Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be interesting to see how this goes, any comments on its authenticity?

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
any comments on its authenticity?
Bill Noon is a well-known, well-respected vintage car dealer here in Southern California. I doubt he would mis-represent a car like this, particularly on so public a forum as BaT.

·
Administrator
4,159 Posts
It's an original Lightweight 1493E*04768 with Bertone Number 77596 & engine 1315*30666 (the motor of the Beast). Been on my Lightweight Register for quite a while now.

Was found in Mexico quite a few years ago remarkably intact even down to the original engine & was restored with a 1750 & 5 speed box + those wire wheels... plus those truly diabolical dash lights....... each to his own I guess

Was sold by Bill a few years ago & now being re-sold by him again - he knows his stuff.

There are the pics from the orignal find

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
Arg ... those wire wheels look so wrong! And those spot lights, my eyes!

Thank goodness the original engine and gearbox is included in the sale. What a great little rare car that should be restored back to original condition IMO
Pete

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi all,
Have you noticed the selfmade fan on the non restored car? What is the little part above the fispa fuel filter? An inspection light for the motor bay ?

Thierry

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
It's an original Lightweight 1493E*04768 with Bertone Number 77596 & engine 1315*30666 (the motor of the Beast). Been on my Lightweight Register for quite a while now.

Was found in Mexico quite a few years ago remarkably intact even down to the original engine & was restored with a 1750 & 5 speed box + those wire wheels... plus those truly diabolical dash lights....... each to his own I guess

Was sold by Bill a few years ago & now being re-sold by him again - he knows his stuff.

There are the pics from the orignal find

Ciao
Greig
What is with the steel trunk lid and tall tail lights?

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
Have you noticed the selfmade fan on the non restored car? What is the little part above the fispa fuel filter? An inspection light for the motor bay ?
Do you mean the engine fan or heater fan? It is running a later, 1750 engine, so the engine fan isn't correct for a Giulietta. Given the inspection lights over the gauges, I wouldn't be surprised to find another one in the engine bay.

Hey, this thing has disk brakes!

And, it was built by Willys

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
divotandtralee: How can you tell the trunk lid is steel? I'm not disagreeing, just asking. The BaT write-up says: The Alleggerita body was built by Bertone with aluminum doors and decklids, as well as lightweight, sliding side windows made of Plexiglass, but admittedly that's just repeating what's standard on a lightweight.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
divotandtralee: How can you tell the trunk lid is steel? I'm not disagreeing, just asking. The BaT write-up says: The Alleggerita body was built by Bertone with aluminum doors and decklids, as well as lightweight, sliding side windows made of Plexiglass, but admittedly that's just repeating what's standard on a lightweight.
Jay.. the lid is ferric oxide in photo #170.. and the taillights in the same shot are not from a LW... So questions about a replacement rear clip might want to be answered if you are dropping a college education at Stanford on this specimen. History speaks and there is none other than a Mexican owner and assembly.. Documented cars offer legitimate value. This one is very murky... Just my opinion.
. If one was selling it for TOP dollar wouldn't ONE put the correct engine and trans in it and set the 1750 aside and have the car in hand without an excuse the tow truck broke down? . Lots of eye openers and watering in this presentation. The brake "upgrade" is not a plus EITHER. Truth be told, it will take a desperate buyer who hasn't a clue what he thinks he is getting into. My sugar coating left me a long time ago. U.

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
Jay.. the lid is ferric oxide in photo #170.. and the taillights in the same shot are not from a LW...
OK, now I see your point about the deck lid and tail lights. However, photos of the car finished show the smaller, triangular Giulietta tail lights (would they be correct for a '57 or should it have the oval, Lucas lights?). So some work was done to the rear sheet metal during restoration, but whether the correct, aluminum decklid was installed is an unknown.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Curious if the trunk was changed to back to aluminum ... the tail lights are still wanting ... fixable but annoying

I suspect those diabolical dash lights exist because the car may have sported a race tach that was not illuminated from the inside ... like an old Veglia

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 5.03.21 PM.png

·
Administrator
4,159 Posts
My understanding of the Willys Mexicana assembly is that as per the blurb, it was limited to installing the motor & box which were shipped separately to the finished cars - this was to get around the import tax of completed cars coming into the country. I was unaware that the wheels were also not fitted, but could well believe it as our '68 Nissan Silvia CSP311 Coupe was driven off the boat directly to the local dealer on shaped wooden blocks around the rims held on with a thick piece of wire in a centre groove. The Dealer removed these & fitted local tyres. There were creative ways to get around import laws.

My wise & learned Uncle D&T is correct, in the un-restored pictures the trunk lid is steel & those are 101 Sprint tail lights, but in the restoration pictures the trunk lid looks like the rest of the shell, while the doors are clearly aluminium - a potential buyer would be wise to take a magnet with them. The new smaller tail lights are repops for a Spider, Alleggerita posted the correct ones above.

Agree that for top $$$ the original engine & box should have been installed along with the drums - fitting the split case would have necessitated sheet metal changes to the tranny tunnel which would need to be reversed. The original carpet colour would have been red. Agree with Alleggerita the horrible dash lights were probably for a different tach.... but they should really have eliminated them for the restoration

On a personal level - I'm not a fan of wire wheels on Giulietta's, but then again I have to confess I'm not actually a fan of Nardi steering wheels either

Be interesting to see where this one ends up in the midst of this economic madness

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Lots of pedigree was lost when two or three shops touched it in the process of restoration... Obviously, those details are lost to the ages which makes them so important from a historical sense which translates to value. It wiil always be what it is and that might not be the best of all worlds from an investment view.. The true afficianados will be all over it like a flock of magpies and that is not a good thing in my opinion. There are other fish to fry in this genre that are better represented. It's not a total disaster but there are enough isues to make it almost .I'd have to throw my hands to the sky and start all over and do it MYSELF.....keep the historical driving photos and trashing everything else... but they won't be shredded in this world. A quarter of a million deserves a better result.....You can restore the Statue of Libertty.. but you can't use your imagination to what it should have been in the present day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts