Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, it's official, I'm psychotic.
Been thinking of buying a Milano for a while now, and a nice one happened to come up locally. How could one resist? The only problem is it's red. :)

Ahhh . . . another Alfa experience . . . can't wait. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your opinion of this T-belt . . .

I've always been a bit hesitant to own the V6 due to all of the horror stories told on this BB with regard to belt breakage, skipping, etc. Well, now I own one. The common word is, if you don't know it's history, replace it. Well, winter approaches and time really doesn't allow for it before the Milano goes straight to storage.

The options seem to be:

1) Tow it directly to storage. However I would still be tempted to start it to drive it onto and off of the trailer.

2) I have a new belt in hand, so just replace the belt with the thought of doing the full job next spring. Not sure how practical it is to reuse the tensioner, etc., even for the short term.

3) Run the belt as is till next spring, figuring it has another 2-5Kmiles of safe life left.

It has about 127Kmiles on it currently. A receipt from the owner before last has the full Monte(belt, detensioner, water pump, hoses, etc.) being done in 2002 at 109K. The previous owner thought that he had the belt replaced on his watch, but doesn't remember exactly when. He recollection does not give one great confidence.
Looking at it though, it seems pretty fresh, no cracking, for the most part dry, though the covers were pretty caked on the outside, and some on the inside of the left.

Please give a look and any opinion you have on the belt, and the source of the oil leak (gunk).

As always, deeply appreciated.

Thanks.
Gerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the covers . . .

Quite gunky. It that the Blob coming from the hole near the detensioner? Where is Steve McQueen when you need him?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats! Is that a Verde? I just got one myself, in the graphite gray…but I wanted red!
Thanks!

How funny! Anthracite was on my preferred colour list.
Want to swap? :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd definitely consider if you were a little closer by! Mine has a few more miles than yours but is in reasonably good condition. It just needs minor things for the moment (transaxle mounts, window motor/regulator, new windshield) but I am going to drive it in winter as long as there is no salt on the roads.

·
Registered
547 Posts
As far as timing belt - honestly I'd play it safe and just replace it. If that snaps while the engine is running it's big, big trouble. And yes it does make me wish Alfa made these with a timing chain instead. Oh well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Do the belt and tensioner. I just had mine done. Replace the weeping crank seal while you are in there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My humble opinion is that belt looks like it's in good shape, the tensioner does too.

However, you already have the timing covers off, so it's not much more work to go ahead and at least swap the belt. You could easily do it in one morning and be driving before brunch!

Make sure your line up your timing marks. I often mark the old belt and count teeth to be sure.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I'm with Zaxxon - if you're not going to drive it this winter, just park it and do the belt in the spring. It's an easy job and requires no special tools. That belt looks very good (no oil, teeth nice n' sharp, etc.). Those covers are actually quite clean as far as those things go. Run them in the dishwasher when your wife isn't around.

You have a mechanical detensioner which means it was converted from the leaky hydraulic units. I prefer the mechanical units (unlike many folks it seems) on a stock or near stock engine on the street (99.9% driving) as it just plain works if you install it properly... and it won't leak oil. I'll spare you the banter on this that and the other on the various (de)tensioners.

Or you could plan on doing a more major service in the spring that would yield 30,000 miles of worry free service potential (see how I worded that?) and the price difference would only be about $150 compared to basic "belt" change. That'd be timing belt, water pump, t-stat hoses and gaskets, rad hoses, clamps, fuel lines in the engine bay (looks like your fuel return line is original which means it's probably soft - squeeze it and tell me I'm wrong). Assess your thermostat as that's the time to replace it. They commonly get weak and present the problem of prolonged warm-up time.

Oh, also congrats. And also, drive it. And also, drive it more than you think you should. And also, welcome to V6 - it's a tough one to shake once you've taken a drive.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And the hits keep coming . . .

Time waits for no man . . . and today was the day to put the Milano in storage. Decided to leave the belt for now, so reinstalled cam/belt covers, and started her up. Sounded fine. Had noticed previously the clutch pedal wasn't real strong, and now it seemed weaker . . . and weaker on every pump. Dang, the scheduled time to depart was near. Checked and found the reservoir (clutch side) empty. Figuring this was consistent and assuming (hoping) it was just a slow slave cylinder leak due to inactivity (had similar cause/effect on the Alfetta), more DOT3 was added, and back end lifted, in anticipation of attacking the slave bleeder screw. Looking forward, disheartened to see a big puddle. Yep, all that DOT3 ran right out of the master, down the firewall (isnt' it lovely what it does to the paint?), and onto the floor. Closer examination found the plastic (nylon?) 90 degree fitting between reservoir hose and master had broke in two. Nice. I wasn't even messing(touching) in this area so it is a mystery on why it failed. Went to a few part stores. They were courteous anyway. Found this fitting at my work. Close . . . but would hope for something closer.

Any ideas?
It might be found in the master cylinder rebuild kits. Centerline has theirs on backorder.
Probably will need to spend the $80 on a new master.
Any other ideas?

On another note, the A/C belt deal on the Milano is pretty nuts IMO. Has anyone tried a wee bit longer belt? Another 1/2" in length would make removal almost enjoyable and there seems to be enough travel on the idler pulley adjustment slot. The way it was design, it is a big pain to replace and it just doesn't seem to need be.

Having some fun now. :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts