Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,556 Posts
I was going to fix those waves in the rear lower skirt of my 91S years ago, but have never gotten to it, cuz I would have to end up painting all of the fairing to match.

I remember when Lino told me about how he saw a new 91S in a car show, and that car also had the waves. He couldn't believe it. The factory never quite got that detail squared away on the S model in general, just putting out the car as is, for all to see. A little embarrassing I thought, as compared to the workmanship in an Audi or BMW. Of course, they cost more, but still, jeez, they could have done a better job on that anyway.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Rear Bumper

Got the rear bumper back on the car today. Before I did that I removed the rear spoiler; the clearcoat on the trunk lid has crapped out, so I will have to address that. The roof and hood are still good.

I am about half way done with repainting the gray trim. I will remove the front bumper to paint that.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Rear Xmember

Now that A/C weather is over, I brought the 164 back into the garage the other day. I plan to finish the rear suspension resto and paintwork this fall/winter.

Removed this today. What a mess! Car ran fine, so it just shows that the rear wheels on a front driver pretty much just keep the back of the car from dragging on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I straightened 3 of the lateral links, and I am replacing the fourth.
I found 4 or 5 separate problems with the rear height sensing mechanism; any one of these was sufficient to keep the mechanism from functioning. I am in the process of repairing the mechanism.
I took the center and rear part of the exhaust system off the car and painted with high temp paint to deal with the surface rust. I had already done the front part of the system when I did the engine compartment work.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I got the car back on the road today. While I was working on the rear suspension, I also did a mod to the hydraulic tensioner; if that tests out, I will report on that in the future.

Now I just have to finish up the paintwork, and then I am done.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Rear Xmember... What a mess! ... the rear wheels on a front driver pretty much just keep the back of the car from dragging on the ground.
Nice work, Tom! Flat bed tow truck drivers like to attach their tie down straps to those thin metal links and bend them too, rather than removing the little cover for the tie down hook in the rear bumper. It would probably be better if they used nylon web straps on the rear tires.

Road mud and dirt gets trapped by the fuel filler hose in the right rear fender well and causes corrosion, as you saw, when it builds up.
Mark

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Have not done anything with the paintwork yet; been driving it to get some good use out of the heated seats.
Earlier, while I had the plastic covers off to do the tensioner, I tightened up a bunch of water hose clamps; some tiny weeping at several spots, but not enough to make it to the ground. Also had to tighten up the threaded stud that captures the oil cooler (when I did an oil/filter change); there was a small oil leak there, which is now fixed.
The reworked hydraulic tensioner is staying good so far.
I had noticed that I had a very small oil leak inside the bellhousing, which I assumed was from the rear main seal (I have never had the tranny separated from the engine). My Alfetta GT had developed a medium oil leak from the rear main seal, but I was not about to pull the engine, since I had just had the head redone a couple of years ago. So I decided to try Blue Devil main seal sealer juice on the Alfetta. That worked so well that I decided to try that on the 164 as well. So far the bottom of the 164 bellhousing has stayed dry.
So far this winter, no liquids are making it to the ground, which is nice.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts