Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A friend is considering importing an Alfa SZ to the US for sale.
He asked me to look into the potential market for them.
They are just now 25 years old. so they pass DOT now.
They are still vey expensive in Europe, so a good one would have to sell for $70-80Kusd.
What are your opinions of that possibility?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The looks of this car has been debated from start, so you like it or not, it was called the Monster..

Looking beyond that its an exclusive small series sports car made by Zagato, styled by the Alfa factory. Also it has the best roadholding and handling of all the Alfa transaxle cars. They made a simplified version of the 75 IMSA racer suspension.

Like the Montreal it could be a collectors car for people who can afford one!

GK

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think they look interesting and always thought they were cool, but I would spend 70 to 80 large on many other cars before buying an SZ. Actually I would not go over 20 ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
My dream car (so ugly it's attractive), with tan seats my favorite interior ever, but too much money for me unfortunately. Still, the Montreal comparison is probably a good one; they are rare enough that there will be people willing to spend whatever it takes I'd bet. It's not just a super GTV6, it's a collectible. Another take...Chris Harris suggests a drive in an SZ is a good substitute for drugs; by that measure $70/$80K seems like a good deal.

·
Push hard and live
9,124 Posts
When I was in Buenos Aires last year, a local car dealer had one advertised for around 80k in equivalent US dollars. I never got over to take a look at it, but the pictures were nice enough. We must assume this was their asking price, and given the turmoil in Argentina, I would bet they would gleefully entertain offers, to be paid in US dollars.

When we were there, the official exchange rate was about 6.8 pesos to the dollar. The unofficial rate was around 12 to 1. The unofficial rate recently was up around 14 to 1, and there's not an Argentian down there that isn't anxious to receive real US dollars.

I expect the car is still there for the adventurous buyer.

See this ad...

http://www.cocheantiguo.com/index.php/clasificados/9-coches-antiguos/2757-alfa-romeo-sz-srint-zagato-199

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
interesting how these have developed a sort of cult following. Personally I'd rather a Junior Z but I have friends with SZ's and they are of the sect :).

Nice to drive though, and unless you look under the covers you'd never know they are a 75 underneath.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
interesting how these have developed a sort of cult following. Personally I'd rather a Junior Z but I have friends with SZ's and they are of the sect :).

Nice to drive though, and unless you look under the covers you'd never know they are a 75 underneath.
Seriously! ;) You have a Milano with new body work. Keith Martin has always said, just because they didn't sell in large numbers when new does not make them collectible. Does anyone here think for $80,000 dollars you would have a better car than a 2001 Turbo Carrera AWD at $35,000? or for $15,000 a BMW M3 convertible is not a better car than a SZ? I have a very close friend who bought an 88 Ferrari TR with less than 30,000 miles on it for $37,000, it's worth close to $70,000 and his 87 Mondial is worth maybe $45,000. there is no way an SZ is anywhere near a Ferrari in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Well, if you measure everything you buy in Ferraris and BMWs, Alfa is not for you of course!

Prices in Europe for the SZ range from 43-65 t. USD + transport. If imported to US I think spare parts would be a concern as especially body parts are unique for this car. So probably the car would become a garage Queen!

Roadholding for the SZ is considered better than contemporary Ferrari V8s, however with 210Hp engine its a bit low on power. This has been corrected in some cases by installing 3,2GTA engines with around 300Hp. Makes the car much better of course! However in that case the car is not collectible any more. A different solution is boring up the 3L 12V engine to 3,5L. More power and original looks!

SZ sales offers:
Alfa Romeo Andere Angebote bei mobile.de

2004 Autodelta(GB) supercharger showcase, actually less expensive than the 3,5L conversion:

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/autodelta/sz_supercharged/1211.html

http://www.autodeltashop.com/index.php?cPath=34

GK.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
It really has to do with comparing dollars for me. When I buy a vehicle I ask myself what will drive better or serve as a better collectable for the same money.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You repeatedly seem to assert that M3s are an obvious choice over an older Alfa in the same price range. I've tried to convince myself to buy an E46 330 or M3 on several occasions over the years; the test drive reminds me of why I didn't bite the previous attempt. They feel heavy and too refined to me, at least compared to the transaxle Alfas. I also didn't want to think of what I'd have to pay when the VANOS needed repair, along with a myriad of other potentially-expensive pitfalls. Owned a 996 911 once. Boring at any speed that won't get you thrown in jail. Owned a Cayman S too. Preternatural handling but engine sounded like an exotic vacuum cleaner; you have to completely flog it to get a visceral growl out of it. I also went back to Alfa Spiders after having owned an S2000 and a Boxster. Just like Alfas over the alternatives and I would easily take an SZ over those other cars you mentioned. The engine, the handling, the look. It's no more just a Milano than a Cayman S is just a base Boxster, obviously. I have a friend who bought a 2012 911. Couldn't care less though I love Porsche; it's just, who cares; $100K worth of who cares (I think he even admires it more than enjoys it). If he got an SZ though, now that would be something worth noticing, and more fun for 95% of any driving a regular person might do on an American road.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My choice, your choice, M3 or SZ, buy what you want. For $70,000 or $80,000 I would not buy an SZ. I have owned many other marques than what I have posted here, but I won't list them in an attempt to qualify my statement. I love my Alfa's but for the money I would never buy an SZ. I hope who ever wants to spend that kind of money on one enjoys it to death. I hope you buy one and enjoy it to death. We don't agree and that's OK, and as you say "Who Cares" so have a grand morning and great month :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We road tripped to the 89 or 90 Chicago auto show to see the unveiling of the Diablo. Alfa or Zagato had an SZ there as well. Looked like a lunar lander then (even compared to the Diablo). Memory of it on the stand is still clear in my mind - many memories of that era aren't. :)

So yes - If I had 100 large with no other reason, I would consider buying an SZ

·
Push hard and live
9,124 Posts
If history is any teacher, the Zagato cars will decline in value for a while, then someone, or several, will realize there weren't very many of them and start bidding up the prices just because they are rare.

Name any Alfa over 50 years old with a production run of less than 200 (or even 1,000) that hasn't enjoyed an impressive gain in value.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I think a well built GTV6 or Milano will give the same satisfaction behind the wheel at a fraction of the cost as it is essentially the same DNA. To the educated car buyer and the casual Alfista, this is obvious. Those going after the SZ and paying the tag are more likely to be in the collector camp it seems.

I haven't driven an SZ yet but have driven many sorted transaxle V6 cars - it's a comparison I'm eager to engage in. Of course details make the difference between good and great - the SZ was supposed to be the final say for that chassis... I could care less about the coil-over setup on the SZ, the brakes, etc. - if I could carry over one thing to the GTV6 or Milano it would be the improved rigidity of the body structure! The GTV6 and Milano are so soft out of the box.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah, I would think that someone importing one now and looking for $60 to $70K would have a pretty difficult time recovering their money. Difficult to imagine an SZ going above $50K over here until they get caught up in the collector market, but that might take awhile.

On the other hand, I would have no problem paying $45K for a good SZ if the family budget allowed. Attractive alternatives like the 4C or Cayman S would still have a good amount of depreciation in them at that price (granting an assumption re the 4C). Regardless, there's not a car for any price I'd rather have. I like handling and a sweet-sounding naturally-aspirated engine, I wouldn't know what to do with more HP without going to a track.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts