Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry, didn`t have time to report on the shake down..
Sadly there was a little problem with the ventilationpipe off the fueltank.. so there was some fuel-loss in the corners and race-control took me off the track.. Little problem but by the time it was fixed time was up...

First race last of the grid, but a good start considering I had only done 4 laps in the car earlier ..

But after a few laps disaster struck..I lost power in the high rpm, so came in. After a check a valveclaerance plate was found on cyl 4 that was in half.. The engine took 8000rpm, was very willing but a little too much, and I didn`t have good shifting points, the gearing is too short. So we will fix the valve damage, put in harder valve springs, and put on a longer final drive. Hope to test on 2 november again. And some other little things to attand to, but these are the main problems for now.

Although I only did about 8 laps in total we learned a lot about the car, the engine has tremendous potential.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's Racing! Nice to hear you are taking it in strides Veep. Keept the progress reports comming!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
time for a little update:

We found 1 valve was hit by overrevving (my own fault..) . Engine was opened up because of some metal parts in the sump, to clean.Thats fixed in the meantime, with stiffer springs also. And we will put in a longer rear axle ratio, the 9:43 was too short, before the finishline I was already near the 8000 revs, and that is just on 1/4 on the straight end on Zandvoort...The engine is willing to rev more, and on some corners I am near the 8000 again, the corner too far away not to lift the gas, but too near to change gear. So in will go a 9:41, see what that will do. And we put in a shiftlight...Also we will loosen the damper adjustment, the car was too bouncy.

Can`t wait too try again...pic in action:
Edfo Fotografie - Squadra Italia

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
time for an update again.. Loose some win some (still not, but will come some day..) many problems that are solved, better laptimes , ans hit the guardrail the second race. Is fixed again , and last weekend 4 races , 1 DNF, and took 4 seconds of the best time till now. We will get there!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
thanks for asking!
Car has been an item in a dutch car magazine focussing on technical issues in classic cars.
Besides that I didn`t take part in every possible race in the series, so ended up in the middle of the list. But the races I ran were good! Top 3 of the 105-series attending. I have seen better laptimes every occasion, now 2.10 at its best on Toyo R888 , started at 2.20 on (used) slicks.. Car does better on the R888. Just fitted another engine (second hand from the old Squadra Bianca race series) with far more torque, hit my best laptime from last season just running it in last month after a rebuild on a very cold track..
So thats a promise for the new year! I also mailed with the guy who originaly build my "'new"' engien and he thinks he can extract some more power still by fiddling with the cam timing.

Next week I join the Banks family at their annual track day, and will mis the first race, but never mind. Won`t be attending all races this year again, skip some because of holidays (has to be with a family), and plan to run 1 or 2 races in the Belgian Bravo-series at Spa, just fot the fun of it!

I also have big plans with the old engine, but that will take a while.. Is planned for next winter-stop.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@1750 GT sorry i dind`t follow up on your question about the engine.
I have the dyno results from my old and new engine, but forget the numbers that are mentioned at the flywheel.. to little loss in drivetrain calculated. Engines have around 190 bhp at the flywheel, the older just below, the new just above we estimate. whats at the wheels is the most important. Still with standard size but reworked valves, and standard pistons/conrods. Alu flywheel with tilton clutch.
Basicly the same engines from the same builder besides different cams. Older engine on 45 mm dell orto, second one on 40.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
a little update: blew hte engine last race last year.
So we rebuild my spare engine with other pistons, rods , another head and some other stuff from various suppliers. Put an DTA with throttle body`s on it, just to do this sometime on a Nord...
dynoed today, 165 hp and 171 nm at the wheels.
a little less than I hoped but a little more hp than the blown engine.
Not done any race this year yet, having a little health and other issues...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Sorry to hear bout these events (health and sport)...but take heart in knowing that many of us as well have been experiencing new unfamiliar health events...I hope you get the car back on the track with you in the driver's seat sometime soon!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes Veep - Hope both you & the Alfa get 'back on track'.
Meantime, looking through this thread I didn't catch the actual colour of your beautiful machine? It is gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)

we changed the car a little after a crash on the last testing day last year october..
Result: 4th and 3th on the first 2 races last sunday, and took 4 sec of the best time so far.

The 155`are on slicks by the way, myself on Toyo R888, and I had issues with understeering still a bit (as can be seen on the video).
Still a 2.05 agains the 2.04 of the 155`s and room for improvement. It should become an interesting year..

41 - 60 of 82 Posts