Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
'Thanks for your participation.' - Gold Star in the mail. You did not guess my selected project name, but 'Alfenstein/Steiny' is in the running should I have some sort of re-consideration of names....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Instrumentation:

One of my goals in this project is a little reworking of both the instrumentation and center console of the car. While Alfavic (from down under) showed one direction, with the updated individual gauges he put in his fly yellow GTV6 3.2L (and beautifully done/executed btw!) I have decided on a slightly different path in upgrading the instrumentation. Since I'm doing a little more 'radical' changes inside and out, I decided to break away from that 3 gauge design ethos and install something more integrated, slightly more modern.

This instrument cluster fits across the expanse of the current three individual main gauges. With this dash instrumentation encompassing so many of the needed gauges... it also frees up space in the top center console. And just like Alfavic, I'll have a big screened A/V piece there in its place, but I'm also planning for a much more customized center console for below. More to come on that in the future. BTW, my instrument bezel is flat black, not the chrome displayed here.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
So this is going to be a road car?

Pete

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
The car will be registered for street use.

This is going to be a dual-purpose car. It won't meet the rules for any sanctioning bodies to participate in racing series, but it will be more than capable of participating in 3rd party lapping days, time trial events with the Alfa Romeo clubs and other like orgs.

The car will have carpeting and some sound&heat bearers to make it more hospitable as a DD, but at the same time some sort of partial/full roll cage as well. That said, I'm hoping to implement power steering (an old Verde Bosch PS rack being re-furbished, plus the necessary custom interface link for the GTV6 to Milano steering column/rack connection is in my possession). Also this car will have modernized/upgraded air conditioning plus a descent stereo system, possible GPS/Nav as well. So this car will be street-able, and should be 'comfortable to a degree' in doing that. Sure, very taunt ride, increased levels of NVH, but nothing overwhelming from a car that was designed in the 70's...

But make no mistake, with a 300hp+ engine, aluminum radiator with dual fans, oil cooler, custom ECU/FI programming, and coilovers and big brake kit all around, plus a sturdy driveline/TA with LSD and aftermarket Recaros that will accept 6pt harnesses ... the car will be very track capable as well.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Renaldo

You could just call it GTV6 3,5 SUPER.

No need to overplay the name, people will find out soon enough that that car is a special one!

G.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Short of strapping your own surname to it, because it is your car and exclusively so (but would seem a bit pompous unless you were building them for the world to buy), I'm pretty sure that any additional name added to an Italian car must simply be an Italian word asociated with performance or Italian motoring pedigree, while maintaining the original name to a large degree.

GTV6 Stadale
GTV6 Scuderia
GTV6 Super Veloce or just SV
GTV6 Tropheo
GTV6-R (RS just sounds too Porsche-ee.)

Or maybe:
GTA-6 Stradale
GTA-6 Scuderia
GTA-6 Tropheo

Or the natural choice:
GTA-6 Steiny......................... :grin2:

That sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Thanks Gabor and Duk for your suggestions.

Extra Gold Stars to Duk for all the additional suggestions.

I like several of the ideas, including the GTV6 3.5 Super and the GTV6 SV (Super Veloce! - After all, the last year (or two?) in USA the 4 cylinder fastbacks were marketed as 'Sprint Veloce's) Also the GTA-6 variants are worthy to ponder...

Steiny still hangin' in there I see... lol.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My suggestion is based on a project i worked on named Alfetta GTV8 2,6 Persons familiar with Alfa designations would be able to recognize what that was! :) Actually people crawled under the car to verify what that was.

G.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I want to thank Gabor K, Duk, and Marty Moose for their naming suggestions/livening up this thread.

Some great name suggestions to give me pause, but....

I really like the direction posters suggested (even Steiny! - Peoples' Choice Award [lol]) but I had a specific direction in mind as well... and nothing proffered was enough to dissuade me from my original intent.

Like I said... initially I was focused on the big bore engine (Mr. Busso) but this car will be the 'sum of all its parts,' with special attention given to the Chevy bits - that's truly the 'ground breaking part' of this build, right? But how to promote/differentiate that 'SUM?' Alfa Romeo + Chevy if we get down to it.

While we all concentrated on the V6 aspects of this car (GTV6 - XXX), what is the root/beginnings of this transaxle series... starting with the 4 cylinder cars? .... ALFETTA.... and then I'm adding C5 parts (Corvette) to the mix. And definitely I want to bring attention to those Chevy bits, so...

Lessee... Alfetta + Corvette .... equals....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Washington State Dept of Licensing has granted the custom plate, so I'll have ALVETTA on the a$$-end of the car.

While WA ST is one of those pesky states that requires a front plate - they are unseemly - I hope to just go with a euro styled front plate... 'spirit of the law vs. letter of the law.' I did this with my 1995 164LS some years ago (V6 ARIA), and have yet to be pulled over & ticketed for this 'interpretation of the WA St front plate requirements.' YMMV

And there might just be an 'Alvetta' scripted badge ^^^ (ala the original) that graces the passenger dash area of my car...

Front Euro-styled plate:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Well, the Alfetta badge had completely disappeared (on 2L and 2,5L) when the new model appeared in 1981, so if you will not go retro and refer to the 2L model, just GTV6 would be Alfa-correct. How about GTV6 3,5 C5 Super? Then later GTV6 3,5 biturbo C5 Super

GTV6 3,5 Corvetta ! :)

G.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
"Corvetta" does sound enticing, but gives too much credence to the Chevy part of the equation. With all the mods, this is still, at heart, an Alfa Romeo car. And as such, the name should first elicit Alfa, and then Chevy.

No doubt 'Alfetta' gets lost in subsequent naming conventions (even here in the US its gone by 1978) but it is still a fundamental 'touch stone' for all subsequent variants of the transaxle based cars.

I feel very good incorporating Alfetta with the additional (and crazy a$$!) upgrades I plan for this car. In fact (spoiler alert!), the car will have a flat 'Alfetta' hood - NO GTV6 power bulge!
I might also go with Alfetta rear lights as well! Other Alfetta styling queues?... we'll see.

·
Registered
11,676 Posts
Okay now the name is sorted, can we get back to the interesting stuff? ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Okay now the name is sorted, can we get back to the interesting stuff? ;)

Pete
Flux Capacitor Upgrades:

According to Doc Brown and Marty....

More to come in early 2018.... Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to All...!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Looks nice, but still a bit undecided whether I'll retain bumpers or not. I've also narrowed the Corvette IRS width by about 6" but I'll still have a bit of width to contend with, so I'll have some fender flares/body extension there in the back.

Not a lot of progress to report at the moment... a hole has been cut in the floor there in the back (as the C5 transaxle has more height than the OEM.)

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There has been some ongoing delays in my project, I readily admit. You can all see that by the absence of relevant posts. Not so much by technical challenges but rather than my cash flow.

I had a change in employment, plus some scheduling nuances with Group2 which has prevented some additional progress reports.

I hope to have the car ready for the 2020 convention (location soon to be announced) and pertinent updates well before then. Thank you for your patience in this unique 'one off.'

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts