Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well as an (ahem!) unusual front end treatement, my '80 spider now has a new (blue!) top.
It is a pretty good quality top and was sourced from e-bay for the princly sum of $45! Since the interior has to be re-done anyway I went with it, and now the new interior will be in a blue tweed fabric with grey vinyl piping and trim.
Still a bit to do on it as I have not hooked up/tensioned the cables and need to tighten up the side clamps on the top 'bottom' but I wanted to let it relax a bit with a few Day/Night cycles to get the folds out before doing this and riveting the back window seal areas.
The aluminum tube that parallells the radio antenna by the garage door runner is the soon to be rear bumper, it will be black anodized then a small area machined and engraved with a small "Spider Veloce" in script on the left side.

Many thanks to all on this board who have made this unusual and fun project possible thru your advice, parts and general help!!

Cheers!
Dave G.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Your car is really coming along!

Somebody on the board is selling a blue boot to cover the top when it's down - maybe in the Parts For Sale Forum...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Slash, let me know who has the blue boot cover if you can, I can't find it in the "for sale" section. I would be very interested!

TIA
Dave G.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Dave,
Your Spider's top and color combination look really nice. It's a pleasure to see a Spider looking like yours does. Good luck with the rest of the upgrades, and I'll be looking forward to your pictures.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Color Change

Hi
Recently purchased my first Alfa a 1990 SpiderVolace. 50,000 miles and after a full check out it's running great and I am loving it. Unfortunately the car must have been stored under a cheap cover and spent a lot of time outdoors. The clear coat is damaged and in some cases gone. The truck has some checking in the base coat. I think the color is original, medium metallic blue.
Thinking about a repaint and changing the color. I like doing club events with my cars and was wondering about color selection. My wife suggested yellow, I kind of like the 2006 Legend Lime Green from the Ford Mustang. Will I take a pile of c__p for changing to a non-Alfa color?

Nice to meet you all
Ray (59Mogguy) (My first classic was and still is a Morgan)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Enrique, This one has been brought back from a "near death" (crusher) experience. Its saving grace was a rust free body and being fairly complete. Of course I love Alfas, but my initial crush was on the GTVs, but when it became possible to save this old Spider at a good price I could not resist!
Getting rid of the Mono-thingie Spica system made it easy to get the induction right (earlier Spica) and the replacement of the usual wear items has turned it into a pleasure to drive again! Good power, light,balanced and responsive steering-great brakes. Typical Alfa.
Much of how it is turning out is the result of the "absolute minimum" cost model I have used on the car (I could tell you what I have in this project, but then I would have to ... well you know).
Heh! Now for the fun stuff!! I ain't looking for 135, but I intend to tighten things up and minimize the 'cowl shake' first chance I get. Got a box of flat slide Mikunis that ain't busy right now too.

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Thanks Enrique, This one has been brought back from a "near death" (crusher) experience. Its saving grace was a rust free body and being fairly complete. Of course I love Alfas, but my initial crush was on the GTVs, but when it became possible to save this old Spider at a good price I could not resist!
Getting rid of the Mono-thingie Spica system made it easy to get the induction right (earlier Spica) and the replacement of the usual wear items has turned it into a pleasure to drive again! Good power, light,balanced and responsive steering-great brakes. Typical Alfa.
Much of how it is turning out is the result of the "absolute minimum" cost model I have used on the car (I could tell you what I have in this project, but then I would have to ... well you know).
Heh! Now for the fun stuff!! I ain't looking for 135, but I intend to tighten things up and minimize the 'cowl shake' first chance I get. Got a box of flat slide Mikunis that ain't busy right now too.

Cheers!
Dave G.
Dave,

That's a great story!

I can certainly understand the financial aspect of putting a car back together, and maintaining it. For years I was disappointed with how quickly some parts wear, and the cost of keeping things in good shape, and so I started looking for better quality and alternatives. Back then, there weren't much better choices or much focus on choices, but we have them today. Slowly, and with much caution, I moved over to performance springs (I would highly recommend Centerline's), a chassis stiffener, and all polyurethane bushings (including motor mounts). The goal was two-fold: to improve over the OEM products, and use components that would last the life of the car, so as to cut back on the maintenance expenses. I have to say that I have been pleased beyond expectations. The cowl shake is gone and the cars absorb the bumps like a luxury Mercedes. (And I use OEM shocks on them.) You may want to look into this...

Best regards,

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, a chassis stiffener is what I have in mind, with a bit of a twist. I am thinking of an X type like the Corvette used in the late 80's C4 convertible (and ZR1 in the early '90s). As far as bushings go I will be trying machined Glass/graphite filled PTFE (DuPont trade named Teflon) to replace some of the rear/front bushings. As it happens I have the facilities to do this sort of thing and since I am "retired" now I will proto this and see how it works. The bushings are no 'blue sky' project since I have been running them in a few applications (Honda CBX swing arm -Volvo 1800S/122 Wagon Rear bushings) with good results for about a year now with no noticable wear.

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dave,

I found the boot thread (forum search, term "blue"), but it was a Look-At-My-Ebay-Auction announcement.

Yes, it sold.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bummer, but there will be one down the road no doubt. Thanks for looking anyway Slash!

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi
Recently purchased my first Alfa a 1990 SpiderVolace. 50,000 miles and after a full check out it's running great and I am loving it. Unfortunately the car must have been stored under a cheap cover and spent a lot of time outdoors. The clear coat is damaged and in some cases gone. The truck has some checking in the base coat. I think the color is original, medium metallic blue.
Thinking about a repaint and changing the color. I like doing club events with my cars and was wondering about color selection. My wife suggested yellow, I kind of like the 2006 Legend Lime Green from the Ford Mustang. Will I take a pile of c__p for changing to a non-Alfa color?

Nice to meet you all
Ray (59Mogguy) (My first classic was and still is a Morgan)
It’s a shame that the original paint was aloud to go. Some people will give you a hard time about a non standard color. But as long as you like it, go for it. Me I have that rare red color.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those interested in this little saga, here is a shot of the new back bumper on my 80. A bit of a "mid 70s Fiat" look but there is only so much you can do with tubing! It is, of course far lighter than the old units, in fact the whole thing weighs about the same (or possibly a bit less) as just the 'shocks' for the 5MPH units!

Cheers!
Dave G.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like the tube rear bumper... Might have to follow your lead with that one. Do anything to the front bumper? I'd really like to lighten up the front end of the car a bit and that battering ram of a bumper Alfa stuck on there doesn't help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts