Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming from the broken A/C compressor hose fitting pictured below. What am I looking at in terms of repair and, until it's repaired and other than not running the compressor, what considerations should I keep in mind? This is getting depressing. :(

Thanks in advance. Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Looks like the freon hose (s) is completely chopped off!!!

Man, youre gonna first have to get new hose or hoses(dont know if the low pressure or high pressure is ok. Then, you have to figure out if you are going to stay with R12 or convert to R134a. Not an easy choice, but I can help you with that, as I did my own system from SCRATCH!

Yeah, the green stuff, should be fluorescent tracer dye, unless somehow, rad fluid is getting over there, which I doubt.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Looks like an original system....R12. Sanden 508 compressor, I guess. You first will need to determine if the comp is still good. Do you know the last time it actually worked?

How did this happen?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked yesterday. All the major components, including the compressor, are very new and installed very recently.

Dont know how it happened. The fitting attached to the hose snapped off. Maybe an over torqued compression fitting?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,059 Posts
Funny, mine snapped in pretty much the same place. The system was already depressurized and not working, though, so it took me a while to notice the break.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
It worked yesterday. All the major components, including the compressor, are very new and installed very recently.

Dont know how it happened. The fitting attached to the hose snapped off. Maybe an over torqued compression fitting?
OK, so now Im getting the picture. What about the warranty from the guy who put it in?? He's gotta back it up, if you say it was done recently. No?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Otherwise, you have to get a new hose, reattach, and re evacuate/recharge. Maybe lost some oil, too. Nothing else to do.

Now, maybe it was OVERpressurized. Wonder if this can be a factor. I assume this guy observed the pressure gauges closely.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what he did or didn't do precisely but I'm learning the outcome.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Just something you may want to consider if you are going to to replace the R-12... R-134a molecules are much smaller, the system works at a much higher pressure (which is not good for hoses designed for R-12), and it takes a larger compressor to achieve the same amount of cooling that one gets with the R-12 system. An alternative is Environsafe ES-12, which is 100% compatible with R-12 components, requires a 1/3 of the freon amount that was needed with R-12, and is inexpensive, as well as an environmentally friendly.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Just something you may want to consider if you are going to to replace the R-12... R-134a molecules are much smaller, the system works at a much higher pressure (which is not good for hoses designed for R-12), and it takes a larger compressor to achieve the same amount of cooling that one gets with the R-12 system. An alternative is Environsafe ES-12, which is 100% compatible with R-12 components, requires a 1/3 of the freon amount that was needed with R-12, and is inexpensive, as well as an environmentally friendly.

Best regards,
ES 12?? Gonna look into that, zunige! Hope its not another "wonder" refrigerant with all kinds of caveats......

That small molecule thing......talked about alot, but in reality, doesnt affect it much. Barrier hoses are good, but practically will not ooze out of the hoses......

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
ES 12?? Gonna look into that, zunige! Hope its not another "wonder" refrigerant with all kinds of caveats......

That small molecule thing......talked about alot, but in reality, doesnt affect it much. Barrier hoses are good, but practically will not ooze out of the hoses......
Hi Joe,
The ES-12 is excellent. I have it in my '84 Spider, and the Alfa shop that I use in Cincinnati uses it for all conversions. (My car was the guinea pig two years+ ago...) As far as the R-134a in older systems, I have heard mixed success. Everything seems to hold up for a while, but I have heard of eventual failures, and have seen posts on this BB that it is a time bomb, but I've never tried it. My Alfa mechanic advised against it, and after a lot of research I suggested the ES-12, and due to the low cost he thought there was nothing to loose. :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Envirosafe and similar hydrocarbon refrigerants. They are mostly butane- the same stuff inside BIC lighters. I have never heard of a hydrocarbon A/C gas cause a fire or explosion, even in a crash, but most of the A/C professionals I know steer clear of products like Envirosafe due to the flamability potential. Heck, I have even heard you can charge the A/C straight from a BBQ grill propane tank. It is probably safe, at least somewhat, but I'm not taking the chance, at least until I get a bag of marshmallows to carry in the glove box.

-Wayne

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Heck, I have even heard you can charge the A/C straight from a BBQ grill propane tank. It is probably safe, at least somewhat, but I'm not taking the chance, at least until I get a bag of marshmallows to carry in the glove box.

-Wayne
LOL, that is funny!!! You are thinking of Puron though, which is propane.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Even in a convertible AC is Good to have

Question....why do we need air conditioning in a convertible?
For the most part I rarely use my AC but it does come in handy in some occasions. After purchasing my Spider in the US I had to drive 700 miles to Canada. I did about 500 miles with the top down. After 8 hours in the sun, wind pounding my head and a major headache, I decided to put the roof up and enjoy the rest of my ride home ... with the AC.

it was still one of my best drives ever!!!!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts