Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Another day, another fluid leak (this one's green)

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mmolto 
#1 ·
It's coming from the broken A/C compressor hose fitting pictured below. What am I looking at in terms of repair and, until it's repaired and other than not running the compressor, what considerations should I keep in mind? This is getting depressing. :(

Thanks in advance. Ken

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Looks like the freon hose (s) is completely chopped off!!!

Man, youre gonna first have to get new hose or hoses(dont know if the low pressure or high pressure is ok. Then, you have to figure out if you are going to stay with R12 or convert to R134a. Not an easy choice, but I can help you with that, as I did my own system from SCRATCH!

Yeah, the green stuff, should be fluorescent tracer dye, unless somehow, rad fluid is getting over there, which I doubt.

#4 ·
It worked yesterday. All the major components, including the compressor, are very new and installed very recently.

Dont know how it happened. The fitting attached to the hose snapped off. Maybe an over torqued compression fitting?

#8 ·
I'm not sure what he did or didn't do precisely but I'm learning the outcome.

#9 ·
Just something you may want to consider if you are going to to replace the R-12... R-134a molecules are much smaller, the system works at a much higher pressure (which is not good for hoses designed for R-12), and it takes a larger compressor to achieve the same amount of cooling that one gets with the R-12 system. An alternative is Environsafe ES-12, which is 100% compatible with R-12 components, requires a 1/3 of the freon amount that was needed with R-12, and is inexpensive, as well as an environmentally friendly.

Best regards,

#10 ·
ES 12?? Gonna look into that, zunige! Hope its not another "wonder" refrigerant with all kinds of caveats......

That small molecule thing......talked about alot, but in reality, doesnt affect it much. Barrier hoses are good, but practically will not ooze out of the hoses......

#12 ·
I have mixed feelings about Envirosafe and similar hydrocarbon refrigerants. They are mostly butane- the same stuff inside BIC lighters. I have never heard of a hydrocarbon A/C gas cause a fire or explosion, even in a crash, but most of the A/C professionals I know steer clear of products like Envirosafe due to the flamability potential. Heck, I have even heard you can charge the A/C straight from a BBQ grill propane tank. It is probably safe, at least somewhat, but I'm not taking the chance, at least until I get a bag of marshmallows to carry in the glove box.

-Wayne

#13 · (Edited)
Heck, I have even heard you can charge the A/C straight from a BBQ grill propane tank. It is probably safe, at least somewhat, but I'm not taking the chance, at least until I get a bag of marshmallows to carry in the glove box.

-Wayne
LOL, that is funny!!! You are thinking of Puron though, which is propane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.