Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and part 2 of the pictures..
This is the current status. Hard work going on to finish all the drivetrainparts, so they can be bolted on.

I will keep you posted about the (slow) progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
benjoys02 said:
your car looks great and the paint job looks fantastic! did it need a lot of body work prior?
Study first pic in his first post :confused: It's just that his floor is so clean! :eek:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the cage does not run in the trunk, but why should it. It runs to the upper shock-absorberpoints, which has big reinforcements with extra steel. And all the suspension pic-up points are seam-welded

And yes it needed substantial bodywork:

New floors, new inner and outer sills, lower parts of the fenders, fixing of big crash damage (with thick layers of filler...) There was a difference left-richt of 2,5 cm in length of the car... (in the suspension.) The car has been placed on a jig to fix all this, and to be sure of all dimensions before seamwelding and welding in of the cage.

The body was much worse than suspected, and took twice the work in hours than was anticipated.

Doors, bonnet and trunklid are glasfiber, all the windows except the windshield will be lexan.
Expected weight of the car will be around 825 kg.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nice cage! The only reason I can think to extend the tubes through the trunk is to provide additional protection for the fuel cell. I was a little surprised to not see the rear suspension upper link tied into the cage somehow. Does yours use the original trunion mounts? I guess I'm assuming you have a panhard set up.

Erik

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the original set-up, with very stif rubbers/polyurethane. no panhard or wattts, but this will come someday. First I want to get a good feeling of the car. My racingexperience so far has been with a Alfetta GTV (1050kg and 145 HP), this one will be around 900kg with driver and 180HP; and that is quite another car. And I have not seen circuits for about 7 years...
It all depends on the competition.

Here In Holland most 105`s run with coil-overs and rose-joints in the back axle, but I will develop the car in the running.

In my view the rear axle on a 105 GT does not benefit much from a cage to the rear pic-up points. The cage will get to heavy and complicated, and because the car is shorter than a Giulia it has more longitudinal strength, I think (and the builder of this cage agrees. And he is one of the top cage builders in Holland).
Besides that has this body been seam welded extensively, and on specific places extra thick sheet metal has been added, also around the rear pic-ups.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I'm sure the car will be a lot of fun! Good luck. When you do start developing the car further, I would consider a Panhard as one of the first steps. It will lower the roll center and have a very noticeable improvement on lap times. It may be the best modification you can make in terms of cost versus lap times.

Erik

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
finally some progress to mention. Much time went in figuring out the way to fix the lexan sidewindows in the polyester doors in a nice way (its easy to put some screws in from the outside, but ugly...)

And the dash took some time. The aluminium dash-panels will be painted in black (wrinkle-paint).

the gearbox is ready, we were waiting for the parts for the limited slip diff, arrived last week. And the engine will be put together after cleaning.

Now its almost a mecano-kit. So we can test it early spring!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts