Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I had a crash last october, third crash with the car in silver...
Besides that I had grip problems with the new engine with 175 hp at the wheels. I want to stick with the Toyo R888, though switching to slicks could have solved the problem also. Also we fitted a watts linkage.

At the front al the metal had to come off, now all plastic. So much to spray allready that I decided to paint the whole outside of the car. Don`t like a wide body shape in silver myself, so..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I am waiting for them too...they are not mine. Seemed also there was a flat battery in the back facing one , so it is a gamble what is on that one...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
update , start season 2013.
First race run 7th of april.
second place in qualifying,
first race first place overall (thanks to the 155 TS`s both having trouble)
second race 4th overall and second in class (faster car ran on slicks, I still have the Toyo R888)

I also had a model made, 1:18. (the 695 Abarth is my wifes car)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
update , start season 2013.
First race run 7th of april.
second place in qualifying,
first race first place overall (thanks to the 155 TS`s both having trouble)
second race 4th overall and second in class (faster car ran on slicks, I still have the Toyo R888)

I also had a model made, 1:18. (the 695 Abarth is my wifes car)
Hi Veep,

Congratulations on your win. Great looking car too.

I am very interested in its colour. I bought a Giulia 1300 Super here in February which was a South African built car and is a very similar colour. I have never seen another Alfa that colour. Do you know what the colour is called?

Here is a link to a post on my car. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/205810-just-joined-giulia-fraternity.html.

Good luck with future races!

Groete,
Charles

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hi Charles,

Color on my car is Ford color, Jump, seen on het new Ka....

Color on your car seems to be non alfa, or a very classic color, maybe look at the old Fiat colors? maybe a painter can measure/scan it and search the recipe to check. Should be possible these days.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
and ... how about some video from those Gopros on your roof ;)

taken from the car that had pole. Is video first race 2012.
The vidoe`s taken with the gopro`s on my car are deleted from the site of the maker.. I ask him if I can have it, did not save it back then.

Mind you, The 155`s are running slicks, I Toyo R888
After a number of laps my front tires are getting bad (understeer) and their slicks are getting warmed up, and than the party is over for me...
The understeer is not totaly solved yet , did not drive much last year...
Tomorrow change the camber and dampersettings, next race sunday.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I had when the car was small body the 195/50/15 and - 2,6 degr. Camber. Now it is set up at - 3,4 degr, as far as it will go.
Toyo are 225/45/15 now.
Car has now also watts , which as I understand needs more frontcamber too. ( sliding block also of course)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Veep
Just found thread so apologies for jumping back but am interested in your gear shift modification. Have been considering something similar, yours looks very elegant, were there any problems sorting the geometry and do you find it beneficial.

Martin

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hi Martin,

Sure it is beneficial. There are several other fabrications to be found on this BB.
I would like to have it a bit tighter still, working on that.
Main problem with the Original setup comes when you sit lower and further back, as I in the racer. I just cannot reach 5. Other way to solve is is to bend and use a longer stick.
With a seat on the original spot it is less a problem that can be solved by just bending the stick a little (heat it with a torch).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Patrick / Europen Service Centre

I'm sure the car will be a lot of fun! Good luck. When you do start developing the car further, I would consider a Panhard as one of the first steps. It will lower the roll center and have a very noticeable improvement on lap times. It may be the best modification you can make in terms of cost versus lap times.

Erik
I would recommend a Watts link set-up over a Panhard rod. I ran my GTV for 20 yrs with a panhard rod & it worked quite well. However, when I built my new car I incorporated a watts link set up AND it transformed the handling.
I was amazed at how much better the car felt with the watts link.
To view the demise of my old / original GTV racecar go to vimeo.com/22803744
New car built since

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I would recommend a Watts link set-up over a Panhard rod. I ran my GTV for 20 yrs with a panhard rod & it worked quite well. However, when I built my new car I incorporated a watts link set up AND it transformed the handling.
I was amazed at how much better the car felt with the watts link.
To view the demise of my old / original GTV racecar go to vimeo.com/22803744
New car built since
I think Veep already installed a Watts link on this car. I had a Panhard rod in my first GTV, a Watts in the current GTV and a Panhard in my Spider. If the roll center is set at the same height, I would bet that Lewis Hamilton couldn't tell the difference between them! While the Watts is theoretically better due to a lack of track changes, this effect is tiny with a properly set up panhard rod. A good driver WILL quickly notice any significant difference in roll center, roll stiffness, shocks etc.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Last winter we did a makeover on the car.. had to scrub off some old demons...
Different color. Now on slicks.

pics from Spettacolo Sportivo by the dutch Alfa Romeo club, last weekend. around 45 cars n the grid, qualified 8th. first race ended in 6th. 2nd race technical problems sadly. tomorrow research on what went wrong.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 82 Posts