abnormale - a term generally applied to those that have imitated a true Veloce by adding dual Weber carbs.
I expect there is a 5 speed trans beneath that shift lever and you may have a 1750 engine - post the block serial number and that can be determined - but the SOLEX 35 APAI G carb will be working rather hard to feed that large an engine.
It can be done but the SOLEX would need some serious changes to work.

My guess regarding your oil filter is someone made a quick fix rather than fixing the original filter assembly.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

that sounds like a good way to go. i was going to start calling around for a used canister, with the hope that the fispa head is oe.
i was hoping to avoid a remote spin on located on the inner fender. a little too race car for this old girl.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
engine number

is,... drumroll... AR00551 star 03089 star

what is it?

thanks again

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mille grazie

i have to agree with gtd, the 1750 definitely is going to have some unrealized potential breathing through that solex, but.. one thing at a time. wheel bearings, reseal all wheel cylinders and master, new flex lines. reline shoes, turn drums. and see if the engine runs.:) thanks to all for shaing the knowledge. jamie

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I've got some Fispa cannisters if you want to go that route but I wonder if the short filter was used because of fender well clearance problems with the 1750 engine?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
? they weren't bad, as in scored or irregular, but i didn't think you could do that, ie replace the linings and not true the drums. but i'm more knowledgeable about discs. i know these drums are unobtainium. maybe try driving it with fresh linings and see how they wear/sound? thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it looks like clearance with the steering knuckle is more a concern than the inner fender or frame but that's a diameter issue, not length of the assembly. maybe my steering bumpstops are worn or gone!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
? they weren't bad, as in scored or irregular, but i didn't think you could do that, ie replace the linings and not true the drums. but i'm more knowledgeable about discs. i know these drums are unobtainium. maybe try driving it with fresh linings and see how they wear/sound? thanks
I've got many miles on them and if they aren't scored by rivots leave them alone. There just isn't much metal to take off in the first place and they tend to stay round and once your linings bed in they willl be happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts