Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
I'm having the dreaded start and stall syndrome with my 85 GTV6. I'm suspecting the ECU as when I crudely wiggle the wires above the fuse box... She'll start up and idle and when I snap the fuse box closed... she putters out. I suspected the fuel pump and I need to swap out the fuel filter soon too - but since she'd start up then stall, I doubt the fuel line is the culprit.

I'll look for air leaks too tomorrow too, but I have a feeling I'll need an ECU at some point regardless.

Any ideas on where to find a good replacement? I believe the part number is #0280001131. I'd like her to pass smog and be relatively stock going forward so not sure I want to deal with the Pandora's Box route at this point.

Also, the speedo hasn't worked since I got her and the tach is now acting up too... although I suspect that could be from the bent needle.

Thanks,

T.G.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It sounds like you need to go through the fuse box and clean each one and make sure each fuse is making good contact. I doubt it is your ECU, mostly the work or they don't. Another place to check is the double relay under the hood, but if wiggling wires around the fuse box causes and solves the issues, it is most likely in the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Electrical connections. The Kryptonite of Alfas!
I have a TwinSpark in my Alfetta GT and struggled for months with a similar issue. It turned out to be the plug to my AFM had corrosion inside.
I clipped the plug off the wiring harness and hard-wired it and wrapped electrical tape around the individual female connectors and that resolved the problem.
My throttle position sensor had some moisture accumulated inside which certainly wasn't helping things.
I also replaced all my relays and renewed the fuse contacts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fuse elements are often Alu, the spring clips brass or brass alloy add a little moisture , a little dirt and you get Alu oxide at the point of contact. Take the fuses out clean the points of contact and renew the fuses. Another problem I've had is where the faston connectors onto the back of the fuse box make unreliable contact and typically no contact when the fuse assembly is hinged closed. Jiggle the wires around while monitoring the voltage at the supply side of the ignition controlled fuses ; you may also consider the ignition switch contacts. I agrees with SamW that the ECU itself is unlikely to be the cause.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much... I'll try all the above. I've simply read and heard that so many issues go away when the ECU is replaced. Kondor? You are probably right. the next thing to do is find a comfortable position while I try and work this out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts