Good to hear you got your SZ. Mine is away for the winter up here on Canada

Regards,
Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Good to hear you got your SZ. Mine is away for the winter up here on Canada
Yup, finally got one. Thanks for all the advice and meeting up so we could check out a "real SZ" in the flesh. We knew we wanted an unmodified one after talking to you / driving yours.

Some years ago I posted a sales ad for a Trophy SZ which had been modified a lot even with CF body parts. The car was sold, but I got confirmation that they actually had made CF body parts to make the racer lighter. Also they made a lot more with that car. So really professional people. Never got their name
Thanks, Gabor. That's an interesting car for sure. I'll e-mail [email protected] to see if they'd entertain my CF bodywork questions. I'm sure they get these explarotary e-mails monthly 😁from internet tire-kickers (of whom I'm about to be!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some years ago I posted a sales ad for a Trophy SZ which had been modified a lot even with CF body parts. The car was sold, but I got confirmation that they actually had made CF body parts to make the racer lighter. Also they made a lot more with that car. So really professional people. Never got their name
Here a link to to my post 7 years ago:
Also a SZ race car on track, maybe the same?

Hello all, this is an ex SZ Trophy car, number 103. It was fully rebuilt in The Netherlands by AutoHeida a few years ago, including all new and much lighter bodywork (FRP I think, not carbon but never the less very much lighter than original). It also has a 3.2 24V GTA engine with double carbon intake plenum. It currently lives in Belgium and is owned by mr. Jacques Peirs of JAC cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup - should have been there. The Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California (AROSC) will be doing this again in 2020, and it will be their 50th anniversary. We hope we can drum up a few more rare cars like the SZ to come to the party. Laguna Seca is a pretty fun place to be in an Alfa Romeo.

I think I've seen a double-plenum conversion but it wasn't in a SZ.

Separate question; does anyone have pics of a SZ with carbon fiber panels (e.g. bonnet, doors, wings/fenders)?
Nizam, regarding your question for photo's of carbon fibre parts. In Japan are a number of companies that have replicated a large number of parts in carbon for the SZ (and RZ). Many of them are used for racing in special Alfa Romeo racing series. I have added some pictures. If you are interested, a company like scuderia oldtimer (www.s-oldtimer.com) makes a lot of these parts and even has their own racer. Now you asked for pictures, so here they are.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Much appreciate your info Robin! Dutch and Belgians were always big Alfa fans, so no surprise the technical level here!

Maybe Nizam dreams of a SZ racer with CF body parts and 3,8L 24V engine beside his road SZ. ? That would be something not many others have! :)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Thanks for the info Robin!

Actually, as most of you who have already experienced how heavy the bonnet/hood is, would immediately see the benefit of a lighter unit.

If there was less weight in the nose, I think my turn in would be a lot sharper (it's already pretty good) and going up the back straight of Laguna Seca would probably be more enjoyable since it's a steep uphill climb. That's my motivation.

Have any of you had issues with air getting under the bonnet and attempting to lift it open while driving at high speeds? (i.e. > 200km/h)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info Robin!

Actually, as most of you who have already experienced how heavy the bonnet/hood is, would immediately see the benefit of a lighter unit.

If there was less weight in the nose, I think my turn in would be a lot sharper (it's already pretty good) and going up the back straight of Laguna Seca would probably be more enjoyable since it's a steep uphill climb. That's my motivation.

Have any of you had issues with air getting under the bonnet and attempting to lift it open while driving at high speeds? (i.e. > 200km/h)
Hello Nizam, yes I think that most owners like me did not expect the bonnet to be as heavy as it is (from the top of my head some 29 kilogram) and a carbon or polyester bonnet saves a lot of weight where it matters when turning in.

Regarding your question on bonnet flex at high speeds, this is a known effect. Alfa Romeo / Zagato tried to improve it after the first 200+ something cars were built by making the bonnet more rigid against flexing (additional strengthening of the sides, these can be seen with the additional rubber V-shape seals) but it did not really solve it.
Maybe quick release bonnet catches help in this area as the bonnet is then secured on all 4 corners. At least I see many SZ's that are used for racing / track-days have them.

BTW: although the bonnet flexes at high speed which looks unsafe I have never heard of them becoming loose by themselves.

Enjoy your car.

Robin

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Here a quote from my previous link about the Dutch Upgrade Trophy racer: Some parts were polyester and some parts were CF.

What I learned about this car is that it was a factory Trophy car, which means that the roll cage was factory, but all the rest of the car was like other SZs.

When the owner took over this car 5 years ago he decided to make a real race car out of it, so the car was stripped of body panels and copy molds were made of polyester and some carbon fiber parts. So everything is much lighter than original. The mechanicals were also upgraded as the engine is a 3,2L GTA engine with Jenvey TB kit. The mechanicals were made by a racing friend of his and the engine can be taken out in 15 minutes!
I have the understanding that the body parts can be duplicated easily, but about the mechanical parts like the gear shift system I did not get a clear answer.

About present info that the SZ bonnet weighs as much as around 30kgs, its a bit disappointing that such avantgarde car like this had not a better solution than that.. Compared to a GTV6 racer with firberglass bonnet of 5-10kgs its a big drawback on the track.
Then wonder if a light CF bonnet on the SZ would flutter even more than the 30kg original?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
... its a big drawback on the track.
Weight is always the enemy. Moving weight around helps, too, BTW. I moved my 75's battery from the driver's front corner to the rear passenger (in the boot). That 20kg alone helped a great deal as it was so far forward.

Along with other "diet program" items, my 75 handles almost as good as the SZ is stock.

Then wonder if a light CF bonnet on the SZ would flutter even more than the 30kg original?
I assume it will flutter worse since it's the same design, and has less mass. Hood pins are a must, preferably on all four corners. Keeping the hinges will mean it has six mounting points, which will hopefully reduce flutter.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
By the way, which Alfa / Fiat / Maserati does the SZ share its fuel cap with? Mine was leaking fuel profusely out of the cap (especially on a counter-clockwise track). I had to resort to putting in an O-ring to substantially reduce (not eliminate) the leak. Obviously I don't want to keep using the fuel cap I have. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I have an idea! This cap is made up of 4 parts and maybe something is lost. Anyway the cap assembly without the keylock has part number 60590424 and actually some have it. So here you can show your interest:

Actually the cap looks very much that of the GTV6, but cannot say its exactly the same!

So good hunting!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just thought I’d check, anyone know where I could source an SZ ES30 original jack ...Proving really hard to find.... almost like a Unicorn....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
First thing you need to search is the part number, then its a bit easyer, but not guaranteed results. Here at least some help. Seems that that jack is also a FIAT part, possibly from a quite regular model? After FIAT took over Alfa also started to use FIAT part numbers. So, the jack part number is 60561132. So a russian site answered on that number for SZ but also that it is a FIAT part number. Its unclear if they have the Jack or not.
So I started too look at FIAT part number Jack and that is available but quite expensive. Also there is no photo to identify. So get a photo first before ordering if price is OK. Wagenheber means car Jack.

Good luck with your continued search!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
On a lark, I ordered an Alfa 33 gas cap. It also fits the 4-cyl Alfa 75s. It arrived today and it fits perfectly! Here's the link:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Just as I wrote, maybe you did not read.
Actually, I used the part number you posted, but wanted the keylock. I was still skeptical because I have several Alfa 75s -- but they aren't the 4-cyl models -- and the cap had a larger inner diameter.

Why would Alfa have different fuel caps for the same car (4-cyl vs 6-cyl models)?

Anyway, I have a brand new cap now. Thank you, Gabor!

261 - 276 of 276 Posts