Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Cleaning

The ABS pump mounting bracket looked OK while it was still on the car.

With some warm weather, I had a chance to give a bunch of parts a first cleaning after being pulled. Many of these parts will be soda blasted next.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Finally Finished Cleaning

It took me a really long time to clean up the engine compartment. Maybe I should have steam cleaned it to save some time (but I haven't steam cleaned anything before). When I first got the car 2 years ago, I used about 4 cans of engine cleaner in the engine compartment. Then right before I brought the car into the garage to begin front end disassembly, I pulled the front wheels and inner fender liners and sprayed with another 4 cans of engine cleaner.

After disassembly, first I scraped off the really thick stuff with a putty knife. Then I sprayed parts cleaner on small areas of the engine and tranny and scrubbed with a brush (large PITA). Then I put a kiddie pool under the front end of the car and hit the whole front end with engine cleaner and hosed off with water. Dragged the full kiddie pool out and dumped the water. Then I hit some stubborn areas with parts cleaner again. Then I hit the engine/trans with engine cleaner, did some more scrubbing, and rinsed off with water (and emptied the pool again). Then I got after the few remaining dirty areas with parts cleaner and scrubbing, and then a final application of engine cleaner and hosed it off the last time. So the front end is clean now. The total volume of crud that came off the engine/trans was pretty amazing.

Then pulled off the valve covers. In the process of painting a bunch of parts.

Silver high temperature paint on the pipes and manifolds is nice.

Scrubbed the chrome intake runners with Scotchbrite and chrome cleaner; that got rid of almost all of the rust spots. I tried the trick of rubbing the few remaining spots with aluminum foil and vinegar; this is somewhat technique sensitive, but works amazingly well.

While I was doing all of this cleaning, I did go pick up a GTV6 that I purchased, and I did install a SPICA pump on my Alfetta that finally came back from Ingram's after 8 months. So there is that.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Wipers

After 6 months of disassembly and cleaning I finally put something back on the car.

Had removed the entire wiper assembly and totally disassembled it. Cleaned up some corrosion and removed all of the old grease. Made some little tweaks to reduce friction in the linkage, regreased, and reassembled. The linkage is much freer now. Also used some shims to let the mechanism sit about .010" lower in the cowl, and to change the angle so that there is more even wiper blade pressure throughout the blade travel.

Currently working on rebuilding the starter. Had to replace the bronze bushings on both ends. Found a brush holder assembly on eBay for cheap, so got that; looks good. Sanded the commutator. I did not realize that the Bosch 0 001 108 048 starter is a gear reduction starter until I opened it up. Expect to have the starter done in a couple of days.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Progress

Rebuilt starter works good. No issues with reconverting the engine to a hydraulic belt tensioner. Turned the engine over on the starter a couple of weeks ago; first time the engine had spun except by hand since Thanksgiving.

The fuel rails were pretty rusty; working on those now.

Added a motorized heater control valve. Same one as discussed on another thread. No issues.

Expect to run the engine within a week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Very good.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I love checking in on this one. Great job.

After post 62, I'm never getting rid of our kiddie pool. Handling the toxic mess is a bridge I’ll cross when necessary :grin2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Second Phase Complete

Got the car mostly together this past week and was able to take it in for inspection, so I could get a new license tag sticker.

While I had the fuel rails and injectors off, I filled up the rails with gas, applied 25 PSI of air pressure, and activated the injectors one at a time with a 6 volt power source. The spray pattern of 2 of the 6 injectors wasn't the greatest. So I replaced the gas with straight Techron, and repeated the above process. Then I replaced the Techron with gas and repeated again; now 5 of the 6 had pretty spray patterns and the 6th was much better than it had been, but not perfect. Good enough.

The car now starts much better than before (the rebuilt starter spins better) and the idle is smoother (probably mostly due to the cleaned injectors).

I had done so much cleaning and painting that it took a while to burn off the solvents; very stinky.

Still need to play with the cruise control and adjust if necessary.

Obtained an Autometer hose sensor adapter, which I modified to provide for a real coolant drain and a heater hose return (like on the B/L cars). This is spliced into the drivers side lower radiator hose. Now the heater return and the oil cooler return are separate. I also got rid of the steering return spring mechanism (it had fallen apart internally and was nonfunctional); had to fabricate a special steering boot from a new standard rack boot and the old S rack boot. So now I have more room around the oil filter.

I didn’t take pictures of the reassembly process, as Steve has all of that well documented. This was my first Alfa V6 timing belt change; I followed Steve’s procedure. When I got everything just right, the belt slid on the top of the front cam pulley without any forcing. I would emphasize 2 things about this process. First, the hydraulic tensioner must be rotated ALL the way clockwise; 80% of the way is not enough (it is difficult to get it fully rotated as you are working against the force of the compression spring). Second, you must get ALL of the belt slack to be only between the 2 cam pulleys. To accomplish this, I got half of the width of the belt on the rear cam pulley, and the belt on several cogs on the front of the front cam pulley. Now the timing of everything is fully set. Then I rotated the crank pulley about a degree clockwise. This tightens the belt between the crank pulley and the front cam pulley. Then I rotated the rear cam pulley about a degree clockwise; this moves slack from between the crank pulley and the rear cam pulley to between the rear cam pulley and the front cam pulley. Finally I rotated the front cam pulley about half a degree CCW. Now all of the belt slack is at the top, and the belt easily slides onto the top part of the front cam pulley, and I can push the belt the rest of the way onto both cam pulleys.

I plan on driving the car for a month or two, and then start the next phase (front and rear suspension and brakes) of the restoration in the fall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
"So I replaced the gas with straight Techron, and repeated the above process. Then I replaced the Techron with gas and repeated again; now 5 of the 6 had pretty spray patterns and the 6th was much better than it had been, but not perfect. Good enough"

Remember, with all of these types of additives, it takes time for them to work properly. I would guess at least several tank fillings and driving. Using something such as Techron once in a while, every few fillings, should keep injectors pretty clean.

The engine bay, and the engine itself, which looks pretty darn nicely decorated, is very clean. Nice to see. So many are just filthy.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Impressive!! ciao, chris

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Starting Next Phase

I brought the car into the big garage today to start the restoration of the front suspension and brakes. I will do the rear after I finish the front and have a chance to drive the car for a while.

I have been driving the car this summer; the only issue in the engine compartment is that the speedo is still working intermittently as it was before. I will work on that while I am doing the front suspension.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
LF Corner

I pulled everything off of the LF corner and gave the parts a first cleaning. Plenty of surface rust. Time for attention before the surface rust becomes rust thru. The struts are not the original S struts. Will disassemble the strut next. I plan to paint the calipers red.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Tom. Nice writeups and images. 2 questions: Were any of the nuts for the exhaust manifold frozen or did they come off easily? What size is the coolant line adapter? I am hoping to clean up my rad and cooling system this winter and want to adapt a proper fill and drain connector or maybe just a drain one for ease of service. I hate getting coolant on my garage floor. The starter refurb may follow if all else goes well.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The fasteners holding the manifold onto the heads came off easily. The nuts holding the downpipes onto the manifold studs were very rusty and looked very bad. I was worried about breaking the studs in the manifolds, so I was extremely careful and took about a week to remove the nuts. Sprayed with PB Blaster for several days. Loosened the nuts a fraction of a turn, retightened a smaller fraction of a turn, sprayed with Blaster again, went to bed. Did this several times. Once I had the nuts about 3/4 of a turn or so loosened, I just took them all the way off. I got them all off OK. The 6 nuts holding the downpipes onto the cat were hopeless and all had to be cut off.

The adapter for the coolant drain is 1 1/2 inch diameter. Mine is on the drivers side, but there is actually more room in the hose on the passenger side.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
After Painting

Got the rusty suspension and brake parts dealt with. Since you can get a new lower control arm complete with both bushings and ball joint for a Benjy, I went that way. Will reassemble all this over the next week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
You had mentioned something back a ways about changing or eliminating the steering rack return spring (some call it a damper) inside the big rhs rack boot for the S. My 91S steering has gotten kind of light lately, and it acts like the return spring is maybe not hooked up (haven't had a chance to look yet). Was that spring assy difficult to access without pulling the rack, or did I miss something and you pulled the rack?

Did the nut back off the spring retainer inside, or what was the problem?

61 - 80 of 104 Posts