Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
we had a monzeglio engine in canada in our team it was a 1750 not narrow head it was very powerful, still today i am pretty sure Mario uses the old monzeglio cams in some of his engines , excellent cams , monzeglio did some very good work also , although much more modest organization than angelini , much smaller and came in quite a bit later than angelini , monzeglio was not elaborating cars in the early - mid 60s like angelini . Monzeglios time was early 70s , nor did monzeglio ever conceive - design - buld his own engines like angelini did, angelini had his own 105 16 valve head design casted by cosworth , his own 2l v6 used in sport prototipi and formula 2 . Angelini considered monzeglio a small artesan otufit. nevetheless Reanto monzeglio did some excellent work and on some occasions was able to beat boh autodelta and angelini in some races . It would be nice to see a book on Renato Monzeglio there is history to be written about their turin based establishment out of a alfa dealership . I reall among his drivers luigi Pozzo .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Targa Florio 1971

Well, put aside the fact that Zanetti/Ruspa, Monzeglio GTA (11th OA) was extremely well prepared car and Renato Monzeglio was great expert and formidable tuner, but 55th Targa Florio in 1971 saw only one Angelini car in grid, #101, de Luca (Paul Chris)/Benedetto Montecatini, retired in 3° lap. Others (inscribed) like Dini/Rinaldi didn’t show up at start. I have indicated Targa Florio #238 at Dini’s photo (while practicing) only as reference. #97, Rizzo/Alongi GTA (16th OA) though the colors were identic to Angelini’s, was not his machine. So, “whooped” seems to be little exaggerated expression in this case. And without any intention do downgrade great Renato, I have to say that Angelini’s palmares is twice as long. So, let to Cesar what is Cesar’s…
Zanetti-Ruspa
Paul Chris-Montecatini
Rizzo-Alongi

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is true I did give team Monzeglio Squadra Corse a very prepared factory works Autodelta GTA 1600 Corsa. You cannot take away the fantastic job that
Maurizio Zanetti and Renzo Ruspa did while driving this particular GTA 613.883 to a 1st in class (1 CL) victory in the 1.6 GTS class/
(11 OA) at the 1971 Targa Florio. I feel this is a amazing feat for a 1600 GTA Corsa among the likes of much more powerful machinery in this event. This brings back nostalgia and happiness to my heart to think about this! Time for some pasta and to attend to the dogs.

Does anyone know if my friends M. Zanetti or R. Ruspa are still alive?

Well, put aside the fact that Zanetti/Ruspa, Monzeglio GTA (11th OA) was extremely well prepared car and Renato Monzeglio was great expert and formidable tuner, but 55th Targa Florio in 1971 saw only one Angelini car in grid, #101, de Luca (Paul Chris)/Benedetto Montecatini, retired in 3° lap. Others (inscribed) like Dini/Rinaldi didn’t show up at start. I have indicated Targa Florio #238 at Dini’s photo (while practicing) only as reference. #97, Rizzo/Alongi GTA (16th OA) though the colors were identic to Angelini’s, was not his machine. So, “whooped” seems to be little exaggerated expression in this case. And without any intention do downgrade great Renato, I have to say that Angelini’s palmares is twice as long. So, let to Cesar what is Cesar’s…
Zanetti-Ruspa
Paul Chris-Montecatini
Rizzo-Alongi

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Borzacchini Jr,

The two pictures you posted above (interior and engine) is NOT AR613.883 but rather a later Monzeglio 1300 GTA Jr. that is in the SHIKOKU AUTOMOBILE MUSEUM. Žl�‘Ž©“®ŽÔ”Ž•¨ŠÙ
(1st picture below in yellow Monzeglio team colors).

(AR 613.883 is an Autodelta factory works 1600 GTA Corsa (1967), prior to AD transferring title of '883' to Monzeglio Squadra Corse in 1969).
Per Allergerita 613.883 had these notable wins:
-1st in Class 24 hr. Spa 1967, Autodetla SpA
-1st in Class Trento Bondone 1968, Autodetla SpA
-1st in Class Targa Florio 1971 GTS 1.6), Monzeglio Squadra Corse

This is 613.883 today in 2014. (2nd set of pictures in a livery blend of it 1967 24 Hr. Spa 1st in Class Win and it's #102 Targa Florio 1971 1st in Class Win.

-CC

Here are photos of ****pit and engine bay of Monzeglio (true, the origin was Autodelta prepared car) 613883 that was winner in 1600 class (11th OA) in TargaFlorio '71. Compared to Autodelta, it had more comfort!

P.S. Ovvia Carlo, nun te mette a litiga' coi Romani

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts

The photo of the interior of Monzeglio car is from “Amici di Targa Florio” official site. The engine in GTAJ that is in Japan is “narrow” head and the photo of the one declared Zanetti-Ruspa car (1600) is also from official Targa Florio Archive. The colors of red GTA in the post are invented and never present in any Autodelta car. Here is photo of Pinto-Cavallari # 45 in 24 heurs Spa in ’67. The nose is white and it had additional lights for that occasion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As Ing Carlo Chiti stated that Japanese yellow GTA Jr. above currently has a standard 1300 head and is NOT a small narrow "Piccolo" head. There are many more pictures of that GTA Jr. showing the same GTA Jr. wood dash and other Jr. interior peices you posted. As what was stated earlier that interior picture is not 883.

As you know 613.883 a 1600 GTA Corsa with it's original AD dash interior and AD rollbar. Today 883 has a livery 'blend' paint job combining it's original Rosso color as it won with in the 67" 24 Hr. of SPA and it wears a Targa style #102 just as it won with at the Targa Florio in 1971 with team Monzeglio. The amazing thing is that all the original yellow Monzeglio paint from 70/71" is still underneath and still visible in many places on the car. The fenders are the same fenders Monzeglio Squadra Corse put on in 1971.
I own the car today so I can verify these facts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Rosso GTV
True, I did not pay attention to a wooden dash (it was common in majority of cars) and omit to consider that your car was Autodelta provenience and had “corsa” dash. Anyhow, the photos in Targa Florio site are posted in a wrong order and I have made a mistake not to look at them with more attention. I was convinced that the car in *** museum is ex Luigi Pozzo’s GTAJ that was narrow head and Colotti gear, but if you have seen other photos that confirms different Monzeglio 1300 GTAJ, I would accept that. I do remember your car well. I saw it in Trento in 1968 (it was Weber in it and he was really fast) and I have found also the photo of it from 24h Spa Francorchamp with Pinto driving. You have to admit that it had quite a different look at that period. In my modest opinion it would be nice to report it in Monzeglio yellow (with all the stickers and text) as it has finished its career in that suit, and actual colors have nothing to do with Autodelta or Monzeglio. Balduzzi has made some cars with similar design in its late creations when he has abandoned his traditional V design, but your car has natural right to bear official colors of Monzeglio team. Just a curiosity. How much of authentic Autodelta work has remained on the car? Is it with risers or it has Monzeglio ball in front suspension? The rear bearings are plastic ones that Monzeglio used to fix the axle movements or they are classic Autodelta style remained in place? Finally, I wonder if it was your car offered some times ago, and supplied with improbably story of French driver suicide because of love affairs? If so, thank heavens that it has finished in right hands (looking at your past machines).

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
angelini

:clap:

Please start new threads about Monzeglio or 613883 and transfer these posts there; they really do not belong in this thread about Angelini.

:chinese:

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
A new thread about this mysterious 'Monzeglio ball in front suspension' might be good, too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes ithink there should be athread on monzeglio and one on gamberini , facetti etc..... please leave this as a file on only angelini related . thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right! In parentheses, Monzeglio tread here was a reaction to negative critics of Angelini’s cars. So let it be Angelini again. As a kind of answer to jg1053 curiosity, here are some Angelini’s babies and their data. Speaking about Angelini and his elaborations, you could note some peculiarity not so evident among other car tuners. Angelini, by nature, was experience and intuition master, with rare talent to improve and made perfect already good existing solutions, mainly dealing with engines. He was not graduated in engineering, but his knowledge, theoretical and even more practical in making engines, partially or completely, was enormous, and he was generally appreciated by Chiti, Ferrari, Bizzarrini or any other giant in that field. Angelini fall in forever love with twin overhead camshaft engine produced in early 50ties by Alfa Romeo and proved that his ideas about its improvements were sometimes genial. He usually leaved existing Autodelta (or other) underwear on the car, concentrating on the engine, where he was capable of creating miracles. His ability to squeeze any atom from the existing engine and to use it, gave him that aureole of absolute wizard, and “Sor Franco” as “his boys” has called him in typical Roman way, was a kind of divinity and undiscussed authority when the racing or engine elaboration was considered. He proved his ability in various racing activities from ETCC Group 2, Group 4, Group 5, Formula 3, Formula 2, Group 6 (Sport Prototypes) and boat racing. In every part of his activity, he reached the top results and left visible trace, and there should be separate chapter to list all his victories. As this forum treats mainly Alfa Romeo GTA and GT Am ETCC cars, I will point only the cars prepared for these competitions. Common Angelini GTA in its traditional red and white suit, were driven by Giunti, De Adamich, Dini, Rinaldi, Rampa, Pelatelli, Riccardone and many other champions of the past. He left suspensions (front and rear) as they usually had arrived from Settimo and did not touch camber values, adding sliding block from 1968 on all his cars (including Group 4 and Group 5), but his interventions on engine were huge and complex. My poor English does not permits me to explain in detail his work but I can say that every piece of the engine was disassembled and rectified to reach perfection. His “officina” in Monteverde quarter of Rome was much more like pharmacy or laboratory than garage. There was part of it with all necessary machines to produce pieces based on Angelini’s design, and for complex parts he ordered smelting, casting and moulding dies in highly specialized factories (for example, heads of his design for GTAs made in England) having in mind only the idea of perfection and not the cost of producing. He had also a dyno on which he measured all the values and from his workshop in quiet Roman, residential quarter came music for elected ears, and hell sounds and rumors for majority of his neighbors. His reliable 1600 engines produced up to 180 HP with two valves and being stronger than other competitors they were accused to be irregular by someone. Later, for Group 4, and especially for Group 5 “Silhouette” cars, Angelini has produced engines up to four valves that only in base had their original Alfa Romeo roots. He was convinced that Perfect Square bore and stroke movement could produce best results and so, he cleft 1300 block to 1100ccm to reach that. With the head of his design and KKK turbo charger added for Group 5, car (called “the bomber” because of the sound that produced) obtain 250 HP in its “working” version, and up to 340 HP at 10 000 Rpm with Garrett charger, in its experimental form. Beside these elaborations, Angelini has produced Alfa based V6 and V8 engines used for Prototype and Formula 2 Chevron cars and GTA version for marine boat racing that has reached few world records. Well, this is just short and informative note about Franco Angelini and his beautiful work that, together with Monzeglio, Conrero, Facetti, Balduzzi, Gamberini and of course, Autodelta, wrote the most important pages in the history of Alfa Romeo racing.
Here are some of Angelini’s cars
1300 GTAJ-Spartaco Dini /170 HP/
1600 GTA-Ignazio Giunti /176 HP/
1100 Gr.5, Turbo charged KKK “The Bomber” /250 HP/
1600 Gr.5 “Silhouette” 4V /230 HP/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thank for e very interesting tread
Thou there is one thing that puzzle me.
The cylinder head.
Borzacchini jr. mentioned in post 75
"and for complex parts he ordered smelting, casting and moulding dies in highly specialized factories (for example, heads of his design for GTAs made in England) having in mind only the idea of perfection and not the cost of producing.

In his first period together with the GTA he used the 80 degree valve angle cylinder head, standard from Alfa Romeo.
When did he start to produce his own cylinder heads.
Who made the casting of the cylinder heads in England.
Did it have the same valve angle, 46 degrees as the Alfa Romeo cylinder head, or in what way did it defer from the Alfa Romeo narrow angle head.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another magic touch of “Sor Franco”. The Queen of Vallelunga 178 HP at 7800rpm (measured on dyno). I am afraid that she might leave Italy forever…
P.S. Partial answer to 2000 touring sp's quest.
I do not know who in England has produced heads designed by Angelini but they were different from those used by Chiti. The complete design was made with help of young engineers Patrizio Dessi and Giuseppe Roggi, that have made theoretical part of job and designs for casting. Angelini has produced 4 valve 1600 head before Autodelta did the same, and his 1300, 2 and 4 valves was not copy of “narrow” head from Settimo, though he continued to use also the heads that were supplied him from Autodelta. His relations with Chiti was cordial and based on reciprocal respect. I think that the number of “English” heads was around 25, and for them he produced special valves from the steel used for jet engines. For his injection systems, he preferred Lucas injection (considered more reliable), but has used also some SPICA pumps. In those years, he was often at Maranello, guest of Enzo Ferrari, which considered Franco Angelini friend and talented technician, and Angelini stated that Ferrari gave him precious counsels.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
the heads at first were cast in italy but with poor results, so he then went along with Claudio Francisci his pilot to the uk and had talked with a foundry who did the casting for cosworth and lotus . They were both AMAZED at the level of organization and tecnology in the foundry and the increbible castingsthere of all sorts of race cars .... by the way his italian molds of the 16 valve head were observed by the english engeneers and found not to be good for the casting so they had to make new molds for them to be able to cast the heads .Angelini at first ordered 25 heads. Once in italy the newly cast 16 valve heads were ready to be worked on by Franco , to his surprise and amazement the heads were cast in such a high resistance material that his shop tools were damaged by the hardness of the heads .

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have both Angelini and Autodelta 16v engines in my shop, and while the A/D is my own, I consider the Angelini cylinderhead superior from many engineering points of view, ultimately more powerful and better to work on and certainly superior casting quality.
A true testament to enthusiasm for a result and an intelligent and considered approach to resolving a problem.
:- Bravo Ing. Franco Angelini!
Rgds,
Vince.

·
Registered
23 Posts
il gta n° 97 ha i colori angelini perche' mio padre pochi mesi primi compro' la macchina da franco angelini, quel l'anno angelini fece i complimenti a mio padre per i tempi che aveva ottenuto in gara. Ho avuto dopo tanti anni la possibilita' di conoscere franco angelini, ho trascorso un intera giornata con lui ed ho avuto la sensazione di una persona sincera e molto disponibile. Ancora oggi ho la possibilita' con i ricordi di mio padre di rivivere quegli anni, e capire come va guidato un gta. grazie

61 - 80 of 129 Posts