Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am at the end (hopefully) of restoring my 86 Alfa Spider Quad. What started as freshening the interior became a full up refit when rust was found under carpet. Now, I'm debugging! Just got the car back from stereo shop and the power windows quit. I thought it was the relay and replaced it, only to find there was corrosion on fuse 8. But, guess what, now it won't start. I turn the key and all the lights and buzzers come on (which didn't before due to fuse 8...). BUT, the key turns and I hear a noise under the hood but the car just doesn't start. SO...what could I have messed up in the area of the fuse box to keep the car from starting?
All thoughts welcome!
Ralph

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
How is the battery? If not fully charged the starter will 'click' as the solenoid is activated but the inadequate amperage won't allow the starter motor to turn. Also check all connections in the battery to starter circuit - including/especially the ground connections. And make sure the ground strap between the bell housing & transmission tunnel is present & has a good connection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should mention the battery. I thought of that. The car had a year old sealed gel battery when the refit started. It failed and was replaced under warranty. BUT, the upholstery shop guy who worked on the wiring, did something so that the Borg clock is on even with the car off. Do you think that could draw the battery down enough to prevent a start?
Wondering,
Ralph

·
Registered
549 Posts
It sounds like it needs a starter relay. These were the symptoms I was getting before I added one. All electrics on, no starter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
Thanks for the help! I jumped it and it started! So...it goes on a battery maintainer until the shop can re-rewire the Borg clock!
Have a great weekend,
Ralph

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
The battery may be fine. The upholstery shop may have left the door open for a long time while they were working on the car. That could have worn down the battery (from the courtesy light being left on).

Does your car have the footwell courtesy lights? The lens cover also functions as a switch. The switch has three positions - automatic (with the door switch), always off & always on. They can get kicked to always on & that'll run down the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Eric,
Thanks for getting back to me. Part of the interior restoration was servicing the foot well lights. It's a good suggestion, I'll check to see they are off.
Thanks,
Ralph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts