Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how it is doing it, althought the first one (the original alfa one) broke because a case bolt came out and caught the cooling fan on the alternator, bringing it to a screaching hault. This time, I don't know. The ear broke, it fell off leaving me with no water pump. Good news is, I work in the shop at work, I was heading there to pick up my paycheck (I'm off today) when this happened. Any ways, I got the Chevy's alternator bottom eared machined down to proper specs to remount it using that ear as welding cast aluminum is **** near impossible...
I'm having trouble with my redline, I keep hitting way too fast, the engine doesn't seem to take even 3 seconds to get to redline (5K) in first and second, third takes maybe 6 seconds to get that high, but once she's over 4K (time from 4k-5K is a little over 1 second-it screams really fast after 4K), she screams really quick...Any way to up my redline without a chip?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm waiting for the "I blew up my motor" thread. Really, I'm all for driving my Alfa's hard, and I almost always do, but have a little respect, will you? Spider's aren't drag racers. Find some twisty roads, and have your fun that way.:)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek:
I'm waiting for the "I blew up my motor" thread. Really, I'm all for driving my Alfa's hard, and I almost always do, but have a little respect, will you? Spider's aren't drag racers. Find some twisty roads, and have your fun that way.:)
Aww, but that is the problem, I don't want to hit redline, it would seem I'm needing to relearn how to drive the car after retiming the cams. If you think those times are too fast with hitting redline, realize, it still takes me a little more (time lost between shifts) than 12 seconds to get to 63mph. I already had a "I blew the motor" thread, although, as it turns out, I didn't:eek:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
what is your red line?
but with things breaking off I wonder if the balance is now bad on your motor.

I know on my 72 my front pulley was balanced to the crank.

I do not know how they came from the factory. but things snapping off to me is a tel tell of something out of balance. and if that is the case I would baby it until it can be torn down and rebuilt and have everything checked.
having the front pulley bust and the flywheel lose could have done some nasty things.

BTW when I put A VEMS on my 72 to do the spark and could log. I found I way over reved way over 8k the tach was showing very safe numbers. but in 1s the thing can rev much faster then the tach. If I rev it slow the tach is accurate but a fast spin up the tach is just too slow to keep up.
I added some LED lights in the center that go green yellow red(shift light) now I know the tach can't be trusted for the low gears.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts