Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With my 73 Super restoration/rebuild on the road to completion, it was time for my yearly visit to the motherland where my 73 and several other of my cars derived from. This year with the Euro so expensive against the dollar I told myself; there is NO WAY I am even going to look at another car, although a good friend did ask me to check out an Alfa he was interested in. The car he had me look at was discovered to be in rotten shape. While walking away from the junker I did spot an interesting car. It appeared to be a very early Super - not something you see every day in the States, so I just wanted to take a quick look. My few moments look turned into crawling all over it for an hour or so. There was much to like under the years of dirt and mess. It seemed original and had some but not a worrisome amount of rust. I've always liked how well made these early supers were made and had a pronounced attention to comfort and quality. The interior was in fantastic condition. Aside from an smell of oldness, inside was like a time capsule. I checked under each door and the metal was solid without any hint of rust. The doors shut perfectly with a "thunk" solid sound. The engine included the original fuel pump, generator and wires - things that would be changed with high milage.

As I looked, I kept telling myself; you don't need two Supers. The more I looked, the more her charms started to win me over. I suddenly found myself negotiating over price with the seller and came to a agreeable price!

Here she is, according to Marco at Alfa: AR 334108 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super (105.26), manufactured on the 8th September 1966 and sold on the 22nd September 1966 to Alfa Romeo Belgium.The body color is graphite grey, with leather skai interiors.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Yes...
It would be hard to pass that one up !
Unless the price got out of hand .....

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Wow Fred you are right! If I were picky I would struggle to pick something non-original on her. Man I like graphite grey on Supers. What a cracker!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dang man, do they hand out Supers when you get off the plane in the Netherlands (corrected, :) )?

Beautiful car!

Can anyone comment about the seat style? These seats have the rolled over top edges...is this style unique to Supers? I have seen 1-2 other variations but this is my favorite...maybe others were incorrect?

Congrats!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hoi Fred,

Congrats with your 'new old' Juul!!
Like the color and front of this type, can you drive her to us in Groningen for a sight?:D

Ciao!

Cor

·
Registered
208 Posts
Truly a stunning car. Leaves speechless. Period correct seat two point (?) seat belts. Could it be possible to have little more pictures on seat belts and maybe the lenghts also, please.

-AS

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears they are 3 point with the shoulder belt clipping onto the lap belt. I think they are original vintage as I have seen them in other supers of the era. I'll shoot more photos of the belts as well as the car soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice find Fred, great color, the car looks 'tutti originale'! Was it also at the 'junker' you mention? If so, what ELSE do they have...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Todd!
You need to come back to Holland. Still some nice ones here turning up.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The crafty Dutch have struck again! But you can't fool me, not this time. Now we know the truth. Just as they did with tulips, the Dutch have discovered a pathway to a parallel universe where Giulia Supers exist in abundance. And not only that, just to keep us guessing, they now make new Supers that look like well aged old Supers. Ha! In the 1800's the Dutch told everyone that tulips were very rare and in short supply when, in fact, there was an endless supply. Now they're trying the exact same thing with Supers!

Umm, I'd like one in grey if you don't mind. :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, no details. Built on the wrong side of the Alps for me to notice much about it.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Supers and even TI's were faster than 356's anyway.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Well . . .

What a nice find. I love the color combo on the interior. Very original looking all around. Interior seems especially nice but clean all around. When's she coming home??. These Series 1 cars were so aesthetically pleasing and well-made. Just gorgeous.

We sure do love the early ones! With the rolled seats!! I know another very original Series 1 '65 here . . . :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Dang man, do they hand out Supers when you get off the plane in the Netherlands (corrected, :) )?

Beautiful car!

Can anyone comment about the seat style? These seats have the rolled over top edges...is this style unique to Supers? I have seen 1-2 other variations but this is my favorite...maybe others were incorrect?

Congrats!
Yes as if they hand them out !!! But I have to say, given the number of Giulia Sedans that would appear to be being posted about here on the BB coming from Holland you could be excused for thinking as such.

Out here in Aus, no way, as far too few were ever imported.

However, to clarify the seats question you asked, and I am going slightly on memory here, so if I get it wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

Early Giulia TIs (not talking about TI Supers as they are different again), had a slightly different seat to the Giulia Super. As far as I can recall I don't think they had the rolled topedge, and possibly they might have even had a bench seat base with seperate seat backs ?? I do recall though that the TI had a netting on the rear of the seat, whereas Giulia Supers from '66-67 had a lower section of carpet at the base of the seat back. The '66-67 seats have the rolled section like as shown in the pictures on this thread, but as well the Nardi Alloy rimmed steering wheel.

The Giulia TIs had a strip speedo while the '66-67 Super had the instruments as shown. From memory (given I have owned both a '68 and my current Super is a '69), the '68 was a transition model with elements of both the '66-67 Super, ie. instruments, and AR GS script both internally and externally, but had the later style squarer door and window winder handles, the later style grab handles on the door cards, and the later square top seats and later style steering wheel. The '69 model onwards had the later style instruments and as well a console plus two small guages below the dash.

Then of course there is the Giulia TI 1300, and 1300 Super which again has a variety of difference.

Externally also the '66-67 grill is more detailed while from '68 the grill became simpler in its appearance, with seperate headlight rings.

I am changing my '69 back to look like a '66-67 model Super as I prefer the appearance of this model, but in buying a Super, given what choice we have at any one time, you take what ever you can find. Thankfully I have been fortunate to acquire most of the parts required to do this. I just need to secure a grill and that will sort it all out for me (and I think I have found one finally).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The crafty Dutch have struck again! But you can't fool me, not this time. Now we know the truth. Just as they did with tulips, the Dutch have discovered a pathway to a parallel universe where Giulia Supers exist in abundance. And not only that, just to keep us guessing, they now make new Supers that look like well aged old Supers. Ha! In the 1800's the Dutch told everyone that tulips were very rare and in short supply when, in fact, there was an endless supply. Now they're trying the exact same thing with Supers!
Hehe:) Ok, new "Tulipomania" but this time with Supers, hope that history won't repeat itself!

·
Premium Member
22,397 Posts
I go into some of the variations here on the Berlina Register page Berlina Register - All About the Giulia Sedan, and Berlina Newsletter 24 includes that same material and republished a good account in Italian of many of the variations with illustrations (it's too big to post). It's a field of study in which you could get a PhD.
If you want Newsletter 24 send me an email. Sadly the graphics didn't come through on the version posted on the Berlina site.
Andrew
andrew dot watry at lexisnexis dot com

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Yes as if they hand them out !!! But I have to say, given the number of Giulia Sedans that would appear to be being posted about here on the BB coming from Holland you could be excused for thinking as such.
Well, you can thank Roland/Giulia Blanco for his generous help in finding great Supers and TI's for several of us. It's appears that the Dutch discovered sometime ago, long before we woke up to the fact here in the States, that Supers and TI's were pretty cool cars. The problem is finding a good car and not, as Roland puts it, "shiny junk". Fortunately, Roland knows a lot and is very picky about what he'll recommend.

Finding and importing a car is not for everyone but, having imported cars before and understanding the process (and risks), I found Roland's help to be invaluable. In my book, Roland is the patron saint of Super and Ti's. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts