Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please post here pictures and facts about Franco Angelini and in particular his involvement with racing GTAs and GTAjrs. I will start with pictures of his shop in Roma and some engines and cars that were there at the time of my visit.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Angelini 1750 berlina gta twin plug head , 1.9 liter engine . close ratio gear box , gta flat face differential 8 /41 .
Angelini gr 5 siluhette gta , approx 1990 car had at the time a 1.0 liter alfa engine turbo powered . raced in prototypes .
Franco angelini along with my father Giorgio pirotta scotti , friend , client and also raced with a angelini prepared 1750 in the ital motors racing team in edmonton alberta. On the far right Giovanni francos main mechanic and friend .
Two of the three angelini gtas 1600 , third was the siluhette .

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
interiors of 1600 gta

For a time in the late 70s Angelini , through a client ( or relative , im not sure ) he had he was given mechanical maintenance of some of tha alitalia jets dc 9 s here are some very old pictures , i'm sorry they are ruined by humidity but you can still make out his name on the engines of the alitalia jets.
My father says he recalls that it did not last very long maybe a couple of years . maybe some one on the forum can give us more info on this.

Angelini sport prototipo , this was his sport prototipo car , i do not know much about it i think it was not alfa poweerd it had an angelini engine , in one of the pictures posted of his shop there is a black and white picture of this car i do not know the chassis if it was a known brand or his own ,also in another of the beautiful pictures posted on his shop ypu can see in a corner a 6 or 8 cilinder angelini engine of his fabrictation , i do not konw if this was the power plant of this car , also in the late 80s he designed and produced his own formula 2 car all angelini mechanicals , unfortunately it was for him a wery large invenstment and a year or two later the formula 2 series came to an end .

Also Angelini used to do the mechanical preparation on the carabinieri giulias used for chasing outlaws . i recall several times going into his shop and seiing the giulia supers there under severe care and preparation. We cannot recall if they actually had special angelini mechanicals or just fine tuning of the original alfa engine . there is even a model of these , a 1/43 giulia carabinieri produced by progetto k in italy . it had i recall cormodora daytonas instead of the stock steel whells. It could have very well have had a 16 v engine . again maybe someone could shed light on this too.

more to come .. some work oreders and a few cards .

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dear All,
I have a contribution to this thread...
Angelini had at least two of his prepared Alfas runnjing in Ecuador (South America).
One being a 2 liter testa stretta 848 GTA, driven by Guido Recalde and a second, a GTA with a 16v head, silhuette shaped, yellow color, driven by Arnaldo Sambucci

Both of these cars arrived to Ecuador in the late 70's.

Attached you will find pictures of these Ecuadorian Angelinis.

NOTE: In the thread GTAm full alluminum you will find more pictures of the 848 GTA, testa stretta prepared by Angelini.

Regards,
Gonzalo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I had a funny experience with Angelini. Well, not that funny in retrospective.
I bought some parts for my Am motor from him, had a friend in Rome, that of course did not even know what a motor was, pick up the parts.
When I received a Lucas metering pump, it came without the pulley and the rear of the pump.
When confronted, Angelini replied: "When you buy a shoe, do you want the heel also?".
Bottom line, I called him a few appropriate epithets, and never heard from him again. What a BS artist!

Otherwise, a brilliant Alfista engineer. No doubts about it.

Regards, Alberto

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
1 - 20 of 96 Posts