Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
The 2nd highest price paid for a GT on BaT. $77,500 US plus whatever fees BaT charges.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Nope. Same name as on the ABB.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
My take on this was the planets were aligned.. I think the bidder(s) in the ionosphere were putting pencil and paper together and a calendar. They were rationalizing if one bought a 35-45 thou GTV and did all the stuff that was done to this it would probably come out of one's bank account the same way and this way you wouldn't have the wait and the hassle. It had to have been some bidders looking for an end result like this to get into the fray. I wouldn't put any more than that into the whole exercise. It doesn't really reflect what good stock GTV's are in the market IMO.....My initial reaction was too much pot being wafted .. but I think there are some hunters looking for stuff like this but it does't cut across the broader market.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Quite a few mods on that car. No longer a street car. Does look nice, though. Surprised at the price.

As a side thought, have to admit, even though I owned and drove a 64 Sprint GT for a very long time, putting on 260k miles, Every time I see that sump extending down below the front bodywork, I cringe. Never had the sump hit anything, but still I always worried about it when driving. Never liked the sump guard look, and it reducing clearance even more, so never used one. If this car is just for track use, not much to worry about.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quite a few mods on that car. No longer a street car. Does look nice, though. Looks like the hood doesn't fit right, needs shimming?

Have to admit, even though I owned and drove a 64 Sprint GT for a very long time putting on 260k miles, Every time I see that sump extending down below the front bodywork, I cringe. Never had mine hit anything, but still I always worried about it when driving. Never liked the sump guard look, and it reducing clearance even more, so never used one.
I disagree that this is no longer a street car. It doesn't have a full cage, fire suppression, or lack a regular key. Nothing to stop you from driving on a public road.

This is probably best understood as a budget Alfaholics GTA-R. One of those will run you several hundred thousand (exactly how many hundreds depends how far you go off the deep end).

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Q Every time I see that sump extending down below the front bodywork, I cringe. Never had the sump hit anything, but still I always worried about it when driving.
I posted a comment (after the auction) that the sump would last from 1 to 50 miles where I drive but the BaT jury has me on their "watch list" and it never made the print

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
"Nothing to stop you from driving on a public road"

Probably correct, but speaking from experience, a friend years ago had a similarly prepared Alfa, and it was somewhat of a chore to drive on the street, not a lot of fun actually after a few miles. Fun at first to race around, but after a while, wanted to put it back in the garage. Just depends on exactly what was done to the car.

Reactions: gordonnelson

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
There's a lot of money that was made in the Bitcoin/Gamestop/Blackberry market and the Fed keeps pumping money into the economy (still buying lots and lots of bonds every month) + Uncle Sam it showering us with money - and giving lots and lots of money to their friends. So, we're watching inflation hit, right before our eyes!

I quoted a client on a Toyota Sienna XLE mini van the other day. Sticker price is $45K. For a middle of the road mini van??? Or better yet, I ordered a Corolla for my client - Less than $200 shy of $27K on the sticker!

Or go to the grocery store and try to walk out under $150. I just filled the tank on one of my cars at $3.89/gallon. Prices are going up and they're going up fast. With the price of raw materials (wood, copper, etc) and labor costs on the rise, it's higher inflation for a while.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"Nothing to stop you from driving on a public road"

Probably correct, but speaking from experience, a friend years ago had a similarly prepared Alfa, and it was somewhat of a chore to drive on the street, not a lot of fun actually after a few miles. Fun at first to race around, but after a while, wanted to put it back in the garage. Just depends on exactly what was done to the car.
I think it's mostly a matter of taste. My spider is track prepped to a higher level than that car (6 point harnesses, fixed back seats, no HVAC, no soft top) and it's a blast on the street (in my humble opinion). Obviously it's never going to be a great daily driver, but I don't think any classic Alfa is.

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
While I agree lots of money has been spent on it, its door fit is poor and its a bit rough around the edges.

I also don't understand the street driving issue, though. It is lowered no more than most on this site, and I assume they drive theirs. But yeah why people who buy these cars have to put them on the ground I don't understand ... trying to be boy racers again I guess. Fair enough, we all have midlife crisis's

Pete

Reactions: Smithy and nunki

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had a Giulia super, which was lowered to the max.. so much i couldnt even fit a sump guard...drove it for a few weeks to find out one spring winding was broken on both sides...after new springs, it was still low and drove it at least 2 years, but never hit the sump too hard... we have a lot of speedbumps in holland, but not so much putholes,and think those are actaully more dangerous for the sump.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
"a great daily driver, but I don't think any classic Alfa is"

Oh, they are not all that bad at all. Been driving Alfas since 66 and every one of them was a DD to work and back, or on trips around the US Southwest, putting many k's of miles on them in great pleasure. I always told Carlo that these cars would have to earn their keep. Every drive to work and back was just fine as compared to what I was going to have to do at work. There were a few times, I just kept on going up into the mountains for a very nice drive instead of work, lol.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"a great daily driver, but I don't think any classic Alfa is"

Oh, they are not all that bad at all. Been driving Alfas since 66 and every one of them was a DD to work and back, or on trips around the US Southwest, putting many k's of miles on them in great pleasure. I always told Carlo that these cars would have to earn their keep. Every drive to work and back was just fine as compared to what I was going to have to do at work. There were a few times, I just kept on going up into the mountains for a very nice drive instead of work, lol.
On a nice day, sure. But I wouldn’t want to be in a GTV in a blizzard or a 100F day. They were daily drivers back in their time to be sure, but modern cars are undoubtedly safer and more comfortable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
On a nice day, sure. But I wouldn’t want to be in a GTV in a blizzard or a 100F day. They were daily drivers back in their time to be sure, but modern cars are undoubtedly safer and more comfortable.
Blizzard? I'm sorry, but I had to take the bait on this.
69' GTV was my daily/only car - the daily driver. Except of course on motorcycle days in "good weather" - or when the alfa was on blocks for services, which were many days while saving for parts in college. Two wheeling it on el nino atmospheric river days really delivered that true sense of adventure!
But, I regress. Talking about blizzard. Real skiers don't bother with fair weather days. They chase the storms like waves into the mountains to catch the deepest of pow pow. Crossing the Sacto San Joaquin River Delta region with lightning bolts in the rear view mirror meant I was on the crest and looking forward to plenty of fresh and deep powder! Climbing past the snow line - the lower the better - and installing cable chains for the journey to the base. Did this a lot in the the GTV! Total white out 6ft snow walls on each side of the road... Parking pointing downhill. Very important. Will spica fire at sub zero tempuratures? YES - with enough encouragement for sure. I remember rolling miles, sometimes hundreds of yards spinning the engine in second third.. whatever it took. Pop...pop...popopop... Fired and off we go headed back in style. Alfa skimobile, would not have traded it in on a brand new Range Rover..no way! Daily! hahhaaa where's your sense of adventure?

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Lol, I drove my Alfas 365 a year, come rain, snow, or shine.

As for new cars being safer and more comfortable, well, maybe safer, but more comfortable? Not much difference in my book. The seats and heaters were good enough. I found nothing uncomfortable with any of the Alfa seats. And a/c, when equipped, something we don't need in our area, in most areas worked ok. The 164 a/c, esp the better LS, was good enough, even in Phoenix in the summer when we drove each through. Lol, once we pulled the front license plate from even the Milano, the a/c was just barely ok (well, on the ragged edge for sure) in Phoenix at 110F. The problem with the Milano in Phoenix was that the stock radiator was too small, needed the Verde version.

Sorry for the diversion. Back to the car which was for sale.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Lol, I drove my Alfas 365 a year, come rain, snow, or shine.

As for new cars being safer and more comfortable, well, maybe safer, but more comfortable? Not much difference in my book. The seats and heaters were good enough. I found nothing uncomfortable with any of the Alfa seats. And a/c, when equipped, something we don't need in our area, in most areas worked ok. The 164 a/c, esp the better LS, was good enough, even in Phoenix in the summer when we drove each through. Lol, once we pulled the front license plate from even the Milano, the a/c was just barely ok (well, on the ragged edge for sure) in Phoenix at 110F. The problem with the Milano in Phoenix was that the stock radiator was too small, needed the Verde version.

Sorry for the diversion. Back to the car which was for sale.
To each their own. I have a lot of tolerance comfort and reliability foibles for a toy car that I can choose whether to drive or not based on my mood and the weather. I have much less tolerance for a car that I rely on to get me to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts